Low gluten foods or low carb right type to use

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ritamc, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ritamc

ritamc New Member

Hi :?
    About 2 weeks ago i stopped giving Baby Blue dry food and her numbers dropped about 100 pts. And more importantly she began to do things she had not done in a long time like play and go out in the backyard. Now I want to change her from Purina D/M to a low carb food. I was at my local pet food store talking to the owner and she showed me low gluten food in several brand names. My question is are these the type of foods i want for my baby. or what Need help in deciding what my right move is. And how do you decide. Ad more importantly how do you switch food. Any advise greatly needed You guys have been great in the past so please help me again thanks Rita and Baby Blue.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Moving to health. Leaving shadow topic here so the OP can find it.

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Low carb canned food is good. It doesn't have to be gluten-free unless your cat is allergic to gluten.

Here is a list of low carb gluten free Fancy Feast: http://www.felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm

To find other brands of low carb canned foods, use Binky's food charts: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html Look at the column for carbs and choose the ones that have a number 10 or less. Fancy Feast, Friskies, Wellness, Special Kitty, Nature's Variety Instinct are just a few brands you can feed. Feed whatever brand(s) your cat likes to eat and you can afford and can find in the local stores.

Feed low carb treats, too. Here is a thread with suggestions: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9172

Very gradually to avoid an upset tummy.

Are you feeding the dry DM or the canned DM? If it's canned, then you can just slowly add in the low carb food while decreasing the DM. Keep a close eye on the blood glucose levels. Are you testing your cat's blood glucose levels at home?

If it's dry DM, then you need to be extra cautious with the food change and keep a very close eye on blood glucose levels. Going from dry food to low carb canned has a big impact on blood glucose levels and insulin need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.