? Low #

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by racn1320, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Just checked her and she is about at her peak time,her number was never this low, is 48 something to be concerned about? I did give her some dry kibble to get her numbers up

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Test 20 minutes after the kibble.

How carby is the kibble? How many hours since shot?

3. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Alot of carbs. Fancy feast hard food. On lantus shot was at 632 am. Tested her 8.5 hrs into shot which is prime time. Will test again in 30 min

4. Red & Rover (GA)

What was the pre shot test reading? How many units?

A spreadsheet would really help any eyes that are following. Do you have one?

5. racn1320

racn1320 Member

No spreadsheet here sorry.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What time zone are you in? 6:32 means different things depending where you are.

I would test 1/2 hour after that 48, don't wait an hour. You want to make sure she's on her way up.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Go easy on the kibble... Just give a tablespoon. You wanna bring her up a little and surf.... Not catapult to the moon.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Or better yet just give a little of the regular food.

9. Red & Rover (GA)

I see that she had trace ketones in April; and also some vomiting in July.

10. racn1320

racn1320 Member

45 min later new test is at 60

11. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Im eastern timezone

12. racn1320

racn1320 Member

I dont have to much expierence with preshot numbers so i dont have one from today. Her next shot is due in 3 hrs,should i skip this shot?

13. Wendy&Neko

What dose did you give this morning? It is too high a dose, she needs a lower dose.

Any chance you can get a preshot test tonight, post here for help, before giving insulin. If it's below 200, I would skip the shot tonight.

14. Red & Rover (GA)

So, we are now at +9.25.

15. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Pretty much normal dose but maybe a tad extra,i mean a tad. I only had two test strips,not sure if i want to leave her alone and go get more?

16. Wendy&Neko

How many units is the "normal dose"?

17. Wendy&Neko

I would get one more test in 45 minutes, and if she's even higher, you can go get more test strips. How much later is the store open today?

18. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Two per shot,might have been near 2.25

19. Red & Rover (GA)

How long has she been on 2 units?

20. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Since diagnosed around 2 years

21. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Any friendly neighbour or family member or friend that could grab some for you?

Red & Rover (GA) and Wendy&Neko like this.
  22. Wendy&Neko

A cat's insulin needs can change over time. I would try shooting 1.75 units as her next dose. But only shoot tonight if you have test strips and can test her.

23. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Ok another 45. Min and back up to 115. So if she is over 200 be ok to shoot at normal time? I can only preshot test her tomorrow before work,ill be gone all day

24. Wendy&Neko

Time to rush out and get some test strips. Make sure you give the smaller dose at her next shot.

25. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Out getting some now,should i give her 1.5 units if she is over 200?

26. Red & Rover (GA)

With Lantus, you want to look at how low the cat goes on a dose and not how high the cat is. It is obvious with the 48 that the dose is too high.

What you may see in the next few hours is a high bounce from the low number the cat threw this afternoon.

A bounce is when the body realizes that the Blood Glucose has gone too low and panics, dumping a whole pile of glucose into the system. Bounces are temporary but can take a few cycles to clear.

You are coming up to shot time soon. I'd suggest getting a test one hour before the shot (+11), then post that number asking for help.

If you can manage to do pre shot tests and then a few mid cycle tests (at night and on days when you are not at work), it would give you the background you need to keep your cat safe.

27. Red & Rover (GA)

It's 45 minutes before PM shot time. Have you managed to get strips and test? Have you fed recently?

Ideally, there should be no food for 2 hours before the shot.

28. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Getting ready to test now. So whats the normal range 50-80? Was she in danger? She seems fine,is she out of the woods now that numbers are up? Thank u

29. racn1320

racn1320 Member

New number 30 min before shot time is 258. Full dose?

30. Red & Rover (GA)

50 is the "take action" number. She may have dropped even more before the +8.5 test. Testing is the only way to keep your cat safe. A lot of cats show no outward symptoms of a hypo until it is too late.

@Wendy&Neko suggested a dose of 1.75 units (as long as you are able to get in some tests tonight because the larger depot from the 2 units is still in play).

A 1.75 dose is halfway between the 1.5 mark and the 2.0 mark if you are using half unit marked syringes.

If you are using syringes with full unit markings only, measure a 1.5 dose (the bottom of the inside part of the syringe) and add just a tiny bit more. You will have eyeball it. You want to measure from the bottom end of the inside of the syringe.

If you cannot test often tonight, I'd go with the 1.5 units and test as much as you are able to.

31. Red & Rover (GA)

It would really help a lot during circumstances like today if you can get a spreadsheet started. If you have any difficulties doing so, please ask for help. There are a number of spreadsheet geniuses here who are more than willing to help set one up.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  32. racn1320

racn1320 Member

I will test before work tomorrow. If she is around 200 or higher would it be safe to go with full dose before work? Luckily i only work two days this week so i can test the other three days.

33. Red & Rover (GA)

Glad you will be able to test.

Dosing is based on how low the cat goes, not how high. The 48 earned her a reduction. Do not shoot the 2 unit dose. It is too high and may put your cat in danger, especially if you are not able to test the next 2 days.

34. Wendy&Neko

Many non diabetic kitties test in the 40's. We just don't want diabetic kitties to go there because it leaves no room to go lower. If you are testing and catch them in the 40's and give food, they Re safe. That is why we are such fans of home testing.

35. racn1320

racn1320 Member

I was going to try a used,new tester someone gave me they hardly used. I tried it today but the strips were expired since may and i didnt get a reading. Nice to have a back up i guess

36. Red & Rover (GA)

You may see high numbers in the morning. It will be a "bounce" from the 48. It bounce is temporary, lasting anywhere from one to six cycles.

"Bouncing - Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast. The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver."

Always good to have a back up.

37. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Im surprised it took that long to get her numbers up after eating the dry food,and btw she loved the dry food,begged for it lol

38. Red & Rover (GA)

What dosage did you shoot tonight?

39. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Between 1.5 to 1.75

40. Red & Rover (GA)

Was there a test after the +11.5 258?

If you can get a +1 and +2 test in tonight, that would be good. The +2 especially will tell you whether or not tonight's cycle will be a busy one.

When you get a second, could you take down the 911 and replace it with a question mark? The 911 is not needed at the moment and you can always put it back up if necessary.

I'm going offline. I need to eat. There are almost always other people around if you have questions or concerns.

41. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Ill try for hr two,she has about had it with the ear pricks tnight,i dont blame her. Where abouts would the number be if it were a busy cycle?

42. Red & Rover (GA)

A lower number at +2 can signify the start of an active cycle (which would need further monitoring to make sure it doesn't become too active like today's cycle).

43. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Tested two hrs after shot,her numbers are way up,must have gave to much kibble? Test again in am

44. Wendy&Neko

She is probably bouncing. It is her body's natural protective reaction to the low numbers.

45. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Hope she doesnt have ketosis issues now

46. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Preshot before work this am was high and 428. Gave her almost 2 units. Going to take half day off at work to go back and test at peak time.

47. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

It's because dry food takes longer to metabolize so we usually use wet foods with gravy to get a kitty out of hypo territory :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.