Luci 1/9/18 AMPS 283

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sue and Luci, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Luci had a tablespoon of chicken baby food and a few crumbles of freeze dried chicken at 6:30 am Hubby isn't up then so no BG until 7:55, then fed her FF salmon with more freeze dried chicken crumbles. She was eating with gusto when I gave her 1 unit Lantus. Other than a wince she wasn't distracted from her food for long. I'm so happy to see her actually interested and eating her food! I think it was the freeze dried chicken - she got excited about that! Was actually 'scratching over' the baby food offering - although she was hungry - but once the freeze dried chicken went on - she was all over it and licked up every morsel!

Thank you for that recommendation. Will get some additional info this morning (BG in an hour or three)..as many as we can today.

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

You are doing good with Luci so far!

I read about you needing 2 people to hold Luci to do her BG test. If able, could you sit or kneel on the floor with Luci backed up to you so she's facing out? Then she cannot back out while you are testing her. I have everything within hold when I test Rex while I'm still holding him. I do use both hands to poke his ear, but Rex can't move with my arms encircling him. Then I hold with one hand while I pick up the meter to draw up the blood. You could work up to that by seeing if you can get Luci into that position with some treats and pets.

3. Sue and Luci

I'll see what I can do - kneeling is out (I'm old and my knees are shot)...getting down on the floor also out - (age and bad back prevent that)...I'd be calling 911 for an assist - for me! But I could try sitting on the sofa or something and see if she'll just stick around for a bit of petting - she doesn't like to be held - for whatever reason - not a lap cat - by any means of the imagination...but we can practice...see how it goes :)

4. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I can understand about not being able to go on the floor. If you try the couch, you could sit next to an arm and have Luci between you and the arm with the back behind her. Good luck!!

Sue and Luci and Stacy & Asia like this.
  5. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Good morning, Sue! So glad to hear Luci is eating for you, that must be a relief!

Excited to see where Luci goes today. Maybe the freeze dried chicken would make a good test treat? Good luck with your kitty wrangling! ;)

Sue and Luci likes this.
  6. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Covering up the baby food, I love it! :joyful: Glad she's eating and that injecting was easy while she was eating.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  7. Sue and Luci

You cannot imagine my relief that she's eating again now! She really loves those freeze dried treats! I'll be looking for a better source - Pet Supply was kinda pricey for smaller bags. Walmart had none! I finally got into a couple of stores today! Amazon had the largest bag of freeze dried chicken - so may have to continue to look there...but it was no bargain either.

She really has tolerated the multiple pokes today like a champ! We're getting through it - wish I could say hubby and I were feeling better - he's feeling sick (that cold is really getting him down)...my back is still out of whack...Luci takes the trophy today for all around feeling better - from the looks of her - she seems relaxed and doesn't even think of vanishing when we're talking about a poke (I always say 'Do you want a TREAT')...maybe that's the key - it involves food...and she always gets some when we poke her... And I think back to what vet #1 told us...after he said 'put her down' - and I said I'd like to try to help her - he said, you may do that for a day or even three...but soon, she's going to catch on and disappear on you. You won't be able to get anywhere near her...once again - that guy was sadly mistaken. She lounges about on the floor - near the kitchen counter where all the 'torture' is happening (my thoughts, not hers)...as if she knows what's going to happen - but maybe it's about the food...and the 'other' goings on is simply an inconvenience...let's get to the FOOD! What a gal, huh? Gotta love her...and all her little oddities :) Yep, that's our cat; Miss Luci -and you'd better not forget who's in charge around here :) :):cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat:

8. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

So, so happy to hear this! :bighug: And so glad you didn’t listen to your vet about putting her to sleep. :(

My cats like the freeze dried chicken too, it is expensive. I buy it from a local pet store, but I buy the big box for dogs, some exact thing: freeze dried chicken, just a lot more for a lot less. I can break up one piece to get 4-5 treats at least out of it.

9. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

You gotta watch out... when Luci sees you bought the largest bag you could find she will suddenly decide she doesn't want to eat those anymore... at least that how many of the cats here are! :rolleyes:
    She's starting to associate food with the pokes, just like you said. Glad things are getting better and hope you both feel better soon.

Sue and Luci and Stacy & Asia like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.