? Lung infection and bg levels

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Carina Josefine, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carina Josefine

Carina Josefine Member

Kitty has had such a terrible week! She has been really ill. She has been to the vets five times, been under anesthesia twice (once for a feeding tube we had to take back out as it made her worse, and once for a CT scan). She eventually got diagnosed with a lung infection and pancreatitis. She is getting antibiotics now.

Her bg numbers have been through the roof, which is such a shame as she used to respond so well to insulin before she got ill. I have not done any curves, but ps tests have been high, and so has the tests around nadir.

I have opted not to increase more than just going back to 1 unit. At the moment this doesn't seem to be enough. What do you recommend?

Will the bg go down in it's own as the lung infection gets better? Or will she need am insulin increase? Should we increase while waiting for the infection to go, or hold steady?

The stress of all these vet visits might have contributed to the higher numbers as well. And I let her eat dry food these days. It's better than no food. She doesn't usually like wet food, and now we don't stand a chance. I syringe feed to make up for her not eating as much as she should, and that part is of course wet.

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Infection does raise BG and also the dry food is contributing but any food is better than no food so I think you are right about giving it to her, as the infection goes away, and she starts eating low carb again her numbers will get better no doubt, but in the mean time I think you probably need to increase the insulin dose and monitor so that you can start decreasing it as she gets better and you should monitor her for ketones since she's not eating properly and she's having high BG numbers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.