Lurking for months finally ready to test!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Stepheyne, Oct 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stepheyne

Stepheyne New Member

Thanks for the invaluable information from this site and FB group. You've been a beacon of hope & great inspiration! Charlie is 13ish. He was a feral cat I was feeding 12 years ago, that got hit by a car and then came to me for help. He had a broken pelvis and road rash. He's been my guy officially ever since. He almost died after he was neutered because of opening his incision after surgery and his blood not clotting (eating an animal who had been poisoned while he was outdoors was most likely the cause). More recently, he developed an oronsal fistula from teeth infections (that he hid from eveyone!). He's been through a lot but still has a great attitude. Diagnosis was Nov 2018.

Been working on adding wet food into his diet but cautiously because I have not been testing. He initially lost a little weight in the beginning, but has been holding steady for the past few months at 14.9lbs. Still drinking & peeing more than I think is normal, but an improvement from prediagnosis. I have all the supplies and finally tried yesterday but eventually had to use the meter on myself to see exactly how to use it after 2 failed sessions with him. I've set a limit of 4 attempts, for both of our stress levels. He is currently on 3.5 u of Prozinc, eats the wd hard food and Friskies pate. I give him Miralax as well because he has issues with constipation (connected to/complicated by his car wreck I'm sure). I hope to get my spreadsheet up and running within a day or 2. Thanks for being here and all the assistance!

Attached Files:

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Stephenyne and I'm so glad you decided to post. There really is great information here and now you will have support too as you negotiate the feline diabetes territory.

Testing is a process of practice and patience, for both human and kitty. I am sharing a document by Chris & China (GA) that might help:

Here's something I wrote up for others for testing...maybe it'll help you too!

It can be really helpful to establish a routine with testing. Pick one spot that you want your "testing spot" to be (I like the kitchen counter because it's got good light and it's at a good height....it also already blocked 2 escape routes due to the wall and the backsplash) It can be anywhere though...a rug on the floor, a table, a particular spot on the couch...wherever is good for you.

Take him there as many times a day as you can and just give his ears a quick rub and then he gets a yummy (low carb) treat. Most cats aren't objecting so much with the poking..it's the fooling with their ears they don't like, but once they're desensitized to it and learn to associate a certain place with the treats, they usually start to come when they're called! Or even when they hear us opening the test kit!

You also have to remember...you're not poking him to hurt him...you're testing him to keep him safe and understand what's going on inside his body. There's just nothing better than truly understanding what's going on inside your kitty's body and with this disease, the more knowledge you have, the more power you have against it. The edges of the ears have very few pain receptors, so it really doesn't hurt them. Also, if you're nervous and tense, it's going to make your kitty nervous and tense too. As silly as it might seem, try singing! It forces you to use a different part of your brain!

It's also important to make sure his ear is warm. A small sock filled with a little rice and microwaved or a small pill bottle filled with warm water (check temp against your wrist like you would a baby bottle) works well

For new kitties, using a heavier gauge lancet is also really helpful. A 25-28 gauge lancet pokes a bigger "hole" than a 31-33 gauge lancet does, so look for "Alternate Site testing" lancets that are usually a lower number

Finding the right "treat" will be a great help too! Freeze dried chicken, bonito flakes, little pieces of baked chicken...whatever low carb treat you can find that he really enjoys will help him to associate the testing with the treat! China's Achilles heel was baked chicken, so I'd bake a piece, chop it into bite sized pieces, put some in the refrigerator and freeze the rest to use as needed. It didn't take long for her to come any time I picked up the meter!
    Please start a new thread in the Main Health forum, there are lots of members who have passed through this hurdle and will have other tips/tricks and can offer lots of support.

Diet is a another really important factor in treatment, as I'm sure you have read. The dry food is probably pretty high in carbs, and if you will consider alternatives, that Prozinc dose may be in line to be reduced. That could be a discussion in the Main Health forum also.

But, again, I'm so glad you decided to join the community and let us get to know you and Charlie. He's had enough grief to outlast even a cat's 9 lives and we want to help you help him.

3. Stepheyne

Stepheyne New Member

Thanks for the tips about the counter and singing. Just had a successful test! 360 was his number.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Oh, congratulations on the test Stepheyne. Very good going! I can't take credit for the hints and helps though, Chris & China (GA) wrote them for someone and I thought they were so good I copied and saved them.

Now you have the first testing number to put into the spreadsheet.
    The link to the spreadsheet will be put into the signature and then you, and we, can see the trends and patterns of how the insulin is working for Charlie. :)

Going forward now, I suggest further posts regarding testing, diet, all general health issues be in the Main Health forum. Please visit the Prozinc forum, meet and greet the fellow Prozinc users there and ask your questions about using that insulin and dosing there.

This forum is only the welcome mat, to say "Hello, here we are, and what's next?" You are part of the community now and I would like the other members to have the opportunity to meet you and Charlie too.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to you and Charlie.
    He is gorgeous!
    I am very partial to ginger kitties.
    See you over on the main forum.
    So pleased you are joining our wonderful community
    Bron.

6. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

Hey, welcome and wow what a gorgeous and very lucky boy you have on your hands, talk about 9 lives hey! This place is a godsend and you will love it. Keep asking questions and you will get help.

All the very best

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.