mannie dental on tuesday ~~ sealant question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michelle and Mannie (GA), Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi all!

Mannie has a dental cleaning scheduled for this Tuesday. I know at this time I will be discussing with my vet some proactive measures I can do at home to help take care of what is becoming a problem for my kitty. She mentioned sealants when I made the appt. I wondered if anyone has ever done this, was it worth the effort and the expense? Or am I better off just trying a daily gel that will help with tartar buildup control. Or even attempting the dreaded brushing thing.....

Has anyone had any experience with any of the above? Really curious about sealants....

Thanks!

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

mocha just had a dental done a month ago. It was her first and I was allllllllll nervous! Ended up needing 8 teeth extracted :eek: was not expecting that! But the vet told us we can try to take care of her teeth by brushing them, and gave us the right toothpaste for her to use, being a diabetic and all. Anyways, we have tried off and on about brushing her teeth. It was a no go. She LOVES q tips rubbed all over her face so we figured she would love them in her mouth too. Nope. She wrestles us and in the end, we are exhausted and let her go without really doing any good. Told this to the vet yesterday actually, at her 1 month check up. The vet tried to show us the best way to go about brushing her teeth, but even the board certified vet could not get mochas teeth brushed! She told us if mocha will lick up the toothpaste off our fingers (which she will) that might have to be good enough for her. Plus we bought some dental treats that are supposed to help with her tartar and what not. I posted about them and a lot of people mentioned what they use for their kitties mouths.

I don't know much about sealants, other then when mocha had her dental, included in the dental receipt it did say 1 oravet barrier sealant application, and in the follow up notes it said those would wear off in 1 week roughly. That is all I know about those.

I hope some of this you found helpful!

3. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

thank you peter!!! I have a very strong feeling that Mannie will be the same way. All around the face is ok, except for the mouth. such fuss anytime I try to look, or, when needed, pill him. Dang near lost my fingers. so i expect brushing will be a definite no go. I did read your post the other day on your vet trip (wow - what an adventure!!), and am looking into dental treats, etc. Ann wrote on my lantus post about a few options she has found, as I hear Tess is also very prone to dental issues. so - i think I am getting a handle on all of this....

Do know that I need to do something at home, as this will be his second dental this year, last was in October. Can't afford it number one, and really don't want to keep "putting him under" for teeth cleaning, esp twice a year. Funny - never had dental issues like this with him until he was diagnosed with FD. Never needed cleaning in 12 years, and now, since FD - what a mess! Aiyee!

interesting that the sealants only last a week. well - doesn't make much sense, but what do i know. Guess we will see what the vet says, but have a feeling I will not go that route, esp if it's only good for a week.

Thanks again for writing on my post. much appreciated!!!

4. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

Sorry i don't know anything about sealants but man oh' man we are all too familiar with dentals over here (diabetic Molly and the civvies - yikes, that sounds like a bad rock band :smile: ). As for proactive strategies - even with the best intentions, i'm not sure it's possible.

Just wanted to say Good Luck on Tuesday - always a nerve racking experience for sure. Let us know how Mannie does - sending good vibes your way. -Michele

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

6. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Hi Michele! You very well may be right! Thought I'd give it a shot - maybe I'll get lucky :lol: guess i will know in a while, huh. thanks so much for the good vibes - he will not be a happy kitty when that carrier comes out on Tu morning. :smile:

i like that rock'n'roll band - might just be a hit!

And thanks for the link Larry - I will check it out. Much appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.