Marcus-the NEW Diabetic-and Nicki

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicki & Marcus, Mar 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicki & Marcus

Nicki & Marcus Member

Hi everyone!
    My daughter and I have 3 cats--Almost-10-year-old brothers, Marcus and Max, and a rescued barn cat, Toby. I noticed that Marcus, a big orange guy, tipping the scales at 19 pounds, was drinking an excessive amount of water in February. He began waiting by the sink and tub for the water to come on. When I cleaned the litter boxes, the litter was like cement! He began peeing on towels or any piece of laundry that might have found its way to the floor. It clicked that diabetes might be a possibility, so I took him in to the vet. His BG was 480. I had to bring him back to stay for several days while they worked on his insulin level. Five days later, I took him home on 1 unit of Lantus twice a day. He's such a good boy that he just sits there for the injection, which we usually give him while he is eating.

I am anxious to learn more about feeding and monitoring. I have the meter and we started checking his blood tonight. I will post on the other page soon to get more advice on that, because I am just figuring this all out. My vet did not really get into things that I'm learning online that could help. I am so glad to have found you all!

Nicki and Marcus

2. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! Unless he had ketones, an overnight stay was not necessary. That must have been expensive!

Get them all on low carb wet food. Most of us feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods.

Of you have any questions please write on the main health or lantus forum.

Love big orange cats. :)

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! Isn't he a handsome big guy! :)

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

6. Nicki & Marcus

Nicki & Marcus Member

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Marcus thanks you also...well, I think he does. He is a cat, and he doesn't want you to think he CARES what a human thinks or says, but deep down where he doesn't even know it, he does!

I have him and the other 2 cats on exactly what you said--Friskies pate and Fancy Feast--we cut out the dry, which we gave them the other half of the day. My vet, though, said he could eat wet or dry--but I have read up on this, and I disagree. I want him on low carb/high protein like the rest of you feed yours. I'm hoping and praying for that miracle!

On March 20-24, my daughter and I will be out of town. I am having a neighbor come for the cats--well, except Marcus. I am letting the vet keep him--not looking forward to the cost, but I want someone keeping a closer eye on him. I'm not asking them to do any testing with their equipment while he's there--I'm going to leave mine to avoid the $25 charge for each one done. I'm also leaving my food for him to insure that he gets what I want him to get. I'm sure he won't be excited about staying, but I'm afraid to leave him this soon after being diagnosed.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Sounds good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.