Martini 11/24 - TR question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SMM, Nov 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMM

SMM Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/martini-11-17-one-day-on-tr.186813/

Hope everyone got their fill of turkey and the fixins! :)

This is my first go at TR with Martini. I am in 8th cycle of 2.00. TR I believe can go to 10? 2 Units seems to be a great dose for her but looks like every second day she is bouncing from the beautiful greens. I try feeding a tsp when I can to stop big jumps, but obviously Martini has other thoughts. Is there any way to stop this horrid bouncing? Just Patience Pants while she gets used to lower numbers??? My real question is since she has been bouncing on the 2 units, if I increase today or tomorrow to 2.25, won't the bounce/NDW/drops in BG's be worse? What is the TR protocol for 2 days bounce out of 4 days on TR? I'm leery of increasing again. Thank you to all for any input!!!

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

You can stay on a dose for as long as it's working. This dose is doing really well for Matini, the nadirs are nice, low greens, I don't think you have cause or room for an increase. The bouncing is normal and she is trying to get used to lower numbers. I just read an amazing thread last night about bouncing, let me try to dig it up for you...

Gill & George and SMM like this.
  3. Stacy & Asia

4. SMM

SMM Member

Great thread, thank you Stacy! But on TR aren't you 'supposed' to increase every 3-5 days? I don't think there is cause/room either, but I don't want anyone to say I'm not following protocol either and that's why I'm having issues with Martini....
    Catch 22 ;)

5. Stacy & Asia

Definitely not. It's written as you can increase that often, if necessary. You only increase if there is cause for it. If it's a good dose, it sticks for however long it's working. :)

SMM likes this.
  6. SMM

SMM Member

Fantastic! I've read that protocol so many times and missed this! I'm not the sharpest tack in the box at times! Sincere thanks!! :bighug:

7. Stacy & Asia

It's confusing sometimes, I think we've all been confused (me: a lot)! It's not explicitly spelled out what you do when you find a good dose. The wording says things like "hold a dose for a minimum of X days..." no maximum is defined, because it could be 10 cycles, could be 20 cycles or more, as long as you are seeing good green nadirs, you continue until the numbers dictate otherwise.

Hope Martini stays happy and green on this dose for many more cycles! :D:D:D:D

SMM likes this.
  8. Toro & Ovi

Toro & Ovi Member

I’d say to hold for now and watch the numbers. They will hopefully level up somewhere and you take it from there. You don’t want to see yellows but right now the nadirs are pretty low to push more. Patience, I believe what you did until now is perfect.

SMM likes this.
  9. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

I agree, with Ovi and Stacy, hold the dose for now.

It is true that with TR you reassess the dose every 6 cycles, but it doesn't mean you take them up every 6 cycles. The dosing is based on how low the dose is getting kitty, so you are looking to see where his nadirs are falling and ask yourself is there room to take him up, we largely ignore the bounces.

Martini got to 62 on this dose last night, no real margin to take him up in dose. He is bouncing now, so for now you wait and see where he lands when he clears the bounce, he cleared his last bounce on cycle two, so you may well find he clears this bounce sooner rather than later.
    As long as his nadirs continue to fall in an acceptable range you would hold on to the dose. Only looking to increase if his nadirs start to creep up.
    Basically you can hold on to a dose as long as you need to.

He seems to like the 2u.:D

SMM likes this.
  10. SMM

SMM Member

Many thanks to all who replied! I will hold the dose for my Princess as long as she keeps liking the toosies! :)
    I just feel bad for her when she is high as I can 'see' she doesn't feel well. :(

Gill & George likes this.
  11. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

How often are you feeding her during the first 4 hours? Cats bounce until they stop but with Max I found if I fed the curve he leveled out. I’d test at what his onset was and then feed a little based upon each test until +4-5. The idea was to try to prevent him dropping too low and keep his m surfing.

Gill & George and SMM like this.
  12. SMM

SMM Member

Martini (IF she 'accepts' the food I'm giving - little devil is off FF meats and some seafoods also!) will eat all her food. She lets me know she's not had enough too. She is not hungry after that and just goes to sleep, even if she falls really really low. I cannot leave out food as I have another vulture who will devour it too. If my testing after eating is low, I do try to give her a bit of food exactly for the reason you said - to keep her dropping too low. I'm sorry I don't always write that on my spreadsheet, I tend to only write about food when she's really really low - mea culpa. Thank you so much for your thoughts, they really are appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.