Martini 11/25 Drinking quite a bit

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SMM, Nov 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMM

SMM Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/martini-11-24-tr-question.187089/

So far Martini is loving her 2 units, thankfully - giving me good exercise/scares but that's OK! I know diabetes makes humans/cats thirsty. Martini is not drinking a lot generally now, JUST when she drops to low numbers. Scratching my head once again. Is this normal also? I can't find anything written about this, (not to say there isn't), probably just me again. :banghead:

Thank you for any info.

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Some very nice cycles on this dose, keep it up, Martini! :cat:

I don't know about the drinking thing, Asia was a thirsty cat with potential renal issues for some time before diabetes so that wasn't a symptom for me to catch. Maybe Martini is just not used to the low numbers so she's just trying to do something about it? No matter the cause, I don't think it's something to be too concerned about. If you're worried about low water intake in general, you could mix a little water in with her food.

SMM likes this.
  3. SMM

SMM Member

Thanks once again Stacy! :bighug: I'm not worried about low intake, she does drink a bit, but this low number big thirst has me baffled. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this???

4. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Generally it's the opposite, they drink more in high numbers.

Has she had a Labs done recently? Do you have copies?

FWIW, I add water to Georges food, even though he is in remission and does drink a fair bit from his fountain. He had signs of early kidney disease, so the extra water in his diet is precautionary. Diabetes can be tough on their kidneys so a lot of folk do add extra water to their kitties meals as a precaution.

If he is still drinking and peeing more than he should, I would be suspicious if there is something going on with his kidneys. No idea why you would only see it when he is in low numbers, unless it's that you are helicoptering more when he is low and are simply noticing something that he is doing all the time??

SMM likes this.
  5. SMM

SMM Member

Exactly Gill! She had labs done about a month ago - everything good, except for sugar :rolleyes: :)
    I do monitor the amount of water I put down and she is drinking a good amount I'm pretty sure (I add water too to her food also), it's just when she's low she goes straight to the bowl. Helicoptering! You are so funny!!! Possible (hehehe!) but I don't think so (famous last words). Even my husband whose head is in the clouds most of the time has commented on this.

6. Gill & George

Do you feed her by her water?

George would stand by his water bowl, it's where he gets fed, when he was dropping low, not because he wanted water, but because he wanted food.

When we had PJ partys he would lie by his fountain, I'd have to test him right there, he would stay there until his numbers came up. He wasn't drinking, just telling me he wasn't done eating. I would know we were out of the 'danger zone' because he would stroll back into the living room sit on his chair and start having a bath.
    If I had the time and inclination I could have probably calibrated distance from bowl with respect to his BG LOL

SMM likes this.
  7. SMM

SMM Member

No, her main water bowl is in the computer room. When she's low I never know (just by testing) she goes for the LONG drink (if I see it) and then just lies in her princess bed with no other symptoms. I guess it's because she is not sure what is happening or something?
    Smart kitty your George! :) Thank you for the chuckle on calibration too! :D

Gill & George likes this.
  8. Gill & George

More like gluttonous kitty:rolleyes:

SMM likes this.
  9. Netty N.

Netty N. Member

My boy Jones is pretty stable so I don't track very closely these days, but I noticed tonight that he was visiting his water dish over and over, so I tested him and he was at 43! He seems alert and playful otherwise, so I gave him a bit of HC and am trying to be cool with it. I hadn't heard of thirst being a symptom of low BG either so I've been poking around and saw your post. Martini isn't alone!

SMM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.