Marvin isn't responding to increased dose

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Marshmallow's Mom, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshmallow's Mom

Marshmallow's Mom Member

Hello,

I'm new to this - Marvin was diagnosed in late May. I have been testing using the Contour Next EZ monitor. We started at 1.0 units and I have been increasing based on the numbers and what I am learning here. However, it seems he was doing better (at least had yellow numbers) on the lower doses compared to now at 2.5.

From what I have read about "bouncing" I don't see that happening here. I understand bouncing happens when the levels get very low mid cycle. We are not getting very low mid cycle.

What would you do? Would you decrease back down or keep steady at 2.5 for now?

He is eating 100% low carb varieties of Fancy Feast. He gets 3-4 Temptations treats at testing time. At night, I leave out 0 carb Young Again dry food.

He is eating well, eliminating well, and I believe gaining some weight. He is consuming less water than before. His mood is sour, but that is not unusual for Marvin. He is more reclusive, but that is also not unusual...he goes through cycles.

Thank you for any input! Thank you for this forum...it has been a tremendous help!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. I am not sure if you realize it, but Temptations treats are very high in carbs. Some people use them to steer glucose levels up when a cat is going too low. So, it would help if you could find a lower-carb treat to use for testing. A lot of us use PureBites freeze dried treats.

Would it be possible for you to grab some nighttime mid-cycle tests? Some cats go lower at night. So, having some nighttime info helps ensure that it is not bouncing that you are seeing.

Based on the data you have, I would increase his dose to 2.75 tomorrow morning. You do not have to hold doses for as long as you have held the 2.5. If you try a dose for two days (4 cycles), and his numbers remain too high, go ahead and go up by .25 until you start seeing some better numbers.

3. Marshmallow's Mom

Marshmallow's Mom Member

Thank you! I will try and get some nighttime info for Marvin.

My syringes have 0.5 unit markings - can I just "eyeball" between to two lines?

...I figured that was the case with Temptations. Shoot. Marvin won't have anything to do with PureBites freeze dried treats. I feel so fortunate to have gotten him off dry food.

Would perhaps the Holistic Natural Feline Treats be possible for a testing treat? Or maybe a few of my other cat's dry kibble?

thank you again.

Holistic Natural Feline Treats
    CRUDE PROTEIN 32.0% min
    CRUDE FAT 20.0% min
    CRUDE FIBER 5.0% max
    MOISTURE 8.0% max
    TAURINE 0.17% min
    OMEGA-6 3.40% min
    OMEGA-3 1.45% min

other cat's dry kibble
    Crude Protein (min) 39.0%
    Crude Fat (min) 18.0%
    Crude Fiber (max) 6.0%
    Moisture (max) 10.0%
    Taurine (min) 0.15%
    Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (min) 2.5%
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids* (min) 1.0%

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Those are still high carb. If he won't go for the freeze dried meat, how does he feel about other meats... maybe some chicken breast or turkey (some people use lunchmeat - just have to be sure it does not have seasonings and things that are not good for him). If he will only go for the crunchy stuff, maybe you could get some Young Again Zero or Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein dry food and give just a few kibbles as a treat.

Yes, you can 'eyeball' between to marks to get the 1/4 units.

5. Marshmallow's Mom

Marshmallow's Mom Member

Thank you, FurBabiesMama!

I put in an order for some Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein dry to see if that will work. In the meantime, I'll also try cooked turkey or chicken.

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

@FurBabiesMama has given you some great advice. Hopefully getting rid of the temptations (I'm so sorry...I remember how much my sugar cat loved those!) and working the increases a little more often will help Marvin get away from those high numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.