Mary AMPS 203, Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah Smith, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Hoping for more eyes over here. Mary had a AMPS of 203, she was 211 2 hours ago. I am stalling, but really need to feed her. She is not eating on her own, syringe feeding. Ketones were present Monday at vet, but none yesterday. She will be getting dropped at vets for "daycare" this morning. Suggestions? We are on Prozinc

2. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Stalled for a half hour, she is now 189. I have to feed her, will not dose her this morning and let the vet know....

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi--

I'm not a ProZinc pro, so I hesitate to jump in here, but can you at least shoot a half-dose? She needs insulin after the DKA, 203 (or 189-- just posted) is not too low, and she'll be at the vet so she'll be monitored and kept safe from hypo. I really think she needs regular insulin to keep her out of DKA territory.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Sorry for the delay in the above reply, I was hunting up your old threads.

How is she eating this morning, are you still needing to syringe-feed or is she showing any signs of regaining an appetite?

5. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Still syringe feeding, RC recovery not aure of carb %. Will go with a half dose of .2 and check her before I put her in the carrier for the trip

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  6. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Thanks for the reply Nan, shes just new to this dance and I'm out of practice and was never an expert. She has so many variables going on right now, and has a URI starting on top of it.... I don't have enough personal experience or data on her reactions yet. keep thinking back to the 400pt drop on day 1....

7. Nan & Amber (GA)

It's a tough situation, no question. But especially with the URI starting, I'm very glad you shot some insulin-- the recipe for ketones is not enough insulin + not enough food + infection or other stressor, so she needs all the support you can give her at this delicate time. Glad she'll be at the vet for daycare, too-- I'm sure it's a relief for you! It is so stressful when our kitties are sick. :bighug:

By the way, the cat in your avatar is adorable-- is that Mary, or your other kitty?

Critter Mom and Sarah Smith like this.
  8. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

That is Cooter, he had steroid induced FD back in 2016. I need to change the pic, but he looks so awful right now I dont want to shame her :confused:

9. Nan & Amber (GA)

Awwww.... Well, take a "before" pic now, so you can compare to the "after" when you've got her feeling better!

Critter Mom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  10. Nan & Amber (GA)

Oooh, new picture! Love her expression ("mom, what are you doing???")!

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Nan & Amber (GA)

Sorry, meant to also ask: how is Mary doing today? How did it go at the vet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.