Maxima Glucose Meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Domino and Puff, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domino and Puff

Domino and Puff Member

Does anyone use this Maxima AST Glucose Meter from Hocks.com? There is a deal for a meter and 100 strips for $33.99. Replacement strips are 50 for $16.49. That is cheaper than the Relion that I currently use. Is there a catch?

http://diabetic-supplies.hocks.com/sear ... est+strips

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

I know Phoebe of Phoebe_Tiggy_Norton uses it and really likes it

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I love it - and Carolyn tried it, and also likes it.

The only catch is that I've never seen it in a store - only from www.hocks.com, so keep an eye on your inventory and order a few days before you run out.

I did have one go weird after about a year. The battery died, and i replaced the battery but it was flaky, giving errors and wasting strips so I just pitched it. After the Meter Deal (a one time offer), Maxima AST meter kits are $5. So -- easier to replace it than worry about "fixing" a flaky one.

Actually, I keep several new ones on hand to give to newbies.

4. Domino and Puff

Domino and Puff Member

Thanks!

I see that it takes slightly more blood than the Relion Micro which I use, but I think I might try it and see how it works. There is definitely a cost savings and I can always go back to the Relion if I don't like it.

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I use the Maxima, and it looks and functions alot like the One Touch Ultra, and I tested it against my OTU, and the readings were similar. I like that the strips come in a vial rather than individually wrapped, because I have little fine motor skills in my hands. Also, the vials hold 50 strips.

I am probably causing myself trouble because I will get competition, but there are sellers of the strips on Ebay. The best price I've gotten there on strips was $15 for 100 strips, including shipping. I really stole that one.

Venita

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.