May 31 Felix AMPS=267, +4=328; PMPS=550, photo

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Susan&Felix(GA), May 31, 2019.

1. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

prior thread, Felix in ER 5/28 to 5/30

To start with the good news: Felix came home yesterday after two nights in the ER although they hadn't been sure he'd come home at all. He's eating pretty well and seems to be tolerating his new meds. He's comfortable and affectionate. He loves kisses and has kissable tummy velvet!:kiss:

Two nights in a row last week, Felix had a short bout of coughing; I thought he might've taken off his winter coat all at once and got a hairball. Then he had a few days where he had a few bouts of coughing, several hours apart. It rained Sunday so the windows were closed, and he coughed fewer times; I suspected allergies. On Monday he coughed more again and his breathing looked kind of shallow, but he otherwise acted normal and cheerful, so I thought he could wait to see his regular vet on Tuesday for an asthma workup instead of taking him to the ER on Memorial Day. After x-rays, the vet at his regular clinic said I could take him to the ER immediately, but it would be reasonable if I wanted her to euthanize him there and then. Shock.

As mentioned in the prior thread, he had a thoracentesis two days in a row and an echocardiogram, and has been diagnosed with restrictive cardiomyopathy with a blood clot in his heart. All of the related terminology and concepts are new for me, and it's overwhelming. He has started on furosemide (Lasix), clopidogrel (Plavix), and pimobendan (Vetmedin). Furosemide can be hard on the kidneys, but fortunately he's starting out with relatively good kidney values (I realize cat kidneys have lost quite a bit of function before it shows up in labs as CKD). They had boxed up his chest fluid to send for out-of-house analysis for lymphoma, but after the echo they decided it wasn't worthwhile to pursue that.

After his DKA and diabetes diagnosis a couple years ago, I thought his lifespan would be shortened. Then I came to FDMB and saw so many kitties 19 or 20 years old and older, and I "decided" that Felix was going to be one of those long-lived kitties. Now he won't be. I've gotten somewhat different estimates of his life expectancy, but the doctors all say, just love him and enjoy him while you can. I'm not handling our new reality with much grace right now, but he's purring a lot, is eating well, and appears pain- and distress-free, so the time will come when I look back on now as good times.

Tomorrow is his (and Whiskey's!) Gotcha Day, five years together. Felix has certainly proved to be the most expensive kitty I've ever had, but he's worth a gazillion dollars. I love this tender, gentle little man so much.

As for his diabetes, I did go to the hospital for his shots and glucose tests, but you can see on his spreadsheet that diabetes has taken a back seat the past few days. And now PMPS=550:eek: I'm wondering if AM was a fur shot, or perhaps it's a bounce from yesterday's drop from blacks to yellows?

Photo attached of him plotting his escape route from the hospital.
    FelixBraveAtER.jpg

2. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

I'm so sorry to hear about Felix's diagnosis but he's here and purring, eating and happy, like you said. I learned a lot here on FDMB and one of the things that I tell myself all the time is: our cats are more than their numbers and diagnoses. When things turn rough but they're still eating and happy and comfortable, that's what I find most comforting.

3. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Good morning Susan and Felix :cat:.
    I am at a loss for any meaningful advice.
    I can say this... thoughts and my prayers are it’s you both :bighug:

Susan&Felix(GA) likes this.
  4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

My prayers are with you all and purring and eating are what counts the most! Glad there appears to be no pain!
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Make every day count! I do have a non diabetic cat that will be 20 in November he does have stage 2 ckd

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry about the diagnosis, but glad Felix is home with you and purring and eating. I've learned from my kitties that have had cancer to just take it one day at a time and make the most of each day. Try not to think about the future. I know it is not easy. No one knows how much time our kitties have left with us. You may want to put heart issues or something in your subject line to get some advice on his meds. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So sorry for your dx. One thing my vet told me with my previous kitty Smokey when was diagnosed with hcm and had asthma, with summer coming keep the house or at least one room very cold for him.

We don't have central air conditioning. We use window unit in spare bedroom that keeps the back end of house cool and a portable unit in the dining room that keeps the front end cool. Portable unit is only run when we are home and not when we are in kitchen or dining room. The window unit keeps the spare room really really cold. Smokey would seek out that room and hang out in there most of the time. It help him immensely as we are a high humidity area.

7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear that Felix has some additional challenges. The thing about cats...they do seem to take it day by day. So stay in the day with him and enjoy those cuddles and purrs. Those are the moments I miss the most with Jones. He was a great cuddler.

Thoughts of serenity and calm being sent to you and your family.