medication for Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Judy Delaney, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy Delaney

Judy Delaney New Member

Hey there, what is the name of the medication used to treat neuropathy? I ordered some but can't remember the name...my vet just wants to know what it is.

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Judy,
    Zobaline is 3mg of methyl B12 (methylcobalamin) with a tiny amount (200 mcg) of folic acid added also.

Eliz

4. Judy Delaney

Judy Delaney New Member

Yes that's it thank you so much

5. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I bought some on the web. I think it was $25 or so. But nearly the same product is at the grocery store. I just bought a bottle of B12 Methylcobalamine at HEB (grocery store) today for $8. And it is 10mg sublingual tabs, which I will break into half. Mixed in with Leo's food, he didn't even notice the new B12 today.

Judy Delaney likes this.
  6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Make sure there are no sweeteners in it.

Judy Delaney and Sharon14 like this.
  7. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I think the HEB B12 has some non-sugar sweetener in it.

8. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Some of the artificial sweeteners are bad for cats. Xylitol is actually poisonous for cats, so make sure it does not contain any.

Sharon14 likes this.
  9. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Good advice. It has mannitol in it, which is a diuretic to cats. Not toxic, and pretty small dose. But I'll take the B12 instead. It is supposed to help with neural issues. So if I get smarter in the next month, we'll know why :)
    Mannitol link

10. Judy Delaney

Judy Delaney New Member

Oh that's good to know because I spent $40 on some online with the shipping. Poor little guy needs something...sure hope it helps with his neuropathy. It doesn't help to have hardwood floors throughout the house as he has no grip.
    Thanks, Judy

11. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I bought Zobaline at Amazon here. But it's silly to be paying these higher prices to have sugar/xylitol left out.

We have 100% tile floors and Leo is slipping around too.

12. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

JeffJ and Elizabeth and Bertie like this.
  13. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Folks outside of the US often use this because the cost of importing Zobaline from the US has become a bit crazy. ..It is half the strength of Zobaline though so you need two of these to equal the dose of one Zobaline tablet.
    And, as Sharon quite rightly says (if you want to copy the Zobaline formulation) you can also add a little bit of folic acid, which acts synergystically with the B12. Even so, this can still work out a lot cheaper for some folks....

JeffJ likes this.
  14. njlarry

njlarry Member

What is the correct dosage?

15. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Just crush the whole pill/tab of Zobaline. They are pretty small and are 3 mg - 1 pill/tab per day.

Mix into the next bowl of food. I make a very small bowl of food to ensure it gets consumed by Leo during that mini-meal. It will color the food pink.

There is a good set of details about B12 for cats on Tanya's cat kidney disease site.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.