Meeko was spayed Friday and now is bloated

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather and Raja (GA), Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather and Raja (GA)

Heather and Raja (GA) Member

And she's passing gas. She also is more vocal than usual and is really clingy too. This just started today, she was fine Fri Sat and Sun. Her tummy feels firm, just like a baby's tummy after they have eaten and she doesn't cry out in pain when I press on it. She was also constantly purring..which isn't like her, she does purr a lot but not constant for an hour.

I gave her gas drops, which I've given her in the past when she was gassy. I can now hear her tummy gurgle every once in a while and she seems to have calmed down considerably but she is still right here next to me.

Her incision site seems ok. It's not red except for the line where the incision was. It's not hot either, it is a little swollen but not a whole lot. The stitches that I can see are not dissovable and I bring her in Saturday to get them removed.

They did give me pain medication to give her and I've been giving her that every 8 hours like it says.

Is this normal? Will she be ok? Any signs I need to look out for?

2. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

never have heard of this before...
    I would give the vet a call first thing this am to check in.
    keep us posted !

3. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

I'd definitely call the vet.

> She was also constantly purring..which isn't like her, she does
    > purr a lot but not constant for an hour.

Cats will also purr when they're in pain and to promote healing. But I'd still definitely call the vet.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Seems normal to me. However, I can't see Meeko so do not know for sure. Also, since she was spayed maybe last Thursday I would expect the abdominal to me more normal. I would call the vet to get a definite answer.

5. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Anything unusual post-surgical should be referred back to your vet.

Let us know what the vet says.

6. Heather and Raja (GA)

I figured a vet visit was in order but I'm trying to avoid that at all costs right now because I just cant take off work. I was off last week so there is no way I can take a day off now, I do have a call into the vet's office so now I'm just waiting for the vet to call me back. I bring her back on Saturday to get the stitches out so I'm hoping and praying it can wait until then. She seems better today but I had to leave her to go to work. I went ahead and gave her another dose of infant gas drops though she isn't gassy but she is still bloated. She seemed normal this morning though she was staying close to me the entire time I was getting ready for work

7. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Is she peeing and pooping ok??

8. Heather and Raja (GA)

Yes, I even watched her pee today just to make sure.

She is almost back to her old self now, except for the bloated tummy. She is a little more clingy but that's it. She is eating and drinking fine, going potty fine, and tormenting Raja just fine.

9. Heather and Raja (GA)

I've called the vet twice once this morning and once this evening and I get the same response.....we will leave a note for the vet. They clinic is now closed and I'm livid, they had plenty of time to call me 10 hours is more than enough time to call me back concerning my cat. I will be calling them every hour on the hour tomorrow until I talk to the vet.

10. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

I'd do the same ... they could have at least passed a message along to you via the receptionist.

11. Heather and Raja (GA)

ok after 23 1/2 hours and a not so very nice phone call to them at 730 I finally got a call back from TWO vets! LOL.

Both vets were nice and apologetic and told me they were swamped yesterday, I can understand that but it's still unacceptable to make a person wait almost 24 hours for something that might be a complication from a spay aka major surgery.

The first vet said she thinks it might be worms, I will go back and look at the paper work but I'm almost 100% positive Meeko was dewormed when she went in for her first round of shots when she was about 6 weeks....plus would they show up this late? She is almost 8 months old now and the only cat she has been around since I've gotten her is Raja who most certainly doesn't have worms and neither one goes outside on the grass, the best they get is the patio and I'm on the 2nd story.

The 2nd vet doesn't think it's a complication from the spay, she said in all her years she's never had something like this happen so she's leaning more towards worms too. She thinks it's just a coincidence and it very well might be, Meeko has always been a gassy kitty but she's never been bloated or uncomfortable before and it's been a good 3 months since I've had to give her any infant gas drops.

They open at 7am Saturday and I will be there bright and early, they want to look at the incision and hopefully remove the stitches and they will deworm her then if I want them too. Again I'm going to look at her records and bring them with me before I make the final decision on that, I don't think it will harm her to get a dewormer if she deosn't have worms but I don't want to give her something unnecessary either.

12. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I hope everything works out okay and look forward to seeing future posts.

Just wanted to add that when we deworm our foster kittens, we do have to deworm them again about a month later. There are eggs (I think) left behind. I'm still new to the kitten stuff and fostering, so maybe others can help.

The last group of kittens we had spayed all looked skinny after spaying, the bloating sound like gas. But, again, I'm no expert and very new to kitten stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.