Merlin AMPS 361

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cynthia & Merlin (GA), Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cynthia & Merlin (GA)

Cynthia & Merlin (GA) Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/previous-condo.201321/#post-2240786

Thank you for checking in M. It’s been a tough couple of days. I feel like I did him wrong by backing down his dose. He looked horrible
    At the 3.5u and I was questioning my jump from 1u to 2u. Today is not as bad, but he’s so week, slow, and distant. Fluids helped a lot last night; we are still finding that balance of whe/when not to give him fluids. Might be that it’s not every night, and not every other night, but 36 hours - 1-1/2 days. I am also considering replacing the ringers solution with saline since ringers has added calcium - thoughts? He laid beside me on our bed last night while I was watching the news and I patted his butt for a full hour. It helps him rest and forget about his discomfort. I’m not expecting any lower numbers at this dose. Merlin either needs a higher dose, or he has something else going on. Results from the acromegaly and IAA won’t be completed until next week. I ordered a refractometer to keep a check on his USG and am ordering omega 3 and aluminum hydroxide as well. It’s tough to change his diet because this is the only food he’s not had an issue with, it’s a novel protein, he really likes it, and I cannot upset the apple cart at this juncture. If he starts getting lower numbers, and he is feeling well, I’ll get right on that. This is so freakin’ hard to watch.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  2. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I am sorry I am unable to answer any of your questions, but I can send you waiting vines and bump up your post. I wish it wasn't so long between having the blood drawn and getting results. That time feels like it goes for-e-ver. My buddy Lou ended up being diagnosed with IAA after the end of that wait, so at least I got some answers.

Cynthia & Merlin (GA) likes this.
  3. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Check with your vet on switching fluids.....normosol doesn’t have the calcium but it can sting.

Good idea to check his USG....I also have a refractometer and it’s a good tool. Be sure you keep it calibrated :)

I also have to wonder what he might have going on. I’ve seen acro and IAA cats with sustained high BG and they didn’t have this behavior but every cat is different. What do your vets say?

Cynthia & Merlin (GA) likes this.
  4. Cynthia & Merlin (GA)

Cynthia & Merlin (GA) Member

His vet is kind of MIA. She’s handed him off to the Internist and if I go back to her, she’s happy to review his case for a fee. His Internist, although good in some areas, doesn’t think he even has an phosphorus issue. Asking vets isn’t always doable so I pose these questions on this board. Some things I just need to pursue on my own.

As far as his behavior, both vets are aware of what’s going on. His Internist has done her due diligence (blood work, ultrasound, physical evaluation, and tests send to MSU). It’s a wait and see. So please don’t ask me what his vets say; I’m frustrated enough.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.