Merrick BG as fed per values

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenny and Sue, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenny and Sue

Jenny and Sue Member

Hi all! I called Merrick today and got the "as fed per values" for Merrick BG (I'll give the %, can't quite make those formulas work for me):
    (If anyone can convert these like Binky's chart, I'd sure appreciate it)

all 3.2 oz. cans
    Beef: 12.91 protein, 7.57 fat, .28 carbs, .18 phosophorous; 846 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 76 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated)

Chicken: 9.99 protein, 9.06 fat, .68 carbs, .39 ; 984 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 89 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

Quail and Chicken: 11.03 protein, 9.21 fat, .52 carbs, .60 phosphorous; 859 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 79 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

Salmon: 9.48 protein, 9.47 fat, .67 carbs, .67 phosphorous; 890kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 80 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

Tuna: 11.34 protein, 7.68 fat, .54 carbs, .48 phosphorous; 909 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 82 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

Turkey: 11.58 protein, 10.22 fat, .68 carbs, .23 phosphorous; 945 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 85 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

I'm assuming these are good choices for diabetic cats. If I am wrong, please let me know!!! Thanks!

2. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Chicken, Beef and Turkey are the recommended Merrick varieties for diabetics. The Turkey, however, I think is 8 or 9% carbs which is higher than I like. I think the breakdown, and also the calorie count, for Merrick cans are on Janet/Binky's list...

3. Scruffy

Scruffy Member

Yes they are. Most are very good numbers.

4. Butterscotch

Butterscotch New Member

The "bg"before grain I think is very good for them too............

5. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

In re-reading this, I thought the OP was referring to the basic Merrick canned food; didn't realize "BG" was a different line. That said, let me amend my above post to endorse 'regular' Merrick chicken & beef flavors - I know nothing about "BG." I'll add that Stinky's switch from dry food to Merrick canned (chicken and/or beef), along with 11 days of insulin, put him into remission. Sorry for any confusion... although I would love to know the carb count in BG cans.

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

There's a downloadable spreadsheet calculator on Janet's web site that you can plug in as fed numbers and get actual nutritional info: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/foodfaq.html

Merrick Before Grain: http://beforegrain.com/ I only fed it when it first came as as a supplemental food and contained 100% meat or fish and water. That did not affect bgs at all. Merrick has since changed the formulas to include vitamins and minerals to make them complete diets.

7. Butterscotch

Butterscotch New Member

Squeem....when you say it did not effect BGS at all, do you mean it did nothing to lower? Or?

8. Butterscotch

Butterscotch New Member

And SaraJaye, when you say the beef Merrick do you mean the Cowboy cookout?

J&B~

9. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Yes - and the chicken is called "grammie's pot pie"

10. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

For my cat at least, the supplemental old Before Grain formula did nothing to lower or raise bgs.

11. Butterscotch

Butterscotch New Member

Thank you both, and thank you jennyandsue for posting that :)

12. Jenny and Sue

Jenny and Sue Member

Here are the full as fed per values. I called Merrick back and got the fiber, moisture, ash and calcium as well. I sent these to Janet so she can include them if she would like on her list!

Merrick BG, all 3.2 oz. cans

Beef: 12.91 protein, 7.57 fat, .28 carbs, .18 phosophorous, .40 fiber, 77.25 water, 1.58 ash, .17 calcium; 846 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 76 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated)

Chicken: 9.99 protein, 9.06 fat, .68 carbs, .39 phosphorous, .10 fiber, 77.43 water, 2.77 ash, .60 calcium; 984 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 89 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

Quail and Chicken: 11.03 protein, 9.21 fat, .52 carbs, .60 phosphorous, <1% fiber, 75.71 water, 3.52 ash, .95 calcium; 859 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 79 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

Salmon: 9.48 protein, 9.47 fat, .67 carbs, .67 phosphorous, <1% fiber, 77.26 water, 3.11 ash, .82 calcium; 890kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 80 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

Tuna: 11.34 protein, 7.68 fat, .54 carbs, .48 phosphorous, <1% fiber, 77.44 water, 3.01 ash, .72 calcium; 909 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 82 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

Turkey: 11.58 protein, 10.22 fat, .68 carbs, .23 phosphorous, <1% fiber, 75.75 water, 1.77 ash, .23 calcium; 945 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 85 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

13. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Jenny and Sue - How do we calculate this to show the percentage of carbs vs protein vs fat? I know Janet has a technique to plug these numbers in and figure it out, but I tried and I was hopeless. Anyone?

14. Jenny and Sue

Jenny and Sue Member

SarahJaye,

I'm hopeless too! I emailed Janet and Binky to ask about how to use the spreadsheet. I'm apparently a little challenged in that area!!!!

:) Hopefully someone can help us!

-Jenny

15. Jenny and Sue

Jenny and Sue Member

Sarah Jaye,
    I think I figured it out.

http://binkyspage.tripod.com/foodfaq.html

Enter the amounts I posted into the "amount" column. For the ones that said <1% for fiber, I put .1

If this is right, these foods (at least chicken, beef and turkey) are very low in carbs and phosphorous. I don't feed the seafood varieties very often.

Jenny

16. Jenny and Sue

Jenny and Sue Member

Using the spreadsheet from Janet and Binky,this is what I came up with:

Beef
    Protein~41
    Fat~58
    Carbs~1
    Fiber~.36
    Phosph~163
    Calories per 3.2 oz can~89

Chicken
    Protein~31
    Fat~67
    Carbs~2
    Fiber~.35
    Phosph~157
    Calories per 3.2 oz can~89

Turkey
    Protein~31
    Fat~67
    Carbs~2
    Fiber~.01
    Phosph~177
    Calories per 3.2 oz can~85

Quail and Chicken
    Protein~33
    Fat~66
    Carbs~1.5
    Fiber~.01
    Phosph~505
    Calories per 3.2 oz can~79

Salmon
    Protein~29
    Fat~69
    Carbs~2
    Fiber~.01
    Phosph~577
    Calories per 3.2 oz can~80

Tuna
    Protein~37
    Fat~61
    Carbs~2
    Fiber~.01
    Phosph~449
    Calories per 3.2 oz can~82

If these calculations are right, then the Beef, Chicken and Turkey varieties are great for kitties with CKD as well because they are so low in phosphorous!

17. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Jenny - you are a rockstar!!! It looks like I'll be adding BG into regular rotation. I can't believe the ultra-low carb numbers - even better than original Merrick beef. I'm really happy that I'll be able to offer more variety now. Thank you so much for figuring this out.

18. Jenny and Sue

Jenny and Sue Member

No problem! Cat food has kind of become my obsession lately! You should also check out the Evo 95% varieties as well. It's very low carb.

I'm fortunate to have a store here called Complete Petmart and if I buy by the case, the 13th case is free, which really helps out because I have FOUR cats to feed!!! ((And three outside cats as well!!!))

19. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm just beginning to try some Merrick on Maggie. I bought a can of Grammy's Pot Pie and noticed when I opened that it was for cats & kittens. Is there an adult formula? I was surprised at the small chunks of carrots! It also says on top of the can - chicken with gravy and then to the right "vegetable medley"??? I'm thinking there must be another Pot Pie for adult cats?

20. Scruffy

Scruffy Member

I currently have three flavors and they all say for cats or kittens. I have read there is no difference, kittens just get more.

21. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Thanks. I think Maggie likes it - I mixed some of it in with her old brand (Chopped Grill Sophisticat Supreme), and she pushed some of the chicken to the side but did try a little!

22. Jenny and Sue

Jenny and Sue Member

My cats like Merrick BG much more than the other Merrick flavors. I only feed Cowboy Cookout from regular Merrick, but I also have a cat who has CKD so I always try to choose foods that are low in phosphorous.

Merrick BG is much lower in carbs and phosphorous than regular Merrick.

23. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Thanks. I will check it out - the Grammy's PotPie is a little higher in carbs than I prefer for Maggie.

24. mimi1997

mimi1997 Member

I am shocked to see Tuna, Q+C, and Salmon have very high phosph.
    Should we stay away from that?
    I only looked at carbs, protein and fat.

25. Jenny and Sue

Jenny and Sue Member

I always avoid the seafood varieties. Only give them as a treat sometimes.

26. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Hi,
    Thanks; I just recently tried the Merrick BG chicken and also beef on Maggie, and she likes it. Petco near me just recently started carrying this brand. I am still giving her Sophisticat Supreme Chopped Grill which she also loves.

27. Jenny and Sue

Jenny and Sue Member

I think I may have to try this Sophisticat stuff!

28. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

It's a brand only sold at the PetsMart stores. I've not been able to find it in any other stores.

29. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Wrote Merrick (BG's parent) about this more than a month ago - trying to get their company line on carb count of BG; their response:

"Here is the information you requested.
    The BG has no carbs since its 96% meat."

Zero carbs? Really? Thoughts?

30. Jenny and Sue

Jenny and Sue Member

Really? I called them and asked for the "as fed per values" of Merrick BG. They gave me all of the values over the phone. This is what they gave me:

Merrick BG all 3.2 oz. cans

Beef: 12.91 protein, 7.57 fat, .28 carbs, .18 phosophorous; 846 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 76 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated)

Chicken: 9.99 protein, 9.06 fat, .68 carbs, .39 ; 984 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 89 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

Quail and Chicken: 11.03 protein, 9.21 fat, .52 carbs, .60 phosphorous; 859 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 79 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

Salmon: 9.48 protein, 9.47 fat, .67 carbs, .67 phosphorous; 890kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 80 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

Tuna: 11.34 protein, 7.68 fat, .54 carbs, .48 phosphorous; 909 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 82 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

Turkey: 11.58 protein, 10.22 fat, .68 carbs, .23 phosphorous; 945 kcal/kg (calculated) - a 3.2 oz can provides 85 kcal (calories) of matabolizable energy (calculated).

31. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I feed a few of the Merrick flavors, but hadn't seen the Before Grain locally. Maybe I'll look again, it's been a couple of years. I buy by the case from PetFoodDirect but don't want to find out that way.

Thanks for posting the values.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.