Merrick Wet Food is reversing Diabetes!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JennRoss86, May 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

I'm ready to discuss:

I'm a week into my "experiment" and my cat's BG level (first spot check of the day) read 119!

A few points:

1) I switched him cold turkey from Hill's Prescription w/d dry to Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet wet ONLY

2) He was on Lantus 9 units every 12 hours

3) For months in the less than a year since diagnosis his BG average has been 500 or higher
    (he was only ever in remission for two months around November of last year)

4) He's only had 5 units of insulin over the last six days with about 20 BG spot checks for monitoring

5) Over the last four days he has only gone above 300 once- and not below 300

6) His six day average is 365 with over 12 BG spot checks

7) Today, his BG as mentioned above, is in the "remission range"

8) He's only eating chicken and salmon right now, I've excluded the duck for the higher carb content

My theory is that it should stay in this range now with the food only. I cannot thank Dr. Pierson enough for her dedicated research (I used her catinfo.org for help) and with patience and love I was able to do this on my own, with no assistance from a vet. However, after another week or so of multiple BG checks, I plan to gather all of my own research and present this to my vet in hopes that she will recommend this food instead of selling Hill's exclusively.

Thank you, and if you have any questions or insights or just want to discuss! Let's go!

-Jenn and Mister Grey

Attached Files:

Fiona1 likes this.
  2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the good results you are getting with the diet change!

300 sound a little bit high to consider him on remission, usually we consider a cat in remission when he remains in the normal range under 120 without insulin, most cats remain in the range of a healthy cat 50 - 80mg/dL (2.7 - 4.4 mmol/L) with only sporadic higher or lower BG numbers. so I would suggest you keep monitoring him, he may need some more time of supporting him with insulin.

3. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

My reading today on him was 119, and my vet if he's under 200 he doesn't need insulin... so you mean his BG should be between 50-80? That sounds low...

4. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

And thank you, by the way!

5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

It is not too low and certainly not dangerous if you are not giving insulin, at the beginning when you do not have much information as to how your cat reacts to insulin it is true that is not recommended to shoot when you have numbers below 200 but as time progreses and you get more data you will give him insulin with lower numbers to help his pancreas and if he does goes into remission that would give him a strong remission

Prior to starting an OTJ trial (this is stop giving him insulin), one wants to see kitty mostly in the range of a healthy cat (50 - 80 mg/dL), but under 100 overall... with only occasional readings in the 100 - 120 range, and at this point they usually get a very small amount of insulin ( a drop even ), if he needs more insulin or his numbers are higher than this he may not be quite ready to be with out insulin

6. Veronica & Babu-chiri

No need for thanks I hope this information helps you

7. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

It did, very much. And is very appreciated! I just checked him again and he was at 185 (two hours ago he was 119)

So I just gave him .5 to try and get him under 100.

I just can't believe how quickly this diet helped him!!!

8. JennRoss86

JennRoss86 Member

I updated the title as to not mis-lead anyone as well!

9. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Yes it's impressive !!

10. Frankie619

Frankie619 New Member

That’s awesome! I saw impressive results switching off prescription I/D food as well. Hope your kitty is feeling better as well!

11. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

The quoted range is for a HUMAN meter. Since your signature says you're using the Alphatrak 2 PET meter, then yes, the 50-80 range is too low. You will want to aim for 70-120.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.