Merry Christmas & Meet Cashmere

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by mariko, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas, my dear LL family!
    It's been so long, and the board is new!
    I wanted to tell you the news... I have a new cat.
    It's going to be long, but can I tell you everything how this happened?

In late September, I started worrying that Ginger was spending too much time alone, and thought that maybe she might like a friend.
    So I started looking through some adoptable cats on various shelter's websites.
    A few of them caught my attention, but I was so deeply grieving still and didn't know if I really wanted to open my heart to another cat.
    So in October, I decided to visit the nearest shelter, not to adopt, but to test how I feel about it.
    And this visit made me realize that I wasn't ready at all yet. I just started crying and couldn't stop.
    Before I left the shelter, I explained to them that I wasn't ready to adopt a new cat yet, but could I please have a copy of their application form because I wanted to see what the adoption requirements are for future reference.
    Anyway, after this visit, I decided that I didn't want another cat yet, and stopped looking.
    But this one cat I saw on a different shelter's website kept coming back to my mind.
    She was a "special need" cat who had an inappropriate elimination issue, and was once adopted and returned because of this, but she was such a beautiful girl I was certain she'd be snatched in no time by someone who's willing to litter-box train her.

Then, one day I had a sign.
    One day, I was just walking down the street, it's the street around the block that always makes me think of Lucy because I used to walk around that block to calm myself down whenever I felt upset or overwhelmed while I was caring for her, and something fell from a pocket of my bag without me even touching.
    I picked it up and it was the application form I got from the first shelter I visited. I had forgotten about it.
    I thought.... is this a sign? and when I got home, checked on this cat.
    She was still there, and they uploaded a new photo. Her fur grew a lot since the first 2 pics I saw, and she was much fluffier and just the kind of cat I like, and of course I was even more drawn to her.
    From this day, checking on her on the website became my daily routine.
    I thought about it long and hard - about whether I'm ready, if Ginger would be OK, about the LB issue of this cat.
    Finally last week, I decided that the first thing was to meet her, so I went to meet her last Saturday.
    This shelter is about an hour drive away, and if I was going I wanted to go before it got any colder because I'm afraid of driving in snow.
    Anyway, I found out that her LB problem is only for pooping (I can deal with that!), and she was so cute, quiet and gentle. I didn't want a diva cat because that might stress Ginger too much.
    I felt right and wanted her, but I wanted to sleep on it, so I left.
    The people at the shelter seemed they had already given up on finding her home, and were happy about me still being interested in her after knowing about her LB issue, and gave me a pre-approval to adopt her any time I could make up my mind because "she'd be there forever".
    It bothered me a bit that she looks a bit like Lucy at first, but then after meeting her in person, she felt different and had a different presence and I thought anyway, what's wrong with being attracted to a cat who looks like the love of my life?
    I can't help it and I'll never get over it.
    Next day, I still felt right about her, so I drove an hour again and picked her up.
    I took her straight to the vet, got a clean bill of health, and brought her home.

Meet Cashmere.
    She already had this name and I am keeping it.
    She is 1 yr 7 mo old.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Above are the first 2 pics of her I saw.
    Below are the pics later added.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Today is her 5th day here, and she's been using her box like a good girl.
    Zero accident so far.
    She hid for 48 hours (Here, I called Wendy - "I adopted a cat, and I haven't seen her since we got home! I don't even know if she's eating or drinking enough!! And even Ginger is not eating like she normally does! Is this normal? )
    On the 3rd night, she came out from under the bed, and she's been a love bug since.
    She chirps and head-butts me every time I go into her room to clean her boxes and bring her fresh food/water.
    She's still being kept in the smaller bedroom because Ginger is still nervous about her.
    I've introduced them today for the first time through a baby-gate.
    Ginger hissed. Cashmere didn't hiss back but didn't run back to hiding. I liked that.
    I've been going into her room only 2 - 3 times a day for a short period of time, so Ginger doesn't think Cashmere is stealing my attention from her.
    And I've been giving extra love to Ginger.

I really hope that Ginger will warm up to her a little bit more before the holiday ends.
    I'm off today, tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday. And I'll have to go back to work on Monday.,
    Any tips on introducing a new cat to a timid-sh cat (=Ginger) would be very much appreciated.

Many Hugs and Happy Holidays,
    Mariko, Ginger & Cashmere

Tiger(GA) and Ruth and Dyana like this.
  2. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

She has fallen into a tub of butter! And we love all the details. How wonderful for you to adopt her, as she had so little chance of finding a furever home! She looks very happy. Poo Patrol is so pleased to read she is pooing like a champ! We are adjusting to the new board too, it just started this week, very fancy! We wish you all a furry purry holiday and look forward to meeting you in Vancouver in May!

3. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

one great way is to take a piece of your clothing... something that has your scent and use it to rub both cats, especially around the head and face scent glands. you can use 2 pcs of cloth and after rubbing both cats, let both cats have the cloth so they get used to their scents mixing. do this every day for a week, then you can do room swapping again so they get used to eachothers scent. hope it helps.

4. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Thank you! I am very excited about and so looking forward to meeting you both in May, Liz and Anne!
    I heard that you will be staying close to my place. I hope we'll have time for a kitty visit too.

Thank you, Nadine.
    I did the rubbing cheeks to exchange scent thing, but I did it using a new sock.
    I didn't think about using something that has my scent.
    Good idea! I'll try that later.

Anne & Zener GA likes this.
  5. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Oh Mariko. Darn it. You've got me all weepy. I am so over the moon with happiness for Cashmere. And you. And yes, Ginger, even you! (And there's a pretty little Lucy peeking over the edge of the Bridge smiling at her mama's new kitty and I bet you can almost hear her whisper, "welcome home, Cashmere.")

Wow, she's stunning. Imagine how she'll flourish now that she's home with you. Meant to be.

Don't know if this will help, but here's a link to cat introductions that Best Friends published.

cat introductions http://bestfriends.org/introducing-a-new-cat.aspx

Marilyn and Polly

Anne & Zener GA likes this.
  6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Congratulations Mariko and Cashmere and Ginger. I hope you will soon all be a very happy cuddily family.
    Merry Christmas!

7. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations! It took me about 6 weeks for Simon and Missy to get used to each other after I adopted Missy. Simon is a nervous kitty and does not like change, so I was a little worried. I did the baby gate thing, sock exchange, and room exchange. It takes baby steps but it is best to do it slow. I also fed them their food near the baby gate, with each cat on the opposite side from the other. Move the bowls closer and closer to the gate and if they stop eating, you know the bowls are too close and move them back a little. After awhile, they will start associating the other cat with food and will be more comfortable being next to each other. Also playing with them at the same time helps. It is hard for the cats to get mad at each other when they are engaged in playing. Good luck and keep us updated!

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

She's stunning Mariko!!

Of course you know that on the day that the application "fell from a pocket of my bag" that what was really happening was Lucy's paw gently slipping into your bag and knocking it out, right?

Sounds like she sent you a kitty she knew you would love and that needed you as much as you needed her

So happy for you, Ginger and the new member of the family, Cashmere!!

As for the introductions, scent swapping is great....You can also start putting Ginger into Cashmere's "space" and vise versa...Let's Cashmere get used to the rest of the house as well as letting both of them learn each other's scents throughout the house

What a wonderful way to start the New Year!!

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi Mariko. Congrats and Merry Christmas. Cashmere is beautiful!

10. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Hi Mariko- Wendy had said you had a new family member and I've been anxiously awaiting your announcement! Your new baby girl is absolutely gorgeous- such sweet pictures! Thank you for checking in and sharing with us and Merry Christmas to you and the girls!!!

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

She's just beautiful! Congratulations. What a wonderful present for both you and Cashmere!

12. Jen&Eddie

Jen&Eddie Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas Mariko! Thank you so much for sharing your story about Cashmere joining your family! She's absolutely gorgeous!

When we bring in a new foster kitty, after they've settled into their "safe room" separate from the other cats, we start doing "musical cats." Basically, letting the new kitty out for a short stretch of time to explore while shutting the other kitties up. Eventually, our other kitties go into the safe room to investigate the new kitty's smells, and the new kitty gets to investigate the rest of our home. We do that for about a week, then Eddie gets to be the first kitty to meet a newcomer. If a short initial introduction goes well with Eddie, we gradually increase the amount of time they are together. We end the introductions if there's any hint that it's going negative and try to always end it on a positive note. We also distribute high value treats to both kitties that are being introduced to associate the other with good things.

13. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Mariko, I'm so happy for you. Cashmere is such a beautiful cat. It sounds like it was meant to be. I hope Ginger and Cashmere will become good friends. Thanks for letting us know how things are going..

14. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Dear Mariko, after shedding a few tears, I decided to respond to this tomorrow, when I was calmer. So many memories.
    But I'm afraid, you won't be back tomorrow to see if there are new posts, so came back.

I am sooo very happy for you and Ginger, and Cashmere. What a beautiful name to suit a beautiful cat.
    You are beautiful too, for not letting a little poop outside the box, stop you from giving that wonderful cat, a good home.:)
    Oh what happy days ahead for all of you. Hugs,
    Barb

15. Marycatmom

Marycatmom Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Cashmere is beautiful. I have a friend who swears by putting a drop of vanilla extract on each cat's nose, so they smell the same. I've never tried it, but she claims it helps. I usually put a few drops of Rescue Remedy in each water dish. That has helped my guys quite a lot.

16. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

She is absolutely beautiful, Mariko! And I'm sure she knows she ha the best bean ever. Please keep us updated about her, Ginger, and yourself!!

17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

((((Mariko))))

I've missed you so much and this great news makes my heart happy for you! She is just gorgeous. What a lucky, lucky girl. I hope Ginger will quickly adjust and they will become fast friends.

Please visit more often....you are always welcome here...it's your home.

[​IMG]

Merry Christmas, Mariko, Ginger, and Cashmere!!!

18. Deborah & Shasta

Deborah & Shasta Well-Known Member

Mariko!!! Congratulations on your newest addition and thank you for opening your heart to another "special needs" kitty. However, from the sound of it, there's not much "special needs" about her. Sounds like she just needed a wonderful, lovely mamabean to care for her and all will be right in her world. Sending prayers & vines for harmony between Cashmere & Ginger. Happy Holidays, Deborah & Shasta

19. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Thank you so very much, everyone, for your warm comments and all the tips.

Marilyn - Thank you. I got weepy by reading that you got weepy. Thank you for the link (it was broken, but I was able t find it!).
    Dyana - I hope so too. At first I thought Cashmere might not be a cuddly type, but I think she will be.
    Georgia - Thank you for sharing your experience. 6 weeks?! I'll be sure to go slow too.
    Chris - If it wasn't for that piece of paper, I may not have gathered up the courage to make that one hour highway drive. I'm afraid of highways because everyone drives so fast and it's a very winding highway drive to where she was. That's what I thought too Chris. If it was a sign from Lucy, I didn't want to ignore it. Gosh I walked around that block so many times, sometimes a several times in one evening I even got a police called on me once....:eek::oops::eek::oops: . Thankfully the officer was understanding when I explained almost in tears "I'm caring for a diabetic cat on insulin who won't eat, and I'm ready to explode but I can't do that at home because she's so sensitive to my emotions!!! I'm only trying to calm down. Is it a crime to walk around this block?!".
    Elise, Sienne, Ruth, Carla - Thank you so much. Isn't she really beautiful? I thought for sure her eyes are photoshopped, but she does really have these honey golden eyes.
    Jen - Thank you for the tip. I like the "musical cats". I'm thinking I'll put Cashmere in the bathroom for a while and let Ginger sniff around her room.....
    Barb - Hugs to you too. Thank you for such a moving post.
    Mary - Rescue Remedy! I do have that! I have two Feliway diffusers plugged in, but a little extra from Rescue Remedy may help Ginger. Thank you for reminding me.
    Amy - Thank you. I am hoping that one day not so far away, I will find Ginger and Cashmere cuddling yin-yang shape like your babies. That would be my dream come true.
    Marje - Thank you so much for your warm post. I was feeling a little shy about posting after not visiting for so long. I've missed you too.
    Deborah - Yes, harmony is what I want most right now, so that you for the prayers and vines for harmony.

Thank you so much again everyone.
    Receiving such warm responses from you was the best Christmas present for me this year.
    I love you all. Hugs.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  20. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Rachel & Chyna (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Mariko)))) I'm so happy to see a post from you! I've been thinking of doing one too, but felt bad for not visiting much lately. The new board is fancy! I'm so glad you found a new fur baby, and I hope that Ginger and Cashmere are best of friends in no time. Maybe all Cashmere needed was you to learn proper LB technique, but it's so awesome that you brought her home despite that. One of the many reasons I love all on this board:)

I wish you a Merry Christmas and many hugs. I've been thinking of you and the others who have lost a loved one and this is our first Christmas without them and hoping they all had a blessed day despite the missing. Welcome home, Cashmere!:):)

21. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

WOOHOO! Welcome Furever home Cashmere. HUGS Mariko! Yep, it's going to be just wonderfully fine...

22. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Oh Mariko!!!!! I'm so happy for you and your new family member Cashmere. Opening our hearts to another cat in need after we have lost a beloved family member can be so difficult. With that little "nudge" of the adoption application out of your purse, you welcomed another beautiful kitty into your life. Best wishes to you, Ginger and Cashmere.

We have the occasional poo being trailed outside the litter box here too. It's usually when I've spoiled my 3 kitties with too many freeze dried treats, which seem to constipate them more easily. I need to supplement with a bit of psyllium husk powder (an extra 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon) to get the kitties systems eliminating properly again.

Or, there are the "dangle berries" which catch in the long fur and Wink refuses to let me trim his hocks to prevent those. Big sigh!

I had a kitty with IBD that had a litter box issue with her poop. Turns out that a diet change did the trick. She was allergic/ had issues eating any grains so once those problem items were removed from her diet, the pooping outside the litter box stopped.

23. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello Mariko!
    **many happy tears**
    I am so happy for you! What a touching chain of events that led you to Cashmere. She is so BEAUTIFUL.
    Wishing you, Cashmere, and Ginger much love.

24. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

((((Mariko))))) I'm thrilled for you!!! And Cashmere is one lucky little girl - and oh my gosh she is so beautiful! I can see the Maine Coon in her eyes and hair. she's just gorgeous.

Thanks for sharing your good news - please keep in touch and let us know how things are going. We're cheering for you all. Sending Ginger calm and friendly vines. :)

25. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Cashmere is a beauty - thanks for posting the pictures. I can hardly wait to meet her. It's amazing how many times the "unadoptable" kitties turn out to be the best additions to the family once they are in a home away from the shelter. Scritches to Ginger - she's being a good girl.

26. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Mariko, this is such wonderful news. What a great way to celebrate the Holidays! I know that Lucy is smiling down on her family and that she is very happy that you followed her "advice" and adopted Cashmere. What a beautiful kitty she is! And already she is no longer "special needs". She is just "special".
    Wishing you, Ginger, and Cashmere a splendid New Year!
    Hugs and scritches,
    Ella & Rusty
    p.s. Please check in often and let us know how Cashmere and Ginger are getting along.

27. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Congratulations! What a wonderful Christmas surprise from Lucy, a new baby to take care of! Cashmere is absolutely beautiful! I hope the introductions are smooth and they are cuccling together soon.

28. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Congratulations Mariko on the adoption of Cashmere and may she and you and Ginger be Blessed always with good health and happiness too. Trust your feelings that your Lucy guided you to Cashmere and how wonderful you listened to your inner wisdom. I have to say that kitties that poop outside the litter tray are the best. My Lucy did that when I first found her and a dear friend told me to use two litter trays as some cats don't like to pee and poop in the same litter tray and that solved our little issue. My Lucy does like to poop separately to peeing and she likes to poop in the shower basin often but that is fine. My Lucy and I are grieving for our Rosie who died four months ago so I understand how you felt you were not ready to adopt for some time. Congratulations again and hopefully Ginger and Cashmere will be best friends soon.

29. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

Oh Cashmere you are such a lucky lucky girl!
    Mariko I am so happy you opened your heart again with Lucys prodding of course.
    It is such a great adventure you are on. Sounds to me like she just needed a nice safe calm house to get over her LB issues.

30. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, Rachel, Lyresa, Deb, Josie, Julie, Wendy, Ella, Ann, Voula and Linda.

Ginger is making baby step progress.
    She's started waking me up in the morning for breakfast again, and is eating more or less the regular amount although she still wants me to carry both her and the food to her "safe" spot and guard her while she eats.
    She no longer feel the needs to dash when she walks by Cashmere's room even when Cashmere is right by the baby-gate.
    They both seem more relaxed, neither of them hide any more.
    Today, Ginger looked at Cashmere through the baby-gate without hissing, but she didn't go closer.
    I will keep the gate until she feels more comfortable.
    Besides, Cashmere needs to learn scheduled-feeding before I can remove the gate.

At the shelter, Cashmere was free-fed primarily Hill's Science Diet kibbles, plus a spoonful of wet every night.
    I don't want to change everything for her at once, so I'm still leaving kibbles, but have changed to "go (no grain)" kibbles, which she loves.
    I want to switch to all wet first, and hopefully to raw eventually.
    Surprisingly, she's finickier than I thought she'd be.
    She was a rescue from a horder situation, so I assumed she'd be gobbling up anything given to her, but unfortunately she's picky!
    I so wanted her to be NOT picky after struggling with a super picky eater, but oh well.
    She didn't like Wellness, she didn't like Evo, she didn't like Weruva.
    She so far likes Fancy Feast and that's it, but there are so many different foods to try still.

I may rent a condo again in near future if I need help with switching from free-feeding to scheduled-feeding.
    Hope it's OK.......

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  31. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

that's excellent that there was no hissing. that is very big progress for a kitty. sometimes it takes a long time for them to get along and you just have to be patient and let them tell you when they are ready. sounds like you are doing great. congratulations on your new addition

32. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Mariko, I'm glad Cashmere and Ginger are making progress. You can post here anytime. We love hearing from you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.