Meter recommendations

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by pat121, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pat121

pat121 Member

Apologies if there is another thread on this. It's WAY too early for me (night person) to focus yet or even think.

Vet tech arrived before 6am (cat thought we were crazy too to be up so early) to test and administer insulin. wE WILL do this until my body is awake at 5am (this could take a while) and ready to deal with this.

She tried to get enough blood for my own meter, and we used up quite a few strips. Beau was getting unhappy at her pricking his little ear (first time) until we got enough blood to make my own meter work.

I have seen several meters mentioned, but what I want is one that needs the least amount of blood. I'm wanting comfort right now, as opposed to expense.

Can you tell me what you use, and if you have had success with just needing a tiny amount of blood (like one lancet prick).

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The Relion Confirm or Micro meter from WalMart take the tiniest sample of any meter at .03 microleter (about the size of a pinhead) and the strips have a "wicking action" that pulls the blood into the strips quickly

They are favorites around here

Edited to add:
    What you may want to try is a larger size lancet...most lancets, especially the ones that come with the lancet devices are 33 gauge which make a very very tiny hole

If you go with a larger gauge lancet like 25-28 gauge, it makes a bigger hole (the lower the gauge number, the bigger the "hole" it makes)....they're called "Alternate test site" lancets

Also, make sure the ear is warm. A small pill bottle filled with warm water or a small sock with a couple teaspoons of rice (and microwaved) are easy ways to warm the ear and bring better blood flow to the ears

As you poke more and more, new capillaries will grow in and it'll get much easier...we call it "learning to bleed"

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Many of us use the Walmart Relion Confirm or Confirm Micro which uses a tiny blood drop AND is inexpensive with reasonably priced test strips.
    It is identical to the Arkray Glucocard 01 avalable at www.adwdiabetes.com one of the web vendors of diabetes supplies with decent prices on many diabetes items.
    All the reference documents here use values for human glucometers.

4. pat121

pat121 Member

I checked the alphatrak (something like that) and it sounded difficult to set up. I don't need "difficult' right now. I think this is what I will be getting. My meter just seemed to want more blood than h is little ear was willing to donate. Thanks.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The Alphatrak is pretty pricey at around $1 per test strip. Testing just 3 times a day will run about $90 a month.
    We test before we shoot to make sure it is safe to give insulin and when possible, during the middle of the period between shots to make sure the glucose does not go too low mid-cycle.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  6. pat121

pat121 Member

I want (like all of us) what is best for the cat, BUT also something I can afford, since this will be a long process (and remission hopeful, but i know it might not happen). I think for various reasons, the Relion is where I'm going. Amazon is fast, but if I let them run out, we're talking two days. Walmart is around the corner pretty much, and if most of you use the Relion, then I feel comfy.

It was a juggling act today. It took too long to get blood, so the meter "expired" and we had to "reboot" it. in that little bit of time, the blood was a problem again, but again, first time testing (and sorry to ramble, but i tend to do that). I am sure, like I'm sure I'm repeating, that once that little ear gets the drift, it will become easier. Beau is VERY good, but the pricking was bugging him, and he did not want to sit still. Also, I think for me, putting him in between my legs will be better than him being on the kitchen counter. He associates being in my lap with being loved, but not so much on the counter.

Just still overwhelmed with questions, and the fact that I'm not sure of what I'm doing, and all that goes with this.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Relion is the Walmart brand
    Confirm and Confirm Micro are the meter names (unbranded, they are called the Glucocard 01 and 01 Mini)

Just take it 1 step at a time - first is testing, for safety.

8. pat121

pat121 Member

walmart it is. amazon carries them, but not eligible for Prime (2 days shipping), so I will buggy on up the street and get it sunday as planned. at least we have my meter to test for now. not ideal, but it works.

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Do check www.adwdiabetes.com for when you want to stock up. The Glucocard 01 test strips are the same as the Confirm test strips.

10. pat121

pat121 Member

I will. I get mine free for now, but that is likely to change soon, and I just think a good idea to keep them separate May take a break today from reading about it. I do love my baby, but need a tiny break from it all. and he loves when i lay on the bed with him cuddled up to me, and no computer to interfere.

11. ja9390

ja9390 Member

I use Relion Prime. It takes about a half a drop of blood. I can usually get all of the blood in one prick but sometimes when I know he's dehydrated I will do two tiny pricks side by side and wick up what I can get out of both of them to make the meter work. The test strips for that are $19 for 100 strips.

pat121 likes this.
  12. Likameow

Likameow Member

I put the strip in the meter without pushing it all the way in before I poke Ben's ear. When a drop of blood beads up, I scoop it up with my thumbnail. Then push in the strip to "start" the meter. It gives me time to get the blood I need and I'm not trying to line up a testing strip with a wiggly cat ear. It works well for me except for those times that I have black or dark nail polish on.

BJM likes this.
  13. pat121

pat121 Member

my tech had a difficult time today with him on the counter and me holding him, and she does this often. i think maybe once i have him, and we're on the sofa and he's being cuddled, and the needle is on a table beside the sofa, and that ear is bleeding more readily, it will be better. i was told today that it's better to test urine, but i think the ear (even if it does hurt a little) is probably best. i'm also told by a friend that her cat only gets tested when they travel and he stays at the vet.

i just hope that relion prime/confirm is not difficult to program. THAT is not my thing for sure.

14. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi,

Not sure whether the vet tech told you to smear a thin film of Vaseline over the test area. This really helps because the blood droplet beads up instead of wicking into the fur and it's much easier to get enough for the test strip. Warming the ear for a bit longer than you think might be necessary really helps in the early days of testing. As you continue to test more capillaries will form at the test sites and that will make it much quicker and easier to get reliable blood samples - usually on the first poke. :)

You and Beau will find a testing routine that suits both of you. Things get better with practice and you'll find little tweaks as you go along. In case you've not seen these yet, here are some very helpful forum stickies:

Home testing links and tips

Testing and injecting tips (really helpful ear diagram here)

Mogs

15. Chris & China (GA)

You'll probably want to either get the Relion Confirm or Micro.....the strips are a little higher ($35.88 per 100) than the Relion Prime ($18/100) but it's well worth the difference to be able to use the smaller sample size on new ears

Once his ears "learn to bleed", you can always go back and get the Prime meter to save even more on strips if you want. The meter's are only about $15 so having more than one won't break the bank (and it's a good idea to have a backup meter anyway)

There's no programming involved with the Relion meters except for setting the date/time at the beginning....after that you just do the tests. It will hold 30 days worth of test results automatically

16. pat121

pat121 Member

I am using my own meter now (free strips), but it does need a little more blood. Tomorrow, a trip to WalMart for the Relion, which she recommends. I will have her coming twice a day until those ears bleed readily, and then if I'm still not good with the testing thing, we will go a few times a week to the Vet and have it done there. I do want to learn how to test, and get comfy, even tho' this Vet says I really do NOT need to test him now, or that often. As we get into this, and numbers change as he gets more insulin and different food, then I will just do what I have to do. I guess no one promised us a rose garden.

17. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Your vet is mistaken.about testing.
    Testing helps you keep your cat safe!
    You test before a shot to make sure the glucose is high enough to give insulin and, when possible, you get mid-cycle tests to make sure the glucose doesn't get too low (which can be very quickly fatal!)

18. Critter Mom

I beg your pardon?

;)

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  19. Critter Mom

I completely agree with BJ. I wonder if the case arose where your vet had a child who was diabetic, would she give insulin to her child without doing blood glucose checks to make sure it was safe?

Mogs

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  20. pat121

pat121 Member

LOL AT FIRST, oops, I wondered what i'd said. lol not used to getting up so early (neither is Beau), and about brain dead. lol YEAH, i got it!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  21. Critter Mom

:D

I love that song: great melody. (Showing my age ... :oops:)

Mogs

22. pat121

pat121 Member

me too. ain't old age grand

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

The alpha Trac takes .03 same as Wal-Mart micro and confirm meters.

DebG likes this.
  24. pat121

pat121 Member

The alpha is expensive, so I'm buying the Relion tomorrow. However, I do want a back up, and not mine, so getting the Alpha Wednesday from the Vet, and will make sure when I/we test, that we make note of which meter we used.

25. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA) Member

I plan to do this also - I've been using the AlphaTrak2 and love it but the strips are way too expensive since I test a lot. The AlphaTrak was recommended by our vet but they only wanted testing once a day which is not enough for my little guy. I was thinking about the Relion Prime but would the micro or confirm mentioned above be a better choice. I will keep the AlphaTrak to verify and as backup meter etc.

26. pat121

pat121 Member

I need to read more when my brain can handle more, but seems like the micro might be better for beginners? Maybe needs less blood for those that are not readily donating the blood?

I am checking the thread yet again later on today to see which is the most used/recommended, but I figure meters are fairly cheap, so buy one and check it out and use those strips and then move on to another. For myself, I think I tossed 4-5 meters (with expired strips) when I moved. Forgot to watch expirations dates.

27. Olive & Paula

I just bought the micro in January. Easy to set up (just date and time). You can lower the beep sound or turn it off. Best of all no coding or control tests (not that it's hard). Micro is narrow and fits in hand easier. And it was the only one Wal-Mart had on the self that day. I'm very pleased. A few more $$ in my pocket.

pat121 and Critter Mom like this.
  28. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA) Member

Thank you for the feedback. I plan to order shortly online - none available in local stores.

pat121 likes this.
  29. Catcrzymom

Catcrzymom Member

I am new to all this too. I had a tech at the vets office go through the steps of testing with me. She has a sugar cat and a sugar dog. I was trying to get blood from my Sugarbaby ear or front paw and couldn't get enough blood. She told me the easiest place to do the test is on the hind foot largest pad. I gently pinch the pad and pump it a couple times, then stick him with the lancet and I get enough blood for the test. I do have to lay him between my legs cause he doesn't like being tested. But that's what has been the best for me. Just a suggestion for you.
    I too am still going through the a lot of questions and confusion. The people here have been very supportive and helpful so don't hesitate to ask for help.

30. pat121

pat121 Member

She just left and suggested we may stop, because Beau is now running from me in mornings. However, it's been difficult to get enough blood for my meter. I hope the Relion will be easier, and he will volunteer blood more readily soon. Today it worked better, and he was fine. This is just Day 3 for him. I would rather him run a little in the mornings, and be a little afraid knowing taht she's coming or that I will test him, and not have him crash. At any rate, I will talk to doctor about our plan on Wednesday and see waht he thinks. I'm not a morning person, either, but maybe getting up an extra half hour early and rubbing that ear will help him, and relax him. I'm rushing in mornings (getting up about 15 min. before she arrives at 6:30) and that might not be ideal either.

31. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

The start of home testing can be quite traumatic for both kitty and human. Using a meter that takes less blood is a great first step. If you try to remain calm :)) ) and set up a regular routine followed by some sort of favourite low carb treat and lots of cuddles, the experience becomes easier. When I started I was stressed which my kitty could pick up on....he howled and I cried and I was sure it would never work. Now he will walk to his test mat area on his own and waits to be tested. He is VERY food motivated and that works well for me. In time the ears will actually "learn" to bleed easier and the whole process will become common place.

I am able to test my kitty with only one eye open and my brain only half-awake ;)

32. pat121

pat121 Member

I am going to try just getting up earlier and waking up and cuddling him first. There is no time for this right now, and this is a cuddle bunny. I rush to get food out (his numbers are now at 400 rather than 500) so he will have some prior to her coming. I get out the insulin. I heat my coffee. I know an extra 1/2 hour will give me time to heat his food, but also time to snuggle and hold him and rub his head and ears and talk to him. She's afraid he won't want to come to me. He does NOT like being picked up at all, and never has. You do't hold him in your arms. He will lay on your tummy or beside you. He wants to stand at your feet and have his head rubbed. Just don't grab him and hold him in your arms. He is now waking up and seeing mommy stumble around and no time for him, because taht 15 min. goes fast. lol

I do think the new meter will help. Mine is supposed to need a little bit of blood, but i've had that problem myself in testing my blood. I hope the Micro will make things easier, and I should have done that immediately.

Critter Mom likes this.
  33. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

While you work on home glucose testing, check my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for some assessments which will give you clues on how your cat is doing.

pat121 likes this.
  34. Tuxedo Mom

Maybe an extra 15-30 minutes will give you the time to get organized and do a little cuddle time before you have to do the test. Every kitty has their favourite "treat" whether it is food or cuddles. My guy lays on his mat for the ear poke and lays on his side for the shot. We have our routine and he follows it..or reminds me what I should do. This morning I had to stall after testing and he looked at me like "where is my shot??" Kitties are quite adaptable.

35. pat121

pat121 Member

I think he's doing MUCH better. He was lethargic (he's also anemic) the first day or so. He doesn't play much (never did), but he's now interested in looking out his window and looking in closets and anything that looks different. He played with my glucose tester when I put it on the bed. He still wants to be stuck up me all the time, but that's normal. Sugars were around 470, and today it was 390. I will do what the Vet says (for now), but I do think the testing is important, and absolutely once his sugars get lower and I need to make sure he doesn't "crash"

36. pat121

pat121 Member

I do think the meter will help. He is placed on the counter for her, but once I take over, I think on the sofa between my legs. We will figure that out. When you are pricked 5-6 times, you are not happy. This is new to him. He still wants to be with me, but he no longer runs to greet her when she arrives. He went under the bed today, and i pushed his behind, and he went directly to her, so not that scared I'd say

37. Tuxedo Mom

Once you find the right spot for testing that will make it so much easier. My guy does NOT want to be up high on anything. For him a mat on the floor with all my test equipment on a table next to a bright light and he is fine. As you said this is all new right now, but it will soon become routine. ;)

Critter Mom likes this.
  38. pat121

pat121 Member

She is tall, so the counter works. I haven't tried yet, because I am frankly scared to death. However, after I get this meter, and before the possibility of the Vet saying to cease testing twice daily, I want to learn. I really know that I will be able to do it, and maybe on the sofa with her watching. I also think he will be better with just me, and the few minutes it might take me to get him calm won't matter in terms of the insulin being 12 hours apart.

She was just worried today, I hope, that he and I were not bonding any longer. If this computer had sound on this post, you would hear him at my feet purring as loud as can be.

I would prefer NOT to test, but it's inconvenient and scarey. Scarier is losing him because I'm lazy.

BJM likes this.
  39. Tuxedo Mom

My first vet was against home-testing. She didn't last long!! My second vet was worried that I might be stressing out my kitty with all the testing I do. I told her that he went to the test area on his own and actually purred through testing ( in anticipation of food or treats I am sure ) so she said to just go ahead.

The first few weeks after diagnosis I wasn't really testing since I was never shown how and had a hard time even with watching videos. I cringe when I think back to that time. My kitty has other health concerns but this morning was a prime example of why home testing is important. I use the mmol/l with the AT meter. Last night at +6 he was 15.1(272 US). I gave some food and went to bed. This morning at test time ( I tested 3 times to be sure) he was 2.0 (36 US). I f I was just shooting without testing I could have pushed him into a worse hypo. You never know when a kitty's body is going to react differently for some unknown reason. That is why home testing is SO important and I am glad to hear that you are going to continue regardless of what the vet says. :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  40. pat121

pat121 Member

I am going to test, but just need to figure it out. I do think tech was worried since he ran and hid, but afterward, was patting her leg to be loved. And he did go to her after I pushed him a little. He is hurting and I know that. BUT, to me, better to hurt than be dead. He's new and sugars are still very high, but that will change. It's already changing. I'm sure his diet will also change. She even suggested he might up the dosage, because sugars are so high, and then I know I will REALLY need to test him.

I do agree with the Vet that we probaby did not need to test this first week, but as a diabetic, I do know that my own sugars have gone quickly to 40 (normal is around 87) and I almost passed out. Diet, exercise and other things (this was before insulin for me) do crazy things to diabetics.

She was almost crying the other day because she had to stick him so many times, and she does this for a living. I have assured her that I'm "fine" with the pain he is experiencing, because this is new to all of us, and this is the beginning of Day 3. I have faith that in another week or so, things will calm down; I will be alive and awake at 6am after a few more days; Beau will associate her coming with loving, food, loving, food and then some loving.

41. Tuxedo Mom

Testing should not hurt. There are very few nerves in the outer edge of the ear:

[​IMG]

If she is hitting the vein that would be more uncomfortable. You just need to hit the capillaries along the edge of the ear. If the ear is properly warmed then she should be able to get a drop of blood large enough for testing. The smaller the sample size needed the better. After poking apply gentle but firm pressure with a kleenex, cotton pad etc to the spot for about 10 seconds. This will prevent excess bleeding and bruising. Some people will put an ointment on afterwards, but that is a personal choice.

Testing is ALWAYS important whether at the start or after months of testing. One of our members here had her kitty on insulin and changed from dry food to all low carb wet food. Her kitty went off insulin within less than a week and if she hadn't have been testing would have had a serious hypo. Every cat is different and testing is the only way to know how your kitty is responding to treatment. Like you said, as a diabetic you understand how unpredictable glucose levels can be sometimes. You know what is happening, but our kitties can't let us know when the numbers are too low and some kitties do not have symptoms at first, even with very low numbers.

ETA: The vet tech with the first vet I had did not do a good job of poking. I had my guy in for a vet curve in the start and his poor ears were bruised and bloody.

Here is a link with tips on hometesting:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Critter Mom likes this.
  42. pat121

pat121 Member

I think what's hurting is that she continues to try to get blood by rubbing, but my meter needs a good amount. I just got the Micro, so going to read that and "program" it and hope that works better for him. He is producing a tiny "dot" of blood, but my finger has to be pricked a few times on occasion to give this sucker enough blood. Hopefully tonite will be easier for all concerned, but especially Beau

Critter Mom likes this.
  43. Tuxedo Mom

Hopefully the micro will work better with the smaller blood sample size. I use the Alpha Trak (pet)and Freestyle Lite (human) meters which only require .3ul size and I rarely have to repoke or "milk" the drop to get enough for a test. Good luck with the new meter!

44. pat121

pat121 Member

LOVE this new meter (Micro). Tiny little speck of blood and it worked. She has been getting at least that much when she pricks him once, but then the rubbing and pricking over and over is bruising him. I tested myself and just wanted the tiniest little speck of blood, and I got results. I wish I had gotten off my butt in the beginning and gotten it, but I will just move forward now.

Critter Mom and Andy & Pimp like this.
  45. Tuxedo Mom

:cat: :cat: :cat: Happy dance!!! Testing should be a breeze for you now!!! :woot: :woot:

Critter Mom likes this.
  46. pat121

pat121 Member

It is killing me right now that he's under the bed hiding from me, rather than being right beside me. I think all of that pricking and rubbing was hurting his little ear. Yep, I think my rubbing him prior and warming it up with "love", and then some treats, and only one little prick and we have blood will be good.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  47. Olive & Paula

Have a low carb treat available and give after each test. Eventually your cat will associate the test with a treat then food after. You can start with just rubbing his ears and scratching his head without poking to get him use to it.

48. pat121

pat121 Member

I just ordered him his Greenies that he loved so. I just heard those might not be low-carb, so I am sure Vet will tell me on Wednesday about food and treats.

I have the micro, and it says on the test strips that they work in both Micro and Confirm. AT any rate, we will test tonite and if this does not work, back to Walmart

49. Olive & Paula

There is a sticky of low carb foods and treats you can look at. Pure Bites freeze dried chicken are low and nature variety has raw boost minis that are low carb.

50. Stina

Stina New Member

Dear Pat121,

Sorry you've been going through all this -- my "baby" girl, Callie (aka, CoCoBean, Beanie) was diagnosed at the end of December with high blood pressure and diabetes. She went blind within about 3 days and it broke my heart (still does). And she had been going to the vet about every 30-60 days last year, as she has either IBD or lymphoma.

Anyway, I live alone, no family left alive, moved to a new city a little over a year ago, and was born with one hand (and losing use of the other) -- bottom-line: I don't have access to help and was a BASKET CASE about testing her glucose!!! I still really dislike doing it, but have come far in a short period. I am also an empath, passionate about never causing anyone pain, and my puddytats are truly my children in this lifetime (didn't have human ones this go-around) -- meaning I do everything possible for their quality of life and comfort. :)

Two things I want to be sure you're aware of, that have been ESSENTIAL for me and Beanie:
    (1) Nevermind Vaseline -- use a (very small amount) of TRIPLE antibiotic gel (Neosporin, or off brand) instead -- it helps the blood bead like Vaseline, but has a very mild pain relief ingredient in it, to help take the "edge"'off a bit. I get a tube of it from a local Dollar Tree for $1. I think Wal-Mart carries an off brand of it for near the same price. Once I've gathered my testing tray of everything I need (including her favorite treats, of course!), putting on the Neosporin is the FIRST thing I do -- that way, it has a bit of time to "work" while I'm getting out the test strip and lining up supplies. Remember -- use just a very tiny amount for a very thin layer -- too much and it can meld with the blood, causing an error reading on the meter. I make this layer probably close to the size of, say, the diameter of an M&M, or a tad larger -- even to help "numb" the area around the pin prick. After I've grabbed the blood sample with the meter strip, I use some clean tissue or a sterile cotton pad to wipe off the blood and Neosporin; I then put a VERY teeny bit (very thin layer again) of fresh Neosporin only on the spot that was pricked.

(2) My vet's office only uses 25-gauge needles for glucose testing kitty's ears; I was horrified initially and insisted on using lancets. I tried two different types of lancet styles for about two weeks, before I threw in the towel -- so many pricks and hardly ever any blood (or enough). And I knew my baby girl felt it, because she shook her head most times. I finally made myself try the needle and ultimately got relatively "comfortable" with it -- done the right way, it is simply more effective (I can describe the method, if you'd like). Perhaps now that her ears are "conditioned" to bleed, lancets would work -- but I refuse to use her as an experimental pin cushion. And I've grown to respect the control of the needle, how visible the tip is and the greater precision with it accordingly.

If any of this is repetitive, or you knew, please disregard. But please let me know if there's anything I can answer or help with -- some nice folks on this board helped me when I first got Beanie's diabetes diagnosis.

Well, I'm off to go get a nadir reading now (ugh -- still, lol). Best wishes to you, Pat121, and your fur baby, Beau!

51. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

We use AT--if you do decide to use it as back up you can use the freestyle strips with it instead of the AT strips--is about 1/2 the cost of the AT strips and I recently tested with both multiple times and it was either spot on or wishing 8 points. If you get the starter kit I think you get 30 strips with it as well as lancets.

52. Stina

Stina New Member

Pat121 --

P.S. I put the Neosporin on BOTH sides of her ears before the testing; afterwards, I only put a bit on the side/spot that was pricked.

I like to think the Neosporin also helps to prevent infection (even if odds are very low), as well as some discomfort. Perhaps in reality, the latter ends up being more for me than her -- but there is something to be said for that, as testers, too, lol! :)

53. Stina

Stina New Member

I admit I am really surprised that no one has referred to the difference in cat's blood versus human's blood for these meters. My vet has explained to me that all the other meters (aside from AlphaTrak and other critter meters) on the market have been designed for testing human's blood, not cats; meters designed for pets are required to have a higher degree of sensitivity for accurate readings.

At first, I thought maybe I was getting a bit of a song and dance from the vet. So I got a cheap meter from CVS. Then, a couple of weeks ago, some kind soul who had to let go of their 18-year-old diabetic kitty, donated their AlphaTrak2 (AT2) to my vet and I was chosen as the recipient. For about a week, I used both meters on the same spot of blood. Most of the time, the CVS meter was about 75 points lower than the Alpha track. I think one time they came within 50 points of one another. A couple times, the CVS meter was as much as 120 points lower. Callie's diabetes has not been under control since her diagnosis 2.5 months ago -- until getting the AT2 and upping her insulin dose accordingly.

By the way -- Amazon currently has the AlphaTrak2 meter kit for $57.20 (most places are $100 and up). I'm still disappointed in the cost of the testing strips though -- the cheapest I've found today is through ADW Diabetes and Countryside Pet Supply websites.

54. pat121

pat121 Member

Stina--I think you are my long lost twin, except I still have not tested him. Petrified of the ear, but the gals are coming back Thursday to teach me the foot. I need to learn this, and I will, and i appreciate all your advice. Right now, with this fatty liver disease, and feeding him every few hours, I'm not sure how much i will learn, but I will try. Just overwhelmed with the diabetes, and then possible hemoplama and anemia and all has really turned my brain to mush. Thanks, again, but your post. I admire you.

55. Stina

Stina New Member

Hey Pat121 -- Sorry it took me a bit to answer. I totally understand the overwhelm!! My oldest boy kitty, Theo (aka, PuPu), 14, is in renal failure, moving into 4th stage. He also has a heart murmur and hyperesthesia. I cannot believe I am dealing with both him and CoCo Beanie at the same time, poor prognosis for both (I also have three, younger kitties, who all just turned 4 years old). Then Beanie has high blood pressure, on top of the diabetes, IBD and/or lymphoma -- and we're both still trying to adjust to her new blindness. I feel like every day there is some sort of small change -- there are good days and not-so-good ones -- it is truly a roller coaster here.

I spend about 4 hours a day on meds, food prep, glucose testing, insulin injections -- then subcutaneous fluids every 1-3 days (I have to have help with that) and B-12 injections every two weeks.....I feel so broken down. But I don't want it to be like I'm complaining -- I tell God I'd rather keep doing this (as long as tbey feel good) to still have them with me. I beg them to want to stay with me.....my heart is breaking every single day because the writing is on the wall.

I have 6 weeks left to my last semester for my masters degree, it's an awful semester -- I pray they can both hold out till at least then. I'm a teaching assistant for 5 professors/5 classes and I've been buried since the start -- I feel beyond exhausted, on all levels. I have chronic health issues and pain, physical and mental, including an active blood clot. My depression/anxiety has been exacerbated and there are some dark times. My fur babies are my world, truly my kids in this life, and I'll continue doing what I can for them. I feel at times it's not enough -- but I have to push away those thoughts and repeat to myself I'm doing the best I can -- as I'm sure you are.

In the beginning, when I also had issues with trying to poke her ears, I had asked my vet and a tech about the feet. They both (separately) said it is more painful than their ears, as there are many more nerve ending in their foot pads -- and very few in the ear tips. You know how our fingertips can be sore with one little poke -- but then each time we're doing things, grasping stuff, etc., we continue to feel that. That's also what goes on with the kitties and their feet, they will have to keep putting pressure on those points, versus the ears. I was concerned about potential bacteria entry points with the feet, when they step into the litter box, for example. But the bottom line is, you have to find a way that you can personally handle, because no matter how much we don't like to do the checks, it is important for them. You will do it! :) Here's my email address, you are always welcome to write. write2bhappy@yahoo.com. I might be a little slow to respond, but I will always answer! Once the semester is over, that will help my perception of time!

56. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Stina, we are aware of the difference in the meter ranges, and BG range in the dosing protocols are adjusted accordingly. For example, a normal range on a human meter is 50-120, while on a pet meter it is 70-150. You cannot compare numbers from a human to a pet meter because you're using a different point of reference for them. It's more important that a meter be consistent, than accurate (we are generally looking for trends in data to adjust the dose, not single, exact numbers). There is also a +/- 20% variable allowed in any glucose meter, including pet meters.

There is nothing wrong with using a pet or human meter, but it is far more important that you choose a meter that allows you to afford to test as frequently as needed than one that is more precise.

I typically don't recommend the "True" generic brand meters from drugstores; there's been a lot of people that have reported them as being inconsistent. The one from Walgreen's is notoriously bad.

Hang in there-- things do get better. When Bandit was diagnosed back in 2009 I was working two jobs and going to grad school...needless to say it took a lot of alarms and late night tests and creative scheduling to keep him on track, but we both got through it. He went into remission in about a year, and i graduated soon after. Then my other cat, Gabby, was diagnosed with stomach cancer, and caring for her became like another part time job. I would not have done anything differently, though.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  57. pat121

pat121 Member

Stina, I am sure we all suffer depression. I know I sure do. And the physical and mental exhaustion. You would give the world for your baby, but you also yearn for sleep and less stress. Again, I had Mom 24/7 and 2 hours or less sleep a night (Alzheimers) and I prayed some nights that one of us would not wake up, and I didn't care which one it was

I just cannot bring myself to poke his ear. I may end up having to do it, but for me, the foot seemed like an easy out. Also, I type a lot, and so am using my own finger tips. I just have difficulty thinking of poking his ear, but the paw (last nite) required one little prick with the tester. I hope it works for me tonite. I may have actually gotten blood, but early mornings, I can barely function. I need a few hours even to wake up, think, see. Probably comes from getting up a few times during the night to potty and check on him (which is why I drink heavily before bed so I will have to potty)

I will keep the email/addy. Thanks. And good luck

58. Stina

Stina New Member

Julia,

Regarding the meters, that all makes sense. Sorry I was jumping in and assuming, without clarifying -- newbie error ;-).

Thank you for the encouragement. :)

59. Stina

Stina New Member

Pat,

I totally empathize with what you described . . . been there in my own way (a different circumstance, but similar concept) . . . so sorry you went through that with your mum .

You're doing great -- just like Julia said, the single most important is getting the testing done. I've now had a few bad days in a row again with testing on her ears and my very low level of confidence that was starting to build has gone backwards. Two needles today and 5 or 6 pricks before I finally got the tiniest smidgon of blood. I could feel my anxiety really building in my chest and had all I could do to try and control my hand from shaking. I feel like she is starting to lose her patience with me . . . Callie is such a sweet soul and good patient -- but I can tell she's starting to pull away from me in different ways -- even from just regular affection separate from testing. It hurts my heart so much to feel like I am hurting her and she can't really know why. Who knows -- I may end up trying the feet, too.

I'm the same with mornings. . . and with the every 12 hours deal, I have no choice other than to "perform" and do the testing/injection almost as soon as I wake . . . After that, the meds and feeding of all, about an hour and a half later, I practically collapse and am "worthless" for the next hour (or more!). If it's a day I have class or other obligation, it's a bloody miracle I keep going. We all do what we have to/choose to, eh?

Keep hangin in there -- I'll be praying for you and Beau :). (((HUGS)))

60. pat121

pat121 Member

Went to Vet today and his sugars were at 372 or in that range, so I gave him shot at dinner. We are back on syringe feeding. I ws told again it was important to get him to eat every few hours, but the last two nites I have taken 4 hours to sleep, because my body was giving out. we go back tomorrow to donate blood.

I worry tonite because he's under a piece of furniture he's never gone under. Having said that, the other cat has now taken over Beau's fave chair, and so Beau is now on the floor. I have pushed him out, but i guess he feels abandoned, and is a copycat for everything Beau does. I do hope he begins to eat on his own again. We've gone thru this a few times now. I can't wait to hear what the Vet has to say, either way. I worry that he's sufferin with the fatty liver more than his sugars, but I also know when they are really high, he's sluggish. Knowing what happened to the other family on here, I refuse to give him insulin without testing.

Down for a few hours. Then at midnite or a little later, another syringe feeding, and then maybe a few hours of sleep for all of us.

61. Stina

Stina New Member

Dear Pat,

Please forgive my delay in writing you, that last semester was just brutal. I graduated on Friday, but not much joy here for some new developments/what's going on with my girl kitty, Callie. But that's not my point with this writing.

I saw your update on Beauregard, and I just wanted tell you how very sorry I am for your loss . . . No doubt you loved him very much and made the toughest call there is out of pure love -- I hope that somehow, that gives you at least a little bit of peace in knowing that. My prayers are with you for healing . . . (((HUGS)))

62. pat121

pat121 Member

Oh, thank you. I am struggling with the "I killed my cat" stuff, and feeling a little like I let him down and went the "easy" route of getting rid of him. I have almost come to grips with the fact that at the farm where he lived, two male cats seemed to have fathered LOTS of these kittens, and since there were 40 or so there, likely some of the siblings mated. Not sure if that had anything to do with all his issues, but trying to convince myself that had I noticed some things sooner, I just might have still lost him. I still can't talk about him without crying, so everyone knows we just don't go there yet.

Congrats on graduating. I need to check on statuses here, and see what's going on with everyone. Hope Callie and you are OK.

63. Stina

Stina New Member

Aww, I'm sorry, Pat . . . :-( In my opinion, those types of feelings following a euthanasia decision are quite normal for people who truly love their companions. To me, having to make the call on taking a loved one's life is the single toughest thing we ever have to do in this lifetime. From your previous posts, I could tell you really loved Beau, and did everything you possibly could at the time. From my time as a hospice counselor, we used to say to folks, "Everyone plays the 'would've, could've, should've game,' and no one wins." So true. So just by the fact that this was a known phrase in the field, you can see how common it is for people to have such thoughts. I think it is part of the grief process that only improves with time.

I'm in the darkest part of the storm here . . . Callie has non-regenerative anemia and as of last night, can barely walk. She has always had a strong appetite -- but it's fallen off in the past week and she refused treats last night for the 1st time in her life; she's lost a full pound in a bit less than 3 weeks.

I tried a new vet yesterday, a mobile one that comes to your home. She has invested more than four hours in the past day, talking to prior vets and a laboratory, scanning all of Callie's records and test results. I guess it was a Hail Mary at the 11th hour. I got her official opinion today – it's pretty much no different than what my main vet had identified. Lymphoma and/or a metabolic disease process is causing the anemia; "heroic" measures could be taken -- but not advised. I won't put her through that. I have a "tentative" appointment tomorrow afternoon at my home to "let her go." I'm living out of my bedroom now, to stay with her on the bed. I've cried so hard, I've gotten sick to my stomach. She's the matriarch of our family, I just cannot imagine my world without her. I'm praying I can push back tomorrow's appointment to at least Friday.

I raced to the store tonight, buying up everything else I could think of she's ever liked. I'm boiling a whole chicken to make bone broth and give her "incentive smells." I've given her a couple of catnip "parties" in the past week with this special strain of catnip I ordered online; she's gotten her birthday presents early (her 14th birthday is June 1). I can tell Theo, my 14-year-old renal kitty is already becoming depressed -- he knows. I pray to God he doesn't give up.

My heart is shattering.

64. pat121

pat121 Member

We never want them to suffer BUT making that decision is a monster. I hope by now Callie is better, and maybe going to be here a bit longer. I think Patches began to know something was wrong, and kissed and rubbed against Beau, and then just pretty much stayed under the bed, and allowed Beau and I to have time.

I know Theo will be fine, but depressed and lonely. I struggle with getting another cat so Patches will have that love, but also just dealing with "replacing" Beau, and just not up to it now. Stay in touch and I hope the next time I hear from you, it will be good news. If it's her time, then likely nothing much you can do, but we don't know for sure if that's the case. I hope it isn't, and (sorry, rambling) she will just be a little ball of energy and good feelings and actually celebrate her 14th and many many more. HUGS.

65. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Has Callie had a bone marrow aspirate/biopsy for her anemia? Bandit was sick last year with severe pancreatitis and anemia (we think the pancreatitis may have been triggered by the anemia), and subsequent tests showed he has an autoimmune condition (myelofibrisis and immune mediated pancytopenia). He almost died, but with a treatment of steroids (prednisolone) and immunosuppresants (cyclosporine), he pulled through and is currently doing well on immunosuppressive therapy.

I don't want to give false hope if her situation is different, but it's not a common condition and our regular vet could not diagnose the problem (and thankfully told us so right away). We had to take him to Cornell University to figure out what was wrong with him and get him treated. I'm just wondering if you've explored the possibility of the anemia being immune related?

66. pat121

pat121 Member

Thinking about you, Stina, and hoping things are OK.

67. Photorecon

Photorecon Well-Known Member

I might not be the best example here but I spent a month studying the file. I tested 4 meters

1: Alaphatrack (borrowed to my Vet) : very little blood, no waist strips
    2: Free Style Lite (for Human) : Same spec (.3 blood sample required), no waist of strips) but VERY inconsistant
    Side by side with the Alaphatrack II there were no logic, the Free Style Lite was going up and down as the Real thing was curving.
    3 : The One touch Ultra : Blood hungry (.5 blood sample required), some time wasted 3 strips for 1 test) - consitant results, higher then pet meter)
    raged and destroyed it

My final setup :

Use the Alphatrak II and it's testing solution : calibrate and note the result.
    Put a human strip into it and set the code up to match the result you got with the Alphatrack with strips coming with it.
    Difference is a 2 unit difference (up). The extra work is to test every batch of human strip you buy to see the accuracy.
    Sometime a +1 in coding is ok, some time +2, depends on the back of human strips.

This is because I'm on a budget. If I could afford 1$/strip, tesing 3 times a day, 50$ a month, that's the perfect setup,
    no go for me. I prefer to calibrate once in a while and buy the expensive strips for calibrating or in serious doubt.

If it's what you opt for, be sturdy on calibration, it's no luxury for trust.

Sébastien

68. Stina

Stina New Member

Hello, Pat -- Now it's time to ask you to forgive me for my delay in answering. It's interesting that you last wrote me and said you were thinking of me on May 13 -- that was the day I had to let Callie go . . . I had a mobile vet come to the house and held her on the bed, her "happy place." I was pretty much non-functioning for the first week -- just did the absolute minimum for myself, Theo, and the three "kidiots." I'm still not much better. I'm crying less now, I guess, but doing more to avoid the feelings, for a reprieve. She was my heart, my protector, my beloved fur daughter -- I still can't believe at times she's gone.

Theo has never been a "hiding cat" and yet he has just started to do so in the past week. When the front door is open, he goes behind it and faces the corner. Pat, if I lose him anytime soon, I don't know how I could cope. I'm having to do his subcutaneous fluids every 24-30 hours now. I'm just lost and can't seem to find a way out of this despair. Consequence of a deceased family, divorce, AND not having human kids -- I've "invested" a great deal into the relationships with my fur companions . . .

How have you been doing/healing?

Thank you so much for reaching out, thinking of us, and your kind words!! ❤️❤️

69. Stina

Stina New Member

Hello, Julia!

Thank you so much for writing to me and telling me about your experience with Bandit -- unfortunately, I didn't see your post until this past week and had let Callie go on May 13. I sure wish I had seen your post when you sent it on the 12th, as I would've certainly followed up on that possibility -- I was looking for any "Hail Mary" option possible -- but I guess it wasn't meant to be. But when I get stronger to be able to talk about my Beanie (one of Callie's many nicknames), I will bring this up to the vet and see what he says.

I am SO happy to hear that this was discovered for your baby boy and that he is doing well -- that is wonderful!!!

Thanks again for writing and providing that information, Julia -- my best to you and Bandit!! ❤️

70. pat121

pat121 Member

Hey there. I had seen your post on the board that you thought that was going to be the day. Such a very hard decision. It's been almost 3 months, and I still worry/wonder if something else could have been done, and maybe the Vets just did not think a cat was worth the trouble.
    It's funny how we bond in such a strong way. I took Beau to the Vet and held him the whole time. The night before I was explaining to him what I was about to do. I guess/hope he understood. I think for the first few weeks/month, I was also a bit of zombie. I didn't go out with brother/SIL and I still can't talk about it without crying. I taped pics of him all over, and evrywhere i looked, I saw him. Those came down recently, because i think it depressed more than helped. I held his ashes for days and wept. and just second guessed, although I know he was about to begin suffering.
    Patches aways took a back seat to Beau, and I think actuqally enjoys now having me all to himself, but I have found him in strange places, like hiding under a chair that Beau discovered when I was force feeding him. Since I had Beau cremated, I did not have a body so Patches could say goodbye and know he was gone. I think he did look for a few days, and since Beau groomed him all the time, and they were always laying together, I think he still misses that companion. I also hate leaving him alone, but he had an appetite and I do give him lots of extra love.
    I'm the same with the depression and being alone. I hae brother/SIL within walking distance now (they have been 6 hours away for 15 years), but it's not the same. The "boyfriend" doesn't really seem to be interested in driving that 6 hours to see me, and that's depressing. I actually think in the beginning, I was wanting to leave this planet also. I still have times, and Beau was my savior. He would kiss and love and allow me to love him. Patches goes and hides when I cry. lol I think the general consensus is that you "just" need to get over it. It's "just" a cat. I know I need a job, and local friends, and a job, and a boyfriend, and a job. lol I am here alone too much and have too much time to think and feel sorry for myself. BUT it's hard. And I think the fact that we chose this to happen, and we are almost sure it was the best thing, but it's the guilt and blame thing. Could we have done more. Did we really think this thru? Did we make the right decision? And they really could not tell us, and it being a critter, did the Vet really value that critter "as a person". lol And to lots of us, that critter was as important TO US as a person.
    I have not visited the boards much. Luckily I did see your post that day. A VERY infrequent visit, but I guess Beau guided me there that morning. I just can't deal, and really can't help. I had not really gotten my self to the point of knowing and understanding. I had the Vet techs still coming, so the food and dosage and all were beyond me. And when all the other stuff happened, it kinda negated what I needed to do for the diabetes. And, when I try to help, I just get depressed and feeling pity, so had to just back off all boards for a bit.
    I h ope things get better. Like losing a person, there are good and bad days. Something will make me remember something, and I cry. Bawl. Then another day will happen, and I don't think of him at all, and that's a good thing. I think, for me, taking down mmost of those pictures helped. I still have them in reaching distance from my desk here, and in my bedroom, but just not all over. But when I think about him at all, like now, I bawl.
    Do you find yourself calling for your baby? I do and catch myself, and then that makes me cry. lol of course, a mcdona'd commnercial can make me cry
    ok, rambled enough. take care of yourself. hugs. pat

71. Becmom45

Becmom45 New Member

This is all new to me and I am a mess of tears. My boy, Moo, was diagnosed a month ago. We have not started the insulin yet because of my own health issues we were not able to get it. I filled the prescription yesterday. The vet who diagnosed him didn't say anything about home testing. SHe said to give him 2 units twice a day for two weeks and then bring him for a glucose curve. Then I started reading on here that I should check his numbers before giving insulin. Now I am even more stressed. I've read the reviews of meters but have a question as to if these are human meters, how do I convert to a number that I know is right for a cat? I need to do something quickly--he is definitely not feeling well and it is breaking my heart. He is only 8 and I love him and his sister Sadie so much. I wonder if I am being selfish making him go through this instead of letting him be at peace, but I am not sure I can end his life either. :(

72. Chris & China (GA)

Hi Moo's mom!!

It would be very helpful for you to start a new post in the Health Forum. I see you have a post in the Introduction forum, but we're limited in how much information we're supposed to give there and when you comment on someone else's thread, your questions can sometimes get lost.

As for the meter, the majority of us here use human meters, and the protocols we use were designed with human meters in mind, so what's important is just knowing what numbers you're shooting for...not worry about how they "convert".....think of it like taking temperatures in Fahrenheit and Celcius....as long as you understand the "scale", you know if 32 degrees is cold or hot!! With a human meter, our "target range" is 50-120

The Relion Confirm or Micro meter (available at WalMart about $15) are favorites around here because they take the smallest sample size and the strips are fairly affordable ($35.88/100 strips but available in smaller amounts). The big cost for treating diabetes comes in the strips for the meters, so whatever meter you decide on, make sure you can afford the strips for it or it's a waste.

Also, I saw that you spent $300 on Lantus....When you need insulin again, check out the information in this "Insulin from Canadian Pharmacies" thread. I think most of us are buying from the pharmacy I mention there because it's 1/3rd the cost it is here in the US

Please go ahead and post in the Health Forum and let's get you going!! Moo can live MANY more years!!...and they can be GOOD years too!!

73. Photorecon

Don't worry Becmom, went through this. First, you got to test, no in vet office curv, this is big business to them
    for something you can and WILL need to to at home, one day. I've done a ton of reading on meters, this was
    the first file I had to attack. Always a month of study and compare made me go with the One Touch Ultra, human
    meter. In regards of accuracy and concistency it does a good job. The only difference between human meter
    and ones for animals is that human ones with score a bit lower due to blood cells structure of things like that.
    The Free Style Lite is another option, I bought both and tested them. Side by side, with an Alphatrak meter
    the Freest Style Lite was a mess. The Alphatrak II for animal was showing a straight curve as the FreeStyle for
    human was going up and down. So if you with a human meter I would not personally recommend this meter (the freestyle lite).

With the One Touch Ultra, I was facing a different kind of challenge. When testing, you punch a little needle size
    ''hole'' (not the right term) to get a little bit of blood. You just sqeeze the vein on the edge of the ear and a tiny
    drop of blood will pup out. You then put the strip you've put in the meter on this drop until it beeps and you get
    the results. The size of the dropplet is what came to be the most important thing in my selection. The One Touch
    Ultra requires 0.5 dont remember what unit, other meters 0.3. From Small Kitty's ear, 0.5 was a huge dropplet,
    at one point I scrapped 5 strips because there was not enough blood. I took the meter and the few free strips, went
    outside and took a brick on the side of the pavement and destroyed the thing. My good, what a relief this was..
    I was feeling very good after that shot.

If you have huge cash flow go with animal meter, if you're kind of watching spending, seek for a .3 microliters blood requirement
    meter. You'll already eliminate quite a few and will not have concern about conversion. Spread Sheet you will download
    from the site and share on google drive will do the entire conversion.

No mater the meter, YOU will do the curv, NOT your VET. Because at the end, you're the one who will have
    the needle between your fingers. With no testing you're climbing on a plane with frosted wind shield and no auto-pilot.

Start as soon as you can watch video on youtube, practice on yourself the gently take you kitty in your harms,
    bring him on the kitchen table or on your knees and gently do what you've learn. I was ok with it right in front
    of the vet, first attempt, no hear damage and been doing it since then. Look at my spread sheet, you'll see
    what a curve is and how many times I've tested, piece of cake.

And don't worry.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  74. Stina

Stina New Member

Hiya, Pat!
    I want to answer you, but think it'd be better at this point to have our chats via our emails, versus this forum -- is that ok? My email: write2bhappy@yahoo.com. Just drop me a quick note, then I'll answer your last message to me properly, ok? Or, if you want to connect on Facebook, my name there is Christina Radatz Sachs. :). (((HUGS)))

75. Photorecon

Hi, regarding test, I face the same thing with Small Kitty, he's always moving to get away the that makes
    test hard. Trick I found is to do it as quick as possible. You press the blood vessel of the ear for a moment
    so you get it ''inflated'' and then just a little quick punch gives you the blood you need. Put you strip on
    asap then you're set. Just put some vaseline with a queue tip and there it is. You don't need to drill a hole,
    just a little punch is enough.

This is, if you have a meter that doesn't require lot's of blood. read the specs for one that needs .3. If you
    go with a meter that need .5 (don't remember the unit), there you will need to drill a hole. This takes more
    time and your chance of blood spreading are higher. My first meter was one requiring great deal of blood.
    After scrapping 5 strips for 1 test I went out and slam it with a hammer, what a relief that was.

That's it.

Sébastien

76. pat121

pat121 Member

I sent an email, but some days AOL seems to reject things. I'm pat0829@aol and I'm Pat Boschen on FB, and there's a picture of Beauregard there rather than me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.