Mid-Cycle Higher Than AMPS?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by fluffles5178, Sep 21, 2019.

1. fluffles5178

fluffles5178 Member

I’m having such a hard time with getting kitty regulated. I’m having computer issues also, so I haven’t been able to input the numbers into the spreadsheet. But, does this sound like bouncing? This morning’s AMPS at 7:38 am was 445. When I tested at 12:40 pm, he was up to 557. Shouldn’t this number be going down? We’ve been at 2.25 units of Prozinc for a few days now. Help!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Two numbers is not enough for us to be able to help you try to determine what is going on. Yes, you would normally expect the number to be lower at +5 (5 hours after shot) than before the insulin shot. But, without more data, there is not enough of a picture to be able to tell you what may be happening. If 'bouncing' were involved, that would indicate that there was a point where the numbers went lower than normal, have you seen that happen in your testing?

Hopefully, you can resolve your computer issues and get numbers in the spreadsheet soon. That is very important in order for anyone to be able to offer assistance.

3. fluffles5178

fluffles5178 Member

I was able to input the numbers into the spreadsheet.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Thank you! Good job on testing at pre-shot times. Would it be possible for you to start getting in some mid-cycle tests? Those are what tell you the impact the insulin is having. With ProZinc, the peak is usually somewhere between +4 and +8, so if you could grab a test in that range, and vary the times some with each cycle, you will begin to get enough data to have an idea of what is going on during the cycles. If you could do a curve (test every 2 hours from one pre-shot to the next pre-shot) on a day you are home, it will give you a picture a little more quickly, but if that is not something you can do or feel comfortable doing yet, that is okay.

I see that you are adjusting the dosing pretty frequently. In my experience, consistency is very important. Also, without mid-cycle data, you really do not have enough to base a dosing change on. You cannot do it on pre-shot numbers alone. So, I would recommend holding a dose consistently (AM and PM) for at least three days while getting in some mid-cycle tests. The only reasons to adjust the dose during that time frame would be 1) if you get a pre-shot number so low that it would be unsafe to give the shot (say 200 or less on your human meter) - in that case it may be safest to skip for now, once you have a little bit more data to show the impact the insulin has on him, you could consider giving a reduced dose (you could always post for input on that); or 2) if you see him go lower than desired during the cycle. If either of these things happens, drop the dose by 1/4 unit at the next shot time and hold that new dose for at least three days (going through the same process). If neither of those things happens, after you have held a dose for at least three days, if the numbers during mid-cycle are still staying higher than desired, it's time to up the dose by 1/4. If you are very systematic about the dose changes - and stay consistent - you will keep from adding volatility to the situation which can happen with frequent dose changes. When things are 'all over the place' it becomes harder to figure out what is going on.

It looks like you went with 2 units this evening. So, I suggest you commit to that dose for now, follow the recommended system above and see how it goes.

5. fluffles5178

fluffles5178 Member

I was able to do a few mid-cycle tests today after several days on 2u. His numbers are still not good. Thoughts?