Milly

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Clare J, Mar 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clare J

Clare J New Member

Hi
    This is just the most amazing site..just wish I wasn’t having to post anything!

Milly is 16 and amongst other ailments she has diabetes. This was kick started possibly by steroids as she’s also had a few episodes of pancreatic flares and raised liver enzymes. Shes now on Budesonide ( for about a month now) which apparently sticks more to the gut and we’re hoping that this won’t effect her glucose levels. So far so good and her appetite is better and she’s basically been feeling so much better in herself. Milly is on 1 unit twice daily ( Lantas) but we’ve found it very stressful testing her blood at home. I have an amazing vet who is a wonderful support and we figured it would be easier on Milly if I just tested her urine every few days with periodic blood tests at the vet. So far so good, we’ve had a couple of times when there’s been a very, very slight trace of glucose, but usually no trace, but today ( midday) it was way, way off the chart! I rang my vet in a bit of a panic and she’s told me to monitor over the next few days, check her urine again periodically and bring her in on Wed for a blood prick test, unless things go haywire. I couldn’t help myself and tested again at about 5 pm and there wasn’t a trace of glucose at all. How did that happen?
    Milly did have a Gabapentine for pain relief this morning and I’m wondering if that would effect the glucose levels at midday?
    Also, I’m also wondering if maybe she had a pancreatic flare yesterday as she was decidedly “off” is I treated her with pain relief and cerenia. If she did would that have shown itself in the way of glucose levels today as I know urine testing isn’t in “real time” and some hours behind?
    She seems better today though her appetite isn’t as it was, though she’s eating enough to have her insulin
    Sorry, I’m such a novice it’s not funny!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Clare, I responded to your Introduction post and I wanted to open the discussion of home testing.

First I suggest you change the title of this thread, as it doesn't give any indication of what you need. Be specific about what you need in the subject line. This will catch the attention of folks who can answer your questions and address concerns. To change the title look up at the top of the page and locate "Thread Tools" on the right hand side, and select the option that says Edit Title.

I know home testing can be difficult, and has been for many of our members, myself included, when we first started. I am hopeful that more experienced and knowledgeable members will chime in on the practice of using the glucose strips for urine as I have not used them. All I have read is that the test results are far more inaccurate than blood sugar testing.
    I do know that home testing is the best way to see how the insulin is affecting Milly, real time on a regular daily basis. Vet visits can increase stress which results in higher BG, which, in turn, can result in raising an insulin dose beyond what kitty really needs. And the periodic vet visits aren't giving you the whole picture of the cycle of insulin effects.

Testing before every injection lets you know it's safe to "shoot", and testing during the cycles between shots is going to let you know just how low the insulin is taking the blood sugar level. This has helped other members (myself included again) by alerting them to a drop and averting a hypoglycemic event, which can be very dangerous.

Do you have a meter and strips on hand? I and many others have suggested a "desensitizing" process, going through the motions of testing without the actual poke on the ear. Find a testing station, comfortable for both human and pet with good lighting. Offer a low carb treat, stroke & fondle the ears, have the meter out (without a strip in it) and let her sniff, offer another low carb treat and let her go. Do this as often as you can and let her know this isn't anything frightening. Here at Idjit's house, we use a cotton sock with uncooked rice in it, warmed just enough in the microwave. Then we warm his ears and rub it over his face and chin. Warming the ears brings blood to the surface a bit faster. It takes awhile for the ears to learn to bleed, the more you prick the ear for a sample, the more capillaries grow, and it gets much easier to get that little blood drop.
    You can also use an old pill bottle with warm water in it.

Please create the signature per the instructions I gave you in the Introduction forum, so that Milly's info is available. Best wishes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.