Milo is no longer diabetic??? Only been a few weeks

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jobeth77, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jobeth77

Jobeth77 New Member

Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to send out a quick message. The vet told me a few weeks ago that my cat Milo-14 y/o (not overweight) tabby had diabetes. He was drinking and peeing a lot and showed the signs. I had him on insulin for a week and he responded well but was going really well and then all of a sudden his numbers have been between 70-100 every day. I did change his food and am wondering if this is why he was having problems in the first place. I'm so happy that he's back to normal. Is this too good to be true?

Joy and Milo

2. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

If you changed him to a low carb wet food, most definitely he could come off of insulin. He is not cured, but in remission and needs to stay low carb. Congrats!

3. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Yes, this is entirely possible. Many on here have experienced the same thing with diet change. Dry food is so bad for kitties and many people do not believe it.

When my Blackie(GA) and Jackie (GA) got diagnosed, I was afraid to start shots. The people on this board made me realize it was no big deal. (They went on PZI insulin around 3-25-06 and went off on 4-18-06! :) I switched my cats off dry food to all wet and I was never so happy. It was a challenge to try to regulate 2 cats at once.

Good job!

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Congrats Jobeth and Milo!!!!! otj_icon

5. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Whoooohooo!
    Congrats!
    Another example of what the diet change to wet can do! (Hmmmm, makes me wonder if all the cats that use insulin for only a couple of weeks needed insulin at all...?) I don't think it's so rare that diet alone can do the job, they just need to be given the chance, IMO.

6. thepeach80

thepeach80 Member

Congrats! Arnold was on insulin for 2 weeks before we were able to take him off. :)

7. paige

paige Well-Known Member

(((Joy))) I am so happy to hear this. Wonderful news. Keep an eye out just in case. Take care :mrgreen:

8. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

What wonderful news! Congratulations to you both.

Please just remember that there is no cure for diabetes ... yet! Milo no longer needs insulin, but he is still a diabetic, just a diet controlled one. His pancreas can handle producing the small amount of insulin he needs for the new low carb canned diet, but if you went back to the hi carb stuff, you would see his BGs rise.

Also remember that these diet controlled guys can be pushed back into needing insulin again if they get sick, pick up an infection, are stressed, need a dental, etc. Seeing a rise in BGs without a food change usually means you need to find out what is going on. In many cases, they can go OTJ once the problem is addressed and corrected. So do continue to monitor those BGs.

But, for now, celebrate! Well done! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.