MIMI 1/12 AMPS 116 PMPS 147 QUESTION ABOUT CALIPER!!!! someone who is good at MATH to check me.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mimis mom, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

2. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

I would feed her 1 tsp of HC and test in 30 minutes.

It is near the ending of the cycle though but better safe than sorry.

3. Mimis mom

I think I remember Marje saying to try to LC first and if it doesn't spike it, try higher. I just fed her the raw formula, should i just give her a little bit of the HC or wait? (don't want to her to eat too much and puke)

4. Crista & Ming

I was thinking that too since we're nearing the end of the cycle. I think it's more up to you and knowing thy cat. I'd test sooner if you choose to feed LC. Perhaps 15-20 minutes.

Si am cat mom likes this.
  5. Mimis mom

I just imagined her going hypo and started having a small panic attack, so I fed her a half teaspoon of the HC.
    My HC is 17 grams on the food chart- is that high enough or is that more medium?
    will test in 10

6. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

it would help others to help you if the SS is up to moment.

7. Mimis mom

55 at +8.5, thats a food spike from the LC. (what if your food is 0, do you still call it LC, or NC?) Ill test again in 15 to see if the 1/2 tsp of HC made a difference.

8. Tanya and Ducia

it's too soon.
    make it 25 min.

9. Mimis mom

SS UPDATED!

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  10. Tanya and Ducia

:D

11. Tanya and Ducia

what did you feed after BG 55?

12. Mimis mom

well minutes before 55 I fed her a 1/3 teaspoon of 17 carb Fussie cat.

13. Crista & Ming

Good job keeping her up. After the next test, if she's up, I would hold off on food and test again in half an hour.

Mimis mom and Tanya and Ducia like this.
  14. Mimis mom

It was 30 mins apart by the time I tested again. got the 44 at +8 and 55 at +8.5

15. Mimis mom

why did she drop? :-/ Just when I thought i learned her nadir, she has this kind of drop. I wish I knew what +4 to +7 was! Could it have been even lower??? Is it possible they can go into hypo and get through it on their own or is hypo only lead to death untreated.

16. Tanya and Ducia

simple: her body responds to the insulin therapy.

BTW, the numbers are very safe , I hope you do not panic.

:):bighug::)

17. Mimis mom

its below 30 you want to worry about right? I just wonder if this was her NADIR or did it happen earlier- or has she been cruising on this number for a while before I had tested.

This earned her a reducie didn't it? she's still newly diagnosed.

18. Tanya and Ducia

no, it is 50 on HUMAN meter when you should start worrying.

19. Tanya and Ducia

Nadir isn't something that you should attempt pining down to a certain time in cycle... it changes and it is get better precision if thought in terms of ranges (of BG) not the exact number to be achieved.. if it makes sense.

let's see how things unfold further down this cyclle..
    :)

20. Mimis mom

ehhhmm I think I understand what you are saying.. Im going to change the title of this because I have a new question and I can't make another condo

21. Mimis mom

Ive read the DOSING WITH CALIPERS and I am really confused on how to figure out the conversion on my UltiCare syringes! Up until know I have been following Relions because I thought they were all the same and I learned that wasn't true. so I measure at the moment 1.5 u at 1.98 on the caliper for example. but that is for Relion.

"Please be sure and measure the millimeters in 1u on your syringe type.
    To do this, find as many near perfect syringes as possible where the zero mark lines up perfectly at the top. Measure all of them to see if you can get a pretty consistent measurement in mm for 1u.
    Once you do that, you can calculate the remainder of your doses."

^^^^I don't get it. I need to do this and I do not understand. Unless someone knows someone that has configured Ulticare syringes already. AHHHH HELP!
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dosing-with-calipers-updated-w-videos.79851/

22. Mimis mom

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dosing-with-calipers-updated-w-videos.79851/
    the nadir thing will forever confuse me. Do you think her lowest number was indeed her nadir or could it have been even lower? Im so confused.. It takes me a minute to understand things but once I do I get it inside and out!

23. Mimis mom

what numbers are very safe? the 44?

24. Tanya and Ducia

:) on human meter - any above 50 is safe;
    on pet specific like AlphaTrack - 68.

25. Mimis mom

Right but I was wondering what you meant when you said the numbers are very safe, what numbers?

26. Tanya and Ducia

on dosing w/ dig. calipers: I really think you can stick with 1/4U reduction/ increasing at this time. Safe the micro adjustments for later.

The BG 44 at + 8 in AM gives you a right to reduce by whole 1/4U - go for it now.

I might suggest you shoot the full dose again if the PMPS is high enough, and take the dutiful reduction tomorrow AM.
    But, again, let's see what the ## are like by the PS.

Mimis mom likes this.
  27. Crista & Ming

I'll try to explain it in a different way. Yes, knowing when nadir is will be helpful to you but cats change all the time. Knowing when nadir is AROUND is probably as close as you'll get. For example, if I get a low number before when my cat nadirs, then I may do things differently as opposed to if I get a lower number after when my cat's nadir is. It's just good to attempt to have a general idea of when it is. It will not be exact. And when kitty nadirs will change.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  28. Tanya and Ducia

I meant your current BG numbers at a time - it was 65 at AMPS +9.
    Some new people do panic when they see 55 or arpound - I wanted to spare you the worry in case you were one the new "worrying" type.
    :)

29. Mimis mom

OHH I for SURE am, but not as much as I was when I was new. If I saw 44 when I was new I would have rubbed karo all over her gums and freaked out.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  30. Mimis mom

ok I think I figured out 1.28 on the caliper is 1 U for Ulticare syringes.. NOW, how the hell do I figure out what .1, .2, .3, .4, etc etc is?!??!!?

wait scratch that, now its saying 1.61...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  31. Tanya and Ducia

I do not do math . - So cannot help with micro on your syringes. But I really think yo u are ok to do full quarter of a unit reduction, if you are wish.

32. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Rosa!

Regarding when in the cycle that the 44 was is a good idea. It was later in the cycle so I would always try LC first and then retest in 20-30 mins and if she isn’t coming up, then I would go with a higher carb food.

As far as your question about raw food and carbs, there’s carbs in raw.

For 1 oz

duck =6
    Chicken= 3
    Turkey = 3.1

33. Bobbie And Bubba

And congratulations! She earned a reduction ! So the next cycle you should reduce the dose by 0.25 making the new dose 1.25.

34. Tanya and Ducia

Glad to see you see, Bobby!
    I am taking my leave now.

35. Bobbie And Bubba

Hi Tanya! I hope you and Ducia are doing well! Happy New Year!

36. Mimis mom

Ok soooo, I’ve been doing something in between 1.5 and 1.75 as experimentation to see if she’s sensitive to adjustments smaller than a whole .25

now I just might have made myself nuts though because now I have to figure out what 2.15mm is on a ulticare syringe because I was following Relion brand because it thought they were all the same. :banghead:

37. Mimis mom

I think I have figured it out- I got 1.53 for 1 unit on the caliper, and my cousin told me that .1 is just .153. so I've been doing the math- .2 is .306 however there isn't a triple digit under 1 mm so I remember that you round up or down from whichever is closer to five. so I got .2 as .31mm

And bringing it all the way to what I have been dosing her now- she's getting 2.15 on the meter- it says 1.4 units is 2.14 mm on my syringe so she's been getting around 1.5 units after all but now a fat dose, more a skinny! so tonight I can easily figure out what the 1.25 is.

PHEWWWWW

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  38. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

I use the calipers as well and I sure like that double reassurance because half the time in the morning, I'm still in a fog and I don't want to screw up the dosing!

Just make sure you use the mm measurement for the calipers and not think it's the number of units to draw in the syringe.

Mimis mom likes this.
  39. Mimis mom

OMG YES!!! HER AM AND PM HAVE BEEN BOTH BLUE NUMBERS! I DONT THINK SHES EVER HAD THAT BEFORE! Ive been having lots of talks with her while I cuddle, coaching her to tell her little pancreas to calm down again and start working right, and I think she's hearing me, just like she heard me the night before I thought she was going to die from DKA!! SHES SUCH A SMART CAT. Theres always been something different about her- she's an old soul.

40. Judy and Freckles

You and Mimi are doing awesome! The DREAM TEAM! :) Even shooting blue numbers like it's been done a million times before!

Mimis mom likes this.
  41. Judy and Freckles

Really? 3 carbs in 1 oz of raw chicken? Do the carbs disappear when the chicken is cooked, because everything that I've looked up says 0 carbs in cooked chicken? Obviously something I need to learn more about!

42. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi, not to make things more confusing for you, but when I started using calipers I posted on this board to ask if anyone used calipers with UltiCare syringes and somebody wrote back to say that .25 units is .33 on the calipers.
    Wishing you & Mimi all the best!

43. Mimis mom

I think I measured it right...
    so how much was one unit?

44. Mimis mom

Ya I don’t know how I feel about hearing muscle meat, heart, liver, has carb content.. doesn’t seem right? If you look at Dr Piersons food chart there are lots of canned option with 0 carbs on her list, so it has to exist.

45. Mimis mom

46. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

@Mimis mom is

Calipers. Make sure it's set mm. And when closed it reads zero.

Measure out what 1 unit reads on the syringes you are using = 1.53 mm. From your posts above.

Take that number and multiple it by the number of units you give (1.25)

Close the calipers, make it zero and now set calipers for the number you just got 1.91 mm.

1.53 mm (caliper reading for 1 unit) x 1.25 (dose of insulin you give) = 1.91mm (setting to put on calipers to give 1.25 units)

Remember, anytime you use different brand or start new package, even if same brand you have to recalculate.

keep a list so you have them:

1.53 mm x 1.25u = 1.91 mm
    ". x 1.50u = 2.29 mm

1.53 mm x 0.75u = 1.15 mm

47. Bobbie And Bubba

It does get confusing! I am going on a Darwin’s Raw food guide. When feeding our kitties raw , supplements like liver and calcium , taurine and other things need to be added to make the food a complete meal for the raw food ( like mice , rabbits, etc) that the cat would get in the wild. Those other things boost up the carbs.

I use EZ complete for my supplementation of the raw food and any that I cook.

Si am cat mom likes this.
  48. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

One unit is 1.32 on the calipers with the numbers I'm using. I didn't measure it myself, I just used the info somebody gave me when I asked here.

49. Judy and Freckles

So the chicken itself is then zero carbs?

50. Judy and Freckles

I think I read somewhere to take an average from 5 syringes of the same brand.

51. Bobbie And Bubba

Yes, all by itself the chicken is zero carbs. But , when you feed raw meats to the kitties, you need to add something like EZ complete to make it totally supported. That will add some carbs.

The carb count I gave you in the above post was the carb count from a commercial frozen raw company , Darwin.

I don’t use them as I have a great butcher down the street with no added antibodies or hormones and I use the EZCOMPLETE from www.foodfurlife.com.

But adding the supplements will add some carbs to the food , but not a lot.

Check out foodforlife website for some more info if you do your own raw meats.

52. Mimis mom

The food I give them is the entire animal, bones, liver, heart, and that’s it. If you have that you done need supplements

53. Judy and Freckles

Thanks for the explanation Bobbie. Makes sense now!:)