? Mimi 3/29 AM pre shot (not yet) 60- should I stall or shoot? Seems really hungry

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mimis mom, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

2. Mimis mom

Ok I’m reading shooting low to stay low.

I’m going to feed her now, since last time she ate was at +9

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If it were me, I would shoot. If you are unsure, wait a bit and re-test.

On the "shoot" side, you will be feeding Mimi and it takes a while for onset to occur. If you do opt to shoot, please get early tests (e.g., at +0.5, +1) so you're sure that numbers aren't continuing to drop and so you can intervene early, if necessary.

Mimis mom likes this.
  4. Mimis mom

Thanks Sienne!!!! That’s what I was thinking too, but feel better knowing you confirmed!

5. Mimis mom

So at the +.5 I should see a little food spike right?

6. Mimis mom

Mimi shot 1.5 u

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Maybe. It depends on Mimi!! I would just be attentive. My thinking is based on my experience with Gabby who could drop early in the cycle. Well, that and it's much easier on the nerves if you catch a drop early vs being surprised by low numbers.

Mimis mom likes this.
  8. Mimis mom

:facepalm:I want to see if I can sneak this in quick- this Tuesday she has her dental cleaning and possible extraction (also going to remove a mass from her back where the injection site was when first diagnosed and was told to shoot only in scruff and in the same spot)
    Vet wants to biopsy it and make sure it’s not cancerous.
    Two questions
    Should I bother having it removed or is it for sure from the injections I was giving in the same spot? Only hesitation would be it costing an extra 500$ If it’s unnecessary or could it stress her out having an Incisionon her back to heal?

Second question
    they want her drop off to be 8:30am (and I usually give her am shot at 9:30) but told me they could always give her the shot. I can’t believe I actually believe I would give the shot better than the techs and even vet (based on my past experience of them telling me to use a pen needle (and an EXTRA long one), to just stick it straight down into her (which I now know is most definitely going to give her a muscle shot especially with the length of the pen needle) and to decrease by 1 whole unit or skip entirely if her numbers are on the low side (I think low was 34, then got up to 110 after eating and riding into the car to the ER because I freaked out when I first saw that number and it was before I joined this life saving group.
    Ok so my question is- should I tell them how I give her the shot? Or wait- aren’t you not supposed to eat before surgery? Should she just skip her am shot!?
    I’ll also as this in the general forum too...

9. Mimis mom

yea she’s been surprising me lately pulling tricks pre shot. (Pre shot a few cycles ago was at 21!?) I still think it was because we had a dog here for 3 days- because for a while she was going between 1.25-1.5 seemed to be her numbers- and then after Maizy (Basenji) was here she went all the way up to 2! But then dropped quickly over the next few cycles.
    these kitties keep us on our toes for sure and animals are so good at hiding stress!

10. Mimis mom

+.5 79 +1 88

11. Mimis mom

+2 62

should I prepare for an active cycle and feed MC or wait

12. Mimis mom

Mimi +3 is 45
    Fed LC canned at +2.5 that has 7%

up to MC or go to HC?

13. Mimis mom

Ok just reread the low numbers sticky and it said to give HC if under 50 and test again in 20.

Well good news is Mimi earned a reducie!
    1.25 next cycle

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  14. Mimis mom

mimi +3.5 50

more HC

15. Mimis mom

Ok got a little nervous and threw in with the HC some pill pockets (2) because I read they have dried corn syrup in them.

(25 minutes later) +4 82

ok. and just learned one pill pocket has 48% carbs.......

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  16. Mimis mom

wow, I just learned what her UT strength supplements had in them...https://www.vetriproline.com/sellsheets/090056H.090.pdf (which she's been out of for over a month but have been meaning to restock)

It says theres like 43% carbs???? WTF is wrong with Manufacturers? Is this number like in the entire bottle, or maybe it doesn't effect the same cause its low in calories? Or perhaps, its like taking a piece of candy whenever they eat it.

17. Mimis mom

18. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

I can only relate to my experience with a dental. My vet's instructions were no food after midnight and no insulin in the morning and the clinic was going to give her insulin. My shot time is 5:30 am and Freckles wasn't going to have her dental until 10:30 am or later (even though I dropped her off at 8:00 am). I told my vet that by them giving her insulin at the clinic it would seriously screw up her shot time for when she returned to me. So my vet agreed to me giving her 1/2 of her normal insulin shot in the morning along with 1/2 of her food. Freckles' body had at least 5 hours to digest the food.

I had posted here for dental advice prior to the appointment so I felt confident in making the compromise to my vet.

Mimis mom likes this.
  19. Mimis mom

+5.5 117

20. Mimis mom

what did you post originally?

21. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member