MIMI update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Miimi and Velvet Mirth, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Miimi and Velvet Mirth

Miimi and Velvet Mirth Member

Just wanted to post a quick update on our Mimi. She is officially in remission. Her fructosamine test came back at 89 which is amazing and all her values are good, including negative ketones and steady weight. We still test her twice a day for now.
    However...
    it appears that the high levels of phosphorus in her new low carb diet found in the Fancy Feast Seafood and a couple of others might have caused her SDMA blood level to have doubled from the time we switch her a month ago. The vet told us that test is a warning sign that her kidneys are becoming diseased.
    It was such a struggle to transition her from dry to wet food as it is that the thought of introducing new food yet again is worrying, but we have found a series of canned food that is both low card and low phosphorus and of course she is not eating any of it because that would be way too easy! :)
    If anyone has heard about this issue of low card/high phosphorus or if i can now give her MC or high carb/low phosphorus food now she is in remission? The Last thing I want is for her to develop diet related diabetes again..

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Once a diabetic always a diabetic. Your best option is to find a low carb/low phosphorus food that she is willing to eat!

Dr. Lisa's list has a lot on there you could try. Have your tried mixing in the low phosphorus with the FF to see if you could slowly switch her over?

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Tracey is correct. If you feed Mimi a diet that's high in carbs, there's a better than good chance her diabetes will become a problem.

The other option, although your vet will need to be consulted, is a phosphorus binder. You could feed Mimi her favorite food but any food you give her that's high in phos has to have the binder added. The more popular binders are odorless and tasteless. I'm not remembering which I used with Gabby. If you change your subject line and ask about phos binders, I'm sure people will chime in.

4. Miimi and Velvet Mirth

Miimi and Velvet Mirth Member

That is great info. Thanks! I will ask my vet to get me some.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Tanya’s website had good information on phosphorus binders https://www.felinecrf.org/potassium.htm#high

I managed to find some low carb low phos canned foods, plus made my own with the FoodFurLife premix which is low P. Eventually I used aluminum hydroxide which was a tasteless powder added to food. Thriving Pets was a good source. A little goes a long way.