? Miralax for constipated kitties

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amy & Tommy, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy & Tommy

Amy & Tommy Member

Hi all, wanting to know from any members that treat their kitties' constipation with miralax - when do you generally stop adding it to meals?
    I've just returned from Tommy's vet to pickup a stool sample cup and asked about it. They said keep giving it to him until his stool turns softer like before, although it could be a permanent addition. I guess if he proves to have some type of condition this would make sense, I just worry that since it says it takes 1-3 days to work, he could go to the other extreme with dehydrating diarrhea.

2. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

I'd say when you get to the constistency you want, and then taper it off after a couple days. Rufus started needing it and now I'm giving just a little as maintenance.

Amy & Tommy likes this.
  3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I have a civvie with delayed gastric emptying (slow stomach) who is on a regular maintenance dose of Miralax. He gets 1/8 tsp mixed in with his food at breakfast and dinner, as well as an added 2 tbs water for hydration. This is the only thing that has worked for him (he vomits when things move too slowly in his system). Always check with your vet before starting any med/supplement regimen! :):cat:

Amy & Tommy likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Our vet had us start with 1/8 teaspoon Miralax (or the generic is fine too) once a day, and then go to twice a day. Vet said we could go up on the dose as needed.

Maintenance dose here too for my civie girl Dancer. She gets 1/8 teaspoon Miralax with first breakfast and also 1/8 teaspoon psyllium husk fiber with both first breakfast and first dinner. Extra water, 1 tablespoon, added to the canned food. Without this maintenance dose, her poops are rock hard.

Some folks give their cats plain canned pumpkin. Unfortunately, not all cats will eat that (Dancer won't), but some like it. Does not raise the BG levels. The pumpkin can also help with diarrhea since it is adding fiber to bulk things up. It's been awhile since I used the pumpkin, but I seem to remember starting with 1 teaspoon and increasing as needed.

Try not to feed too many freeze dried treats either. Too many can be constipating.

Never had an issue with dehydrating diarrhea. You don't want so much Miralax that the poop is too soft, not like pudding consistency soft. Just soft enough to pass easily.

Some times you have to experiment a bit to see what will work for your kitty. It's one of those ECID (every cat is different) things.

5. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Harley my civic had been using a similar product to aide with constipation (Restora-lax) and I give him 1/8tsp with each morning and evening feeding, and I always mix water with his 1/2 can FF. I tried weening him off but constipation returns so he gets it daily and it’s been months and he has no issues. Yes, check the consistency of the poop as you may have to adjust the amount to what’s good for your cat. Their food is about the consistency of Chile, not too thick and not too watery. Davidson who’s diabetic at times gets into Harley’s food, it there is no risk re increase in BG since there are no carbs in it, not in Miralax.

I give each pumpkin ever day and there is no risk either as it’s pure fibre and good for any cat.......

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

How is Tommy feeling? Looks like he needs a dose boost.

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.