Misho from Bulgaria

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Di&Misho, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Di&Misho

Di&Misho Member

Good morning from Bulgaria! We have our first green numbers on Misho's SS :RAHCAT and a blue AMPS today ! I am so happy and just wanted to share this news with you. I know now I have to be careful and have questions. Why don't you shoot at preshot below 200 ( BJM mentioned I can use 150 as starting point) - will it be safe if I have such number and just wait an hour for the BG to raise itself and then shoot the usual dose instead of skipping the shot ? And second question - is it likely to see nadir earlier with lower preshot number? What I mean is that I test BG at +3 at the earliest but usually + 4 and then + 6 and up. Thank you and have a great day everyone !

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Fantastic! :D I would shoot that 171 this morning. We tell new people starting out, who don't have much data, not to shoot below 200. As you get more data, you get a better idea of what Misho's cycles look like. With Levemir, it's a little different because the onset is later than it is for Lantus so kitty will rise for a few hours after that preshot. And you know Misho is coming up because you have that +10 test which is great to have. It's when people don't have many tests before their preshot, so don't know if kitty is going up or go down, that we suggest waiting before giving insulin. One other option, as you suggested, is to wait 1/2 hour or an hour (without feeding which would influence the numbers), test again, and if rising, give insulin.

Eventually as you become more familiar with shooting lower numbers, you can lower your no shoot number. I've shoot anything above 50, but that's because preshot is often Neko's nadir and I have lots of data.

Nadir's may be different with a lower preshot, or maybe not. Again this is where you need to gather data about Misho's cycles. If Neko has a green preshot, her nadir is usually earlier, but her nadir is quite variable.

3. Di&Misho

Di&Misho Member

Thank you Wendy! I actually shot the usual dose as it was not that low even for new members. I have just tested at +3 and the reading was 17,3 (*18). It is strange that we always have a food spike at lower preshot.. Or may be it is a slight bounce because of the low nadirs. Anyway having tested the BG now I think it is not very likely to see low number before +5. We will see...

4. Di&Misho

Di&Misho Member

Something went wrong again with us :roll: I don't understand why sometimes instead of getting the numbers down they go up with no particular reason :oops: When it is a bounce I understand,if I have changed sth in MIsho's daily routine I can understand but when it happens with no particular reason I am confused and it is not the first time. I thought that after the nice green color on Wednesday evening I will see it more and more often but instead of this last night BG didn't drop even to blue and today we have that pink AMPS :sad: Is it something I am doing wrong or it just happens sometimes? Any thoughts? Thank you !

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Numbers can wobble around when kitty is bouncing. I've noticed with Neko that often the start of the third cycle after the low number is the one where her numbers are the highest. It can take up to 6 cycles for the bounce to fully clear. Nothing much you can do but wait.

6. Di&Misho

Di&Misho Member

Thank you Wendy ! I am always worried it is me doing something that is not right. Or may be I am not patient enough... I decided to keep the doses for at least 5 days before increase and give Misho's body enough time to get used to low numbers. It is more safe this way instead of rushing to low numbers that cause ths so called bounce. Fondest regards from us and thank you for your time ! :YMHUG:

7. Thebudster77

Thebudster77 Member

Hi Misho,

Welcome to Mystery Numbers Club. I know I am not the founding member, but certainly one of its newest.

It has taken me a while to process all the information and with a lot of help from the people here I am able to understand more aspects of those mysterious numbers.

Right now I am steadying things up with Jack so his numbers are looking much better.

So the moral to the story, hang in there, ask questions, do research and just dance as best you can.

All the best,
    Kevin

8. Di&Misho

Di&Misho Member

I am trying my best Kevin, not a good dancer though :oops: As regards questions- I keep asking, may be too much and too often but this is why I am here. Have a great day and say hi to Jack from MIsho :smile: Thank you for yr support !

9. Thebudster77

Thebudster77 Member

Hi Misho,

I had the same feeling about asking questions initially. Please, never stop asking.

After interacting with all the people here, they made me feel very comfortable about asking questions. And the only stupid thing that WE can do is to NOT ask the questions.

The people here care about Kitties just as much as we do. They are here to help us but can only help us so much unless we ask questions, get answers and process those answers into actions.

I had my first Surfing experience last night. It was so great to see Jack surf. And I was very comfortable that I had people here watching me, watch Jack.

I am positive that this was all made possible by the information that I received here and the people who took their time to answer my questions.
    Kevin

10. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Di,

The only stupid question here is the one that goes unasked :D Although sometimes the only answer is Because he's a cat and he can. :roll:

Mel and The Fur Gang

11. Di&Misho

Di&Misho Member

Hi there, very unexpectedly today at +6 Misho's BG is 36 ! I gave him to lick some honey as we don't have this syrup you use and also 2 tea spoons of his food. I now will stay here to check again
    but when it will be safe I mean how many readings I have to see going up ? Hope there is someone to give me a hand. Misho is OK no sign of any discomfort.
    P.S. it seems no one is online.. will edit this post with the new readinds
    @ + 6,30. BG- 2,8 sorry 50,4 yr readings
    @+ 7 BG- 54 I think he wont drop again but will be back in an hour to check again. I hope he won't bounce now...

12. javasfambam

javasfambam Member

Hi Di

Im pretty new - but, when kitty has low number like this, you want to test every 30 minutes until you get 5 rising numbers in a row.

Giving honey is excellent, but this will wear off quite quickly. If you can, also offer a teaspoon of high carb food - gravy if you can! You don't want to fill Misho up if you need him to eat.

Im just popping off to find a post on how to handle low numbers to give you all the information.

Back in a moment

Charlene

13. javasfambam

javasfambam Member

Here is the link for how to treat a hypo/low number situation.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15887

re the bounce - Mishos liver might just be a little nervous with these low numbers and should send some glucose Mishos way - this may mean a higher number in the morning, and throughout the next cycle. Don't panic, it will clear :)

Im around for awhile - like I said I'm new and im sure you have this totally under control, but Ill hang with you and Misho incase you want someone to talk to :) :coffee:

Someone with more experience just might pop up along the way!!

Charlene

14. Di&Misho

Di&Misho Member

Thank you so much Charlene! I didn't panic but wanted to be sure I am doing the right thing as Misho made some progress lately and I was afraid to not make a mess :oops: For now it seems everything is under control BG @+8 -64,8 . I didn't give Misho anything else to eat except his regular food as where he lives I only have this and a small jar of bee honey but will bring here his dry diabetic just in case. I hope someone more experienced than us both :smile: will be online before our PM shot just in case the number is unusual. It is 2 p.m. here Saturday . Thank you for your help :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

15. javasfambam

javasfambam Member

Looks like you are doing everything you can and Misho is heading the right direction :)

Its 11 pm Saturday night here in New Zealand :) Its raining tonight, and my long haired black kitty has just come inside all wet, and is insisting on sitting on me :)

16. Di&Misho

Di&Misho Member

Definitely we are out of danger, I gave Misho 1tea spoon food more @ BG- 64.8 . 1 hour later the BG is 108 phew :smile: I now hope for a slight bounce only but whatever it is I will know the reason. Thanks again for keeping me company in a tough moment.Sunny greetings from Bulgaria and us cat_pet_icon

17. javasfambam

javasfambam Member

That's most awesome :) I'm glad he has decided to surf on the big boy waves :) You did good!

Have a wonderful Saturday - sweet dreams from rainy New Zealand :)

18. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Hi Di

You did great managing the low numbers.
    Was there anything that explained why these happened, like vomiting or not eating?

Also, he has earned a 0.25 unit reduction by going so low! (It could go back up or further down later.)

19. Di&Misho

Di&Misho Member

Hi BJM ! No ,nothing unusual happened. Misho is doing fine,no problem of any kind. I was so much surprised to see this low number. Do you mean that I have to shoot 1,5IU this evening because of the low number? No matter what the preshot will be? Actually I have 1 more hour to preshot. Hope you will see this question :roll:

20. Tisha's_Person

Tisha's_Person Member

Di,

In case BJM doesn't see your last post, don't give the PM shot unless BG is over 200. Otherwise, you'll risk another hypo. If BG is high enough, then reduce the dose per BJM's instructions. If Misho bounces, it will probably be high enough.

Also, just an FYI, it would probably help people to help you if you started a new post at some point. Most people start a new post each day. That way it's easier to find what you're actual question/emergency is.

21. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If he is higher due to a bounce and over 150 mg/dL, you can shoot through it, then take the reduction (if you are following Tight Regulation) or you can take it at this shot. Levemir has such a sustained action, I'd be inclined to take the reduction now, so I wouldn't be worried about him gooing too low again.

You've been shooting long enough that your no shot limit can be 150 mg/dL.

Also, it looks like Misho takes about 6-7 days to stabilize on Levemir, so keeping the same dose for that long before any increases is wise.

22. Di&Misho

Di&Misho Member

I will be with Misho in about 20 minutes but I am not sure you will be here BJM so let me see if I got it right. I decrease PM shot with 0,25 and go down to 1,5 .I shoot any preshot number above 150 if less I wait. Do I keep 1,5 for next shots or it depends on the numbers??
    EDIT : PMPS 297- he bounced but I shot 1,5 as suggested. How about tomorrow?

Tisha, thank you for your help and I do appologize but I didnt know I have to start a new post. This is why I changed the icon as it was urgent question. I thought that when you have all your story in one post it is easier :roll: I am sorry if I broke some rules here :oops:

23. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Giving 1.5 was what I meant.

To make a new post, look at the top of the page, where it says

Board Index < FELINE HEALTH: The Main FDMB Forum

Click on that.

Then, in the upper left, look for a button which says

NEWTOPIC

Click on that.

In the Subject box, enter "Misho", the date, and optionally, a glucose reading or note

Mark any icons such as the question mark if you have a question. We reserve candles and rainbows for kitties who have passed away.

Fill in the text box as needed.

A link to your previous post helps folks who want to review. To get that, go to the top of this post and copy the web site link, also known as the URL. Click the URL button.
    Paste the link between the 2 brackets ]link here[ and that will do it.

24. Di&Misho

Di&Misho Member

I think I managed with the new topic . Thank you to Lisa and BJM .
    Misho's new post is HERE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.