Mishu is back at the vet - not for diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amanda Weaver, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda Weaver

Amanda Weaver New Member

So I wake up this morning and Mishu is no where to be seen. This is not normal because "normal" is her being right beside me or waking me up before the alarm for food. It took me 15 minutes to find her, she was sitting in the cat carrier by herself with the door almost closed. Of course I am panicking and she doesnt want food so I check her bg - 165. Pretty normal number for her. She leaves and goes right back into the carrier. I called the vet, but they couldn't see her immediately, so I had to go to work and husband took her over there.

After bloodwork, they're pleased with how her bg is stabilizing. On their scales she was 302 and that was Prozinc free for 14 hours. I skipped her dose this morning since she would not eat. The diet is helping a lot though.

TP and Glob are elevated enough that they say something else is going on and they are going to do x-rays. They tell me with older cats, cancer is always something to look for and the x rays will see if there are tumors they didn't know about. We're doing all this by phone calls now because husband has left to go home while she stays there for the day.

When the x rays come back it shows no masses, but instead she is super constipated with what looks like bone fragments in her intestines! Has anyone dealt with this?????????? Mishu's getting fluids and an enema to try to break down things and get it moving so they can see exactly what is inside her, but their guess is bones. This was very strange to me since I have no idea how she could have eaten bones. My vet said with the wet food they grind up meat and bones all together and it could have just been not ground well enough and blocked her up. She is on Friskies pate fyi. Soon enough I will know what is actually in there. Do you guys have problems with bones in wet food? I've never felt so new to so many things related to this cat.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Oh, my goodness! I have never heard of that happening. How scary. Is there NOTHING safe we can feed our cats???

I hope she is okay.

Amanda Weaver likes this.
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What were the globulin and total protein levels together with their normal ranges?
    If only slightly elevated the higher level are likely the results of the "real" problem.
    A high total protein can be due to dehydration.
    I have not had any problems with bones in Friskies pates and I feed most varieties.
    Could Mishu gotten into something from the trash?
    How have Mishu's feces been lately?

Amanda Weaver likes this.
  4. Amanda Weaver

Amanda Weaver New Member

@Larry and Kitties I have no idea with feces because multi cat household and I don't know whos is whos! Everything has been solid and normal. I do not have a copy of the blood work in front of me and I wasn't there to see the levels. I really don't think she had gotten in the trash but anything is possible. There 100% would not have been bones in my trash because I don't eat/cook anything with bones but since we're just going on xray, it could be plastic or anything else in trash that she's gotten. I even asked if it could be litter she ingested for some reason because bones just seemed so impossible. They haven't called me back to know what was inside her yet.

5. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

I hope you get good news about Mishu. One day after we moved, I came into the kitchen and there was a pork chop bone in the middle of the floor! Bohdi is a known garbage peeker but never anything like that. Needless to say I almost panicked...and there is now a bungee on the garbage can! Don't know yet if the new kitten has a propensity for garbage picking but we're not going to find out!

6. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I have two Bengals who are garbage hounds, especially if there are any chicken bones to be had. Drives me crazy! The bungee is a good idea, I am going to try it, lol!

Amanda, any news yet on Mishu?

vbc2000 likes this.
  7. Amanda Weaver

Amanda Weaver New Member

They have no guarantee of what is inside her but still think it's bones. The enema got her to pass a lot of it. But her initial x-ray had pieces sprinkled all through her system. They gave me a ziplock of some of the material and it's hard small rock looking pieces. She's 100% indoors and we have a trashcan she can't get into as far as we know. I'm going to write Friskies about this because that's been the only food she's eaten in more than a week. I will send them the sample.

$400 later - My vet said to choose a different food so we are trying FF. However, vet said she did not expect to see numbers like hers after no insulin this morning (almost normal!) so least she's making good glucose progress!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. Lillie

Lillie Member

Wow- this is kind of scary. I hope you kept some of the material to have it analyzed by someone other than Friskies.

FranklinsMom likes this.
  9. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for you guys going thru all of this, Amanda!
    I hope that when you write to Friskies & Co. you find the foulest language legally allowed!
    Please do not forget to tell them that you are not simply one upset customer but rather a part of world wide cat product industry consumers family 16 thousands strong. Your opinion and testimony as to their product's quality will be heard from Canada and US to Australia and GB and many of us may start to boycott unless they improve quality control asap. :mad: There are plenty of competition to Frieskies to choose from. If they hurt one of ours we'll hurt back and buy something else.
    Speedy recovery to Mishu!:bighug:

10. Amanda Weaver

Amanda Weaver New Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvic...ats_wet_food_has_bones_in_it_and_it_has_been/

Here's another person I found with a similar issue. We've switched to Fancy Feast and I'm really smashing it around trying to find anything hard or sharp. Also mixing in pumpkin in hopes that the cats will pass everything easily. Tonight I'm going through one of the cans of Friskies from this box that I still have to see what I find. Btw, Purina offered me some coupons for new cans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.