Miss Kitty joins the group!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lwilli, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lwilli

lwilli New Member

I'm so glad I found this group! Already I am seeing info about litter box issues we are having, feeding helps, and treatment info.

Our 14 1/2 year old DSH calico, Miss Kitty (a.k.a "The Ning-rat ") was losing weight like crazy last summer and fall. I watched her drink gobs of water (dipping from the bowl with her paw like royalty.) She seemed unable to eat the dry food we'd always fed her and her brother, Mr. Boy (a Garfield look-alike.) We started feeding her canned food twice daily and settled on Fancy Feast Classics because both cats would eat it. By the time we were able to get Kitty to the vet she was just over 7 pounds (down from a peak weight of 13 pounds), lethargic, using the dining room rug as her litter box, dehydrated and had a blood glucose of over 400. (I know I sound like a very neglectful, bad cat parent for letting things go with her so long---it's a long story, just know she is now getting the attention she needs.) Vet cultured her urine for UTI and treated that. Gave her subcutaneous fluids. Showed us how to give insulin injections, sent us home with Prozinc, a sharps kit, a case of Science diet WD food, strict instructions to not feed dry food or treats, and a $550 bill. Ouch! Wow! Holy mackerel!

Miss Kitty's appetite now is insatiable. She eats her wet food portion, then finishes whatever her brother has left behind. And fights the dog for whatever protein is left on human breakfast/dinner plates. She has gained a little weight back and doesn't look so emaciated. I am pleased to read that canned food can be left out for cats to graze on as they want---I will increase the amount of food we put out for both cats so nobody feels deprived. I am also excited to know we can go back to feeding FF Classics as alternative to expensive no-grain foods.

Now Miss Kitty is getting only 1 U Prozinc morning and at night. She has adjusted well to my administering her shots, but my husband is less successful and so we have a problem with timing and consistency (also he is retired; I am not.) Our vet suggested doing the 12-hour testing of glucose levels, but we have not been able to do this at home, and we can't afford to have the vet do it. The vet also suggested a blood test called a fructosamine level. What would be the value of doing this test?

I am certain Kitty's blood sugar is still too high, but we are working at trying to give shots every 12 hours, feeding on a predictable schedule and saving $ to take her back to the vet for follow-up. At least she looks better and has so much more energy! Mr. Boy is getting used to eating wet food instead of his much-preferred dry kibble. Instead of the awful Friskees treats they used to love, we are giving a few pieces of high quality low carb dry food as treats.

I look forward to hearing from some of this wise & loving community!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Are you doing home testing? You mentioned that you have not been able to do 'the 12-hour testing of glucose levels' which I assume means doing a curve, but I was unclear on whether you are testing at all. Testing at home is so very important. It is really the only way to know what is going on with your baby's glucose levels and to keep her safe. When you do test at home, you can also save a lot of money on vets!

A fructosamine test provides the average glucose level over the previous two to three weeks. It can be useful at diagnosis and periodically during treatment if someone is not willing to do home testing. If you will do home testing, including the occasional curve when needed, you do not have to have a fructosamine test... another cost savings!

Feel free to post any questions you have on the main health forum. You will get lots of advice and support here.

Myagi (GA) and Heidi and lwilli like this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to you both!

We can help you with hints and tips to improve your home testing technique. Just post on Feline Health with the problems you've been having and we'll suggest things for you to try so as to make it quicker and easier for you and Miss Kitty.

Mogs

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! Glad you are finding useful information here.

5. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

Hello to you and Miss Kitty!

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

7. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.