Missy - diagnosed 9/4 for 2nd time

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Priya&Missy, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Priya&Missy

Priya&Missy Member

Hi everyone, my baby Missy was diagnosed with diabetes January 2017. She was incredibly sensitive to insulin (Lantus) and had several hypo episodes that led to 3 expensive ER visits and I almost lost her. After that I was scared and only gave her a small amount of insulin everyday (once a day) and she never was regulated well. Her numbers were still in the 300s-400s, sometimes more. I didn’t know much about diabetes and neither did my vet. I wish I knew about this website!

Fast forward to September 2018 and she was incredibly sick - lethargic, not eating well, low energy. Went to the vet and her glucose was 766, kidney values were high, she was dehydrated, had pancreatitis, etc. I switched her to a low carb / low phosphorus / moderate protein wet food (whole earth farms duck pate) and she immediately went into remission and stayed that way for around 10 months (bg hovered around 80). Before that she was eating Wellness canned food - chicken I believe.

Since then I’ve been doing daily subq fluids, phosphorus binder (niacinamide), b complex, b12 shots twice a week (for anemia), amlodipine (high blood pressure), Miralax (constipation), Pepcid (stomach acid), ondansetron (for nausea), gabapentin (for arthritis and other pain), and Mirataz occasionally to help with appetite.

She was stable for a long time and so was her bloodwork until I noticed her coughing frequently in July. I thought it was asthma or allergies but an x-Ray revealed a primary lung tumor. I was crushed. I met with an oncologist and we started her on prednisolone and palladia, an oral chemo pill. She is not a candidate for surgery, radiation, or anesthesia - too risky due to her age and illnesses. Two weeks later we took her off the pred because it was increasing her glucose levels. I was stressed but I thought she’d stay in remission once the steroids left her system (I tested her a few times and the numbers looked good). I was wrong.

The past two weeks she was sleeping all day, wanted to be alone in my closet or under the bed, drinking and peeing a lot, looked weak and tired, and barely eating. Her personality was gone and she was no longer cuddling with me; something she has done everyday for the past 3 years. I had to syringe feed her for a few days. Took her to the vet and her glucose was 417. Oncologist told me to put her back on insulin so I went out and got a Lantus pen from Costco and gave her 0.25 unit last night and 0.25 unit this morning. I’m hoping she only needs it for a little while and goes into remission again soon. I feel awful that she was probably suffering for weeks with high blood sugar and I had no idea because I thought something else was wrong :(

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Priya.

Missy has a lot going on and you are doing a great job trying to everything.

It would be best if you post in the Main Health forum here – we have a number of people who are balancing multiple issues, including people who have/had to balance steroids and insulin.

It is fantastic that you are testing. If you could set up a spreadsheet, that would help tremendously. Here is the information you need for that. If you have problems, there are a few spreadsheet gurus who can help you.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Missy is absolutely gorgeous.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Priya and Missy. Missy is a lovely girl and you have a lot to deal with right now. I'm so glad you found FDMB to get much needed information and support from this caring community.

I suggest you visit the Lantus forum HERE and read the yellow tagged stickies at the top of the page. Lots of good information about the insulin. There are many members who post on that forum that can offer support and there are some very experienced long-time members that can advise as you go forward with diabetic treatment.

Wishing you and Missy the very best in all the days to come. :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.