Mometamax ear drops & Glucose changes?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Smokey, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey

Smokey Member

My Smokey has been OTJ for 6 months now! He was placed on Mometamax ear drops for Yeast inside his ears about 9 days ago (for 10 days). His blood always runs around 65-75 throughout the day. When I tested him today, he tested at 188!

Can anyone tell me if this medication could have an effect on blood glucose?

Thanks!!
    Denne' & Smokey - Florida

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  2. Rachel & Gus

Rachel & Gus Member

I had to put Gus on Tresaderm for a yeast infection in his ears and the vet warned me it would spike his BG because it has a steroid and she was right. It was so hard to keep giving it to him because of the rise in his blood glucose, but I had to get rid of the yeast infection. Once he was off the meds he was ok.

I'm not sure what ingredients Mometamax has in it. If there is any type of steroid though - it will spike the BGs.

3. Smokey

Smokey Member

My vet is out of town right now, but from what I'm reading it states it is a Corticosteriod. I'm guessing this may be in the same group?

4. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, steroid.

5. Rachel & Gus

Rachel & Gus Member

Definite steroid. You might also notice your kitty eating more and possible mood changes. There doesn't seem to be much alternative. My vet told me there is a non-steroid med, but it doesn't work very well on the yeast infections if I'm remembering correctly.

The up side is that it is a short time and then everything should return to normal. Yeast infections are so painful that I just had to grit my teeth through the high numbers and know that once it was over my cat would feel better.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If it is yeast only (no bacteria) then a fungal-only med like Conifite should work. It worked on my Twigie (GA). I at first used Animax, which contained a steroid and her BGs spiked.

7. Smokey

Smokey Member

Thank you all so much!! You all make me have hope!

I love my vet and he e-mailed me today saying that the ear drops were likely not the cause and that it was probably the stress of getting the drops in his ears.
    Only problem with that is Smokey really doesn't care when he gets his drops...so It was hard to believe that those drops didn't have anything to do with the BS rising! I now feel pretty confident that the Steorids do have something to do with this spike!

Now I wonder how long it stays in his system?

Denne' & Smokey
    Sunny Florida

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.