Mometamax

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bambinaki, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bambinaki

bambinaki Well-Known Member

Hello-
    Vet prescribed Mometamax for ear infection *and* a mysterious sore on the cat's face that won't heal (scabs over, scab falls off, cycle repeats). Any comments on use of Mometamax for either/both ailments?
    Thanks.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Some info:
    What is Mometamax?
    Mometamax treats inflammation and bacterial infections of the ear in dogs. It is a combination medication that contains a broad-spectrum antibiotic, a potent corticosteroid and an antifungal agent. Antibiotics are drugs that kill or stop the growth of bacteria. Antifungal medications kill or slow the growth of fungi and yeast. Corticosteroids are used to treat inflammation.

Who is it for?
    Mometamax is for dogs.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=14742

It is very similar to other ear products (antibiotic and steroid). It can raise BGs. The face problem could be many things. The Mometamax shouldn't hurt.

3. bambinaki

Thanks, Larry and Kitties.
    The Mometamax is for a cat with an ear infection and a mystery sore on his face. I know M. is meant for dogs, but some other vets also give it to cats, but I have not heard of it being used for anything but ear infections.
    Anyone have any thoughts on that?
    Or on what the sore could be? It seems to start to heal as it scabs over, then the scab falls off to reveal rawness, and this has happened many times and the size (area) of the sore is increasing.

4. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

I've got nothing on the Mometamax... questions about the face issues, though. Would you describe the spots as "crusty?" Does the spreading seem to be symmetrical at all? It could be pemphigus, which is an auto-immune condition in which the immune system goes wonky and starts attacking the "glue" that holds the outer layers of skin cells together. You would diagnose with a skin biopsy (which can provide you lots of answers as to what it is or isn't) and treatment traditionally has been steroids, but we have had great success with Willie on cyclosporine, an immune suppressant drug originally developed to prevent organ rejection in transplant patients. "Crusty" sores that spread in a symmetrical fashion are hallmarks of pemphigus, and the sores can appear anywhere, but are common on the paws, face, ears and the base of the tail. Willie's first presented on his belly and eventually affected his entire underside, his head, face, ears and front paws before we got him diagnosed and treated.

I'd recommend a skin biopsy if you can swing it. Even if it doesn't provide a specific diagnosis, it will quickly narrow the field of possible causes so you can better focus diagnosis/treatment options.

5. bambinaki

Thank you, C and W!

6. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Has the vet ruled out ringworm? I have seen some very atypical looking ringworm at the shelter.

7. bambinaki

L and M,
    2 vets have not ruled anything out or in. One thought it was a slow-growing cancer and suggested leaving it alone since it didn't seem to bother the cat, and the vet we took him to a few days ago said she didn't know what it was but suggested we try the Mometamax and later maybe do a biopsy or more. Doesn't ringworm spread? This has been just the one sore for a long time.

8. bambinaki

Re. pemphigus, Christie and Wille, his sore is a single sore and it is nearly perfectly round. Did your cat's crusts fall off and re-appear? If they fell off, was the skin underneath very raw and a bit bloody?

9. bambinaki

C and W, having done a couple hours of research, I think you're right: it's either pemphigus or discoid lupus erythematosis.
    Thanks!
    Any more input would be appreciated.

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

If the cat is diabetoc, the steroids in this product may affect the bg levels. So use with caution and extra testing. If the bgs go up you may want to discontinue and use something else.
    I know there is ver little non steroid ear treatment options.

But there are some depending on what the problem is -

Fr example if you need to do a good ear cleaning there are otic solutions as well as using oil - forget what type baby, castor, olive. And yes this remedy does work to clean gunk. And smother mites.

11. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

The belly sores would heal then creep outwards literally to where it was a line all the way around his body, whereas the ears/face would crust, fall off with red, sore skin underneath that would heal, but then could become crusty later. Thankfully his face was the last area to be affected, so we got the meds started soon thereafter.

I'd see if the vet would be willing to speed up the biopsy so that you can eliminate causes... especially if you are dealing with FD and the mometamax can interfere with regulation.

12. bambinaki

Christy, the face sores you described sound just like our kitty's.

Christy and Hillary, I'm glad to say this kitty is not diabetic. (I know most users of this board live with diabetic cats, and I used to, so that's how I know about the board, but it's also for general feline health questions, and the folks who use it are knowledgeable, so it's my go-to place.)

Thanks, all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.