more pancreatitis questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gwen and Morris, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Was finally able to pick up the bupe from the vet yesterday afternoon & began giving it to Morris last night. It says to give 0.2ml every 8-12 hours for 14 days. Should I give it for 14 days straight, or do I just give it until he seems better?

Round 2 of giving him SQ fluids at home went a lot smoother last night compared to the first time we did it on Saturday! I am giving him 250mls of fluids every other day right now. How long should I be doing that for? I have enough fluids at home for 1 more treatment (which we will give on Wed evening). The fluids were cheap enough (especially compared to some of the prices I have seen people quote on this website!), so I would not worry about picking up more supplies if people here think I should be continuing.

I am not having much luck with getting the Pepcid AC into him! He is not interested in the pill pocket at all! I have attempted to shove 1/4 pill into the back of his mouth & then hold his mouth closed for a moment or two.....but neither of us are impressed with that idea! Any other suggestions for getting it into him? Or should I just ask the vet for the injectable kind? (Does it inject just like insulin?)

Yesterday, he was eating more! YAY! I have not been home to check on him yet today to see if he is still eating well or not. I understand that feeding LC, but higher fat content is good for p'itis.....what brand of food would be best??

When my regular vet gets back to work later this week, I will ask her about the B12 shots. What kind of B12, what dose & how often should I give if she agrees to write the script for me? (Does it inject just like insulin?)

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

A lot of people use a pill popper to administer pills. One such one is:
    http://www.petshed.com/products/item3059.asp
    You may have to put it is a small portion of a pill pocked since the 1/4 tab is so small. Just make sure that you chase it with water.

I would administer the buprenes for a bout five days straight and then as needed basis.

The injectable Pepsid is administered like insulin. It does have to be refrigerated like insulin too.

See todays post on B12 injection for the amount and type.

3. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

I give Odie pills (including 1/4 of a Pepcid AC tablet) twice a day. I wrap him in a towel, like a cat burrito (think baby-swaddling), so that only his head is sticking out, open his mouth with one hand and put the tablet at the back of his mouth. I keep his head steady and kind of rub the back of his neck for a few seconds (some say to rub his throat gently), until I see him swallow once or twice.

It's a bit of an art form, after 14 months of doing it at least twice a day, I can wrap him quickly and relatively easily. He almost never spits out the pills anymore.

For bigger pills, I dip them in olive oil (although I don't know how this will affect diabetes stuff now)... I find that dipping the Pepcid doesn't help though because the 1/4 of a tablet is too small and sticks to my fingers when coated in olive oil.

Good luck!
    Odiesmom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.