Morgaine's BS down to 123, please answer?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by skybar22, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skybar22

skybar22 Well-Known Member

Morgaine's pre-meal BS was 123 after 4 days on only FF down from 292 at diagnosis on mon. 5/3/10 with no insulin given. So, if she is doing this well on diet only, how often is testing recommended? I know she still has diabetes and I know I will follow the feeding program we are now on and I am thrilled. But obviously things can change so what is the protocol in these cases? :mrgreen:

2. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

Most people here would test before eating [AM/PM].
    Then after two weeks of good numbers they test less often.
    Sounds good. :smile:

3. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

That's wonderful! Which varieties of FF are you giving her?

4. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

We like to test morning and evening as if we were giving shots and 3-4 hours after food to see if the pancreas brought the numbers down.
    How does that work for you?

5. skybar22

I have been feeding her FF Tender Bee and Tender Liver and Chicken. I have also been giving her a little bit of tuna as a treat after testing. I opened a can of tuna in water, not albacore, and divided it into 12 little packets and use a part of that for each test. I put all the packets in the freezer so they will last a while.

Dr. Lisa Pierson suggested that I do tests once a day for a while at different times and just see how she is doing because she hasn't had to go on insulin. I think it would be stressful for her if I tested her 4 times a day and I would if I saw an increase in her BS levels and certainly if she needed insulin injections. I will watch her carefully and see how often she will cooperate with me to do the tests but right now I am happy she is doing so well without injections.

I am open to all advice and suggestions because this is all so new to me. I know that for myself with type 1, I test before I eat anything and I take an insulin correction plus what I need for carb counting if I am higher than 120. I also always test 2-3 hours after eating and correct with insulin but that is the human protocol for tight control. I undertand the cat's metabolism is totally different and the insulin used in cats is not the short acting that I use in my pump. But if Morgaine has not yet needed injections and if her pancreas and liver are coming back to functioning with diet change alone, I want to do what is best for her. I guess I need to see what happens.

6. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Whooohooo - great! ANOTHER case of diet change alone working - everyone listening???? Give that diet a chance to work if BG levels are borderline.
    The diet change alone worked for me too. I don't test often anymore (although I probably should) but I do use the urine test strips about 3 times a week just to keep an eye on things. If that showed ANY glucose I would test every day. But after two years and dumping the dry - we are good!
    Good luck!!!!!!!

7. skybar22

So tonight I tested her 2 hours after her last feeding and she is 125. I am so encouraged. I am liking these numbers and feel like this is a miracle but I know it is all about her diet.

I would question whether her diagnosis number was due to stress except her urine was +3 for glucose and she was symptomatic with polyuria and polydipsia. She is no longer showing any symptoms. WHEW!!! I will keep testing and keep a close eye on her.

Thanks to all of you caring and well informed people. I LOVE it here. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.