Morris2

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Pati, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pati

Pati Member

2. Pati

Pati Member

+10 438

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It looks like Morris can qualify for membership in our bouncy kitties club. We have a number of members. The good news is that he had a nice amps and slowly dropped. But yes, he bounced up at +8. It is also possible that the insulin is not lasting past +8, but a bounce seems more likely. The other good news is that he flattened out for the next two hours, only coming up 38 points.

4. Pati

Pati Member

<I think you might consider a lower dose like 3.2 on a low yellow, 3.4 on a higher yellow and the higher dose on a
    pink?>

Stick with your suggestion - so 3.5u tonight?

5. Pati

Pati Member

PMPS 394

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Interesting that he surfed so long. Yes, 3.5 looks good to me.

7. Pati

Pati Member

Done. Thank you.

8. Pati

Pati Member

1/3/16
    AMPS 281 3.4u fur shot?
    +6 217
    PMPS 328 3.5u

1/4/16
    AMPS 294 3.4u
    +6.5 86 fed

IMG_1767.JPG
    Pretty cool huh? :)

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Great photo!

Pati likes this.
  10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

What a great picture!

Pati likes this.
  11. Pati

Pati Member

1/4 PMPS 407 3.5u
    1/5 AMPS 336 3.5u
    +5 180

12. Pati

Pati Member

PMPS 251 gave 3.2u
    That surprised me because he was so high at +5.

13. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The first part of the cycle could have been a bounce.

Pati likes this.
  14. Pati

Pati Member

AMPS 333 3.5u
    So either yesterday's PM 3.2u isn't enough or he went low in the night and bounced?

15. Kris & Teasel

I think he's still bouncing a bit from that green of 2 days ago and the blue yesterday. Hold the dose I think.

16. Pati

Pati Member

Ok. Thank you.

17. Pati

Pati Member

So I was being envious today of others' no shootable numbers.
    AMPS 333 3.5u
    +4.45 219
    +7 154
    Eats at +8 (usual)
    Insisted he had to have one of the dogs' just baked eggs at +10 (not usually fed then)
    PMPS 165 fed
    I should have stalled I guess but he really likes to eat on time. Ok he's training us but he is really cute.
    Suggestions how to proceed?

18. Kris & Teasel

He's been fed so I think the simplest thing for you to do is call this a no shot for tonight (pretend it was a fur shot) and resume the program tomorrow. Sound like a plan?

19. Pati

Pati Member

Ok. Thank you Kris. So you're just kindly saying I should have the done the stall 20 min, etc guidelines. :)

20. Kris & Teasel

Unless I missed seeing something, Pati, this is your first blue PS so you don't have enough data to be confident giving a dose at this number. As time goes on, you'll be able to decide more confidently how much to lower the dose for this level of PS if you don't want to stall. For now, stall and retest is the way to go. It's nice to see that blue PS for sure! :)

21. Pati

Pati Member

Thanks as always!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  22. Pati

Pati Member

AMPS 401 gave 3.4u instead of 3.5u because 3.5u gave me a non shootable number. Although 3.4 and fat 3.4 were not getting him low enough previously. Maybe it was the magic egg (with turmeric, ginger, oregano, basil, and pepper) at +10 yesterday. :)

23. Kris & Teasel

Welcome to the dance, Pati! :) These tense situations get easier to cope with over time and they give us good data. That magic egg sounds tasty BTW ...

24. Pati

Pati Member

I'm just channeling my inner Kris. Always calm and positive. You get lots of practice with Teasel.
    20 dozen every other week. :)

25. Pati

Pati Member

AMPS 401 (no shot previous PM) gave 3.4u
    +3 374
    +6 259
    PMPS 291 gave 3.4u

Probably could have given him 3.5u this am.

26. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Just keep telling yourself that you are collecting data. He dropped over 100 points on 3.4. Let's see what it does to your 291.

Some cats do well with a sliding scale - a different dose depending on the preshot. Some do better holding a consistent dose for several cycles (unless the number is too low). More data will help you see which approach Morris prefers.

27. Pati

Pati Member

Yes. I am still going by what you told me. I just wasn't sure about this am after the no shot last night. I think we're making progress.

<I think you might consider a lower dose like 3.2 on a low yellow, 3.4 on a higher yellow and the higher dose on a pink?>

Thank you Sue.

28. Sue and Oliver (GA)

He is really looking pretty good. Not dropping super low but staying in lower ranges and dropping some overall. A nice steady, slow approach. I think you are both doing great!

Pati likes this.
  29. Pati

Pati Member

AMPS 379 gave 3.5u
    I have a bad feeling I should be getting up in the night to check how low he is going.

30. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That would give you good info. If you are a woman of a certain age, you might be up anyway? If not, you may have to set the alarm. Even one night should give you an idea.

31. Pati

Pati Member

I will check tonight. Thanks.
    AMPS 379
    +5.75 210
    +8 196

32. Pati

Pati Member

PM +6 312!
    AMPS 355 3.5u

33. Sue and Oliver (GA)

He is still a little higher than he could be. The blues and yellows are nice but they could be lower. What do you think about increasing the dose on the higher pinks - maybe a fat 3.5. (To do a fat dose, pull up more than 3.5 and then let out a few drops until you are just above 3.5.). I would do it on a cycle I could monitor.

34. Pati

Pati Member

Ok. Would that be a 3.6 using U100 (conversion chart 9u) or less than that?
    +4 193
    +6 122

35. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sorry, missed your post. Yes, 3.6 should be fine

36. Pati

Pati Member

Thank you Sue.
    PMPS 346 gave skinny 3.6

Sue and Oliver (GA) likes this.
  37. Pati

Pati Member

1/10 AMPS 383 gave 3.6u
    +4 180
    +6 88 1 spoonful 2pm food
    +8 127 rest of usual 2pm food
    PMPS 330 gave 3.6u
    +5 290
    1/11 AMPS 237 gave 3.2u

38. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That was a drop! Interesting that the same dose on a similar number gave you a much higher nadir. I'd assume a bit of a bounce overnight. I like the am dose.

One thing you might consider during the day is to use food to slow that initial drop, hopefully flattening out the cycle a little. So feed maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of the food at amps and then give him the rest around +2.5/3. Might be worth a try to avoid the faster drop and then bounce.

39. Pati

Pati Member

Ok. Thank you. Will move to +2.5/3 in future.

+3.25 276 Fed 1/3 equivalent of AM meal

40. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That'll work most effectively if he drops early. Course you don't know if he is going to until it happens. Maybe if you see a consistent pattern of an early drop?

41. Pati

Pati Member

Ok. Thank you.

42. Pati

Pati Member

AMPS 237 fed gave 3.2u
    +3.25 276 fed
    +5 licked mixing bowls (his regular diet)
    +6 267 fed
    +8 255
    PMPS 357 gave 3.6u

43. Kris & Teasel

Can you get a test before bed? He gave you a green when you gave this dose on 01/10.

44. Pati

Pati Member

Sorry, didn't get one last night.
    AMPS 357 gave 3.6u
    Almost at the end of the bottle. Thinking of using the bottle before this one that got accidentally shook one time. I was thinking at the time it had lost it's effectiveness because I got better numbers on the new bottle the next day. Now I wonder if that was coincidence since I get different numbers all the time now. I'm hesitant to have the sitter use the new bottle.

45. Kris & Teasel

I only start a new bottle when I can monitor just in case it's more potent. I'm not sure what to say about the bottle that was shaken.

46. Pati

Pati Member

Thanks Kris.

47. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I agree to be around the first cycle when you switch bottles. With some cats it seems to make little difference, but with others, it can mean an unexpected drop.

48. Pati

Pati Member

Thank you Sue.
    Today is a bust BG wise I think.
    AMPS 357. Gave 3.6u
    +3 330 so I didn't feed him
    Took him to the vet and they fed him way too many Pet Tabs. He was a very good boy. No one got bit or scratched. :) He has come such a long way in 3 months. I was so proud of him. We are going to try one more medicine to try to treat his eye. We all agree he appears to have no discomfort. New med $$$$ but still worth a try. He of course doesn't feel sorry for himself that he has very limited vision if any in that eye. (Why I need animals in my life. To remind me to not feel sorry for myself. :) His ears he thinks is allergy. Jinx for talking about food allergies to someone on FDMB. Could be something besides food of course. Going to increase Lysine to 500mg BID to see if that helps with his herpes.

49. Pati

Pati Member

PMPS 59 FS strip 331 AT strip gave 3.6u
    That would have been some magic Pet Tabs.

50. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

How's the new mad for his eye? I agree that would have been some magic...good job getting that second test when you knew something was up!

51. Pati

Pati Member

Thanks Rachel. The med has to be compounded. I get it Monday. Something like every 5 minutes for 30 min then 3x a day after that. Don't know the name of it yet. It will be good if it saves his eye but it might take a village to get the med in his eye.

+6.5 306
    AMPS 301 gave 3.6u

52. Kris & Teasel

You might need the kitty burrito technique. How is Morris in general for being handled, poked, prodded, etc.?

53. Kris & Teasel

What seems to be the problem with Morris's eye? Old injury from his days before you adopted him? Will the meds be in drops or ointment? Will he need a cone to keep him from rubbing the meds out of his eye? Sorry for all the questions ...

54. Pati

Pati Member

Yes his eye was like this when we got him. They called it scarring. His cornea may be too far gone. Had initial ointment which he fought tooth and nail. Friend vet ophthalmologist switched med. Now going to try this one that is being compounded. Won't know name until it is ready Monday.

He is getting better about being handled but I've just now got him to let me touch around his eyes and mouth. He likes his ears rubbed so I just travel briefly out of that zone and then back to his ears. A work in progress.

Yep wrap in a towel. :)

+3 fed 1 spoon
    +5 260

Can't update SS until Sun eve.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  55. Pati

Pati Member

Some good things happening I think the last few days. Yellows PS and then a really big bounce. He was only being tested AMPS, +5, and PMPS. He did get +3 food each day and +3 night. Today at +5 he was 181 and I was told he was hungry and irritable. He got a small spoon of his regular food at +6, +7, and then his usual +8. At PMPS he was 264. I am wondering if he was dropping too low thus the big bounce Sat night Sun am. Then we had a dosage communication error and he was given 3.5u at PMPS tonight instead of 3.2u. At +2 he is 360. Morris is really talking tonight. I guess telling us all about his weekend. He's washing his favorite dog's face. Sure wish I wasn't setting my alarm for tonight. :)

56. Kris & Teasel

I almost always see a food spike if I test at +2 or +3 so I don't usually bother wasting a test strip at those times. I sometimes do a + 4 but mostly +5 because it's a convenient time for me.

57. Pati

Pati Member

Ok. Thank you.

58. Pati

Pati Member

+5 402
    AMPS 396 3.6u

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  59. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Those bounces can be discouraging, Patti. But if you squint and look at your spreadsheet, there are some lovely blues and greens in the middle of cycle and some yellow preshots. The only logic we can offer is they bounce until their bodies decide those greens and blues aren't scary numbers and they quit releasing the extra glucose that causes the bounce. The nice thing about Morris is that he doesn't bounce for several cycles. He seems to bounce for the next preshot and then drops again.

Keep on keeping on. You are doing fine!

60. Pati

Pati Member

The yellow preshots are coming more often. That is progress. Thanks Sue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.