? Moving in the right direction, but still need some advice

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by SpotsMom, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

With the recent pancreatitis diagnosis and finally getting some treatment, Spot has been in some really good numbers the past few days, but it always messes with me a little bit when I see a sudden leap to the reds. My gut is that he might have gone a little low last night and today's AMPS of 405 is a bounce.

I'm thinking about leaving the AM shot at 1.25u but reducing the PM shot to 1 or a fat 1u. However, that 405 may be a little food influenced, as he was eating his new YA Zero food when I woke up this morning.. not sure yet how much that will bump his numbers.. that's really low carb, so shouldn't affect it much, right? Any thoughts on this? Should I hold for another day to see what tomorrow brings?

I do worry about him going too low at night, but sometimes I feel like I'm jumping at shadows when I reduce and then end up right back where I started again because he just needed time to settle in..... maybe this is just Spot's Revenge for me poking him with the giant SubQ fluids needle every day now :banghead:

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That red is likely a bounce. Overall he's doing great and I wouldn't change anything dose-wise. :)

SpotsMom likes this.
  3. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Thank you! Every time I see a red I feel like something went wrong and needs to change NOW.... but it helps to hear this :)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Well everything I said this morning is completely out the window... vet gave him a bupe injection this morning that is supposed to work for 3 days. Now he’s completely off his food and walking around like a high zombie. The only thing he’ll even sniff at is the high carb emergency food, and even that is just a lick and walk away. I’m so frustrated right now. I’m the one who asked my vet to give him bupe to make him feel better and it just made him worse. He was definitely better off without this!!! :arghh::arghh::arghh:
    On the plus side he’s not even putting up a little fight when I try to force feed him so at least he’s getting something to eat.... just not on his own. Uuuuuuuggghhhh...........

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh no! I think Djamila's Sam had a reaction like that to bupe once. The oral version is apparently less potent...and several people here give a half dose and a full one can leave their kitties in a zombie-like state. Tigress reacts to bupe fine, but she's apparently the exception.

How's Spot feeling this morning?

6. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

He does have his appetite back this morning, thank goodness! He slept in front of his food bowl last night (definitely not normal!) and finished off the high carb stuff I left out for him overnight. Still acting high as a kite and his eyes are huge but at least he ate... I definitely don’t like seeing him like this. My vet said she stopped carrying oral bupe because the duration was too short.. but I think that’s exactly what Spot needs. I’m going to talk to her and see if she can get some for next time....

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Teasel's sister had a dental last Thursday and was given oral bupe for use at home. I knew that Teasel was a zombie in the past when I gave him a full oral dose of bupe so I halved her dose right from the start. It seemed to help her enough without making her too spacey. She only needed three doses post surgery.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    SpotsMom likes this.
  8. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, Sam had a bad response to injectable bupe too. He stayed awake for over 30 hours. He didn't do the wandering/restless thing - he just sat in one place and stared with giant dilated eyes until it finally wore off and he slept for nearly an entire day after that. There is a big warning on his file to never give him that again. He does fine on the oral bupe, but I give him a very small dose. I hope Spot feels better soon!

SpotsMom likes this.
  9. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So glad he ate! I wouldn’t worry too much...as Kris and Djamila have said that bupe can cause those issues! I know how you feel...I hate seeing my kitties act strange on a med! I’d definitely tell your vet you want oral bupe and explain how he acted with injectable. The not eating should be enough for the bet given he’s diabetic. Besides what if you needed it in a weekend or something?? It’s crazy that they would expect you to bring him in for that. My vet is 30 min away and Tigress reliably vomits twice (because once just isn’t enough) on the way there. I couldn’t put her and me through that often. I’d run out of towels if nothing else!!

SpotsMom, Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  10. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

He jumps every time I make a noise, and I don't think he's actually slept since he had the shot, but he does seem more settled. He's just watching the world go by outside the window. Looking like he wants to pounce haha. I can understand a higher dose like this if he was post-surgery or something, but the dose was way too much for what we needed.

@Rachel Fortunately my vet is right up the street, since I've taken him in 3 times in the past week. The first 2 times he was so sick he didn't even talk to me on the way, just laid there... normally he's so vocal and paces his cage the whole way. And as you said, they are not open on weekends, so I had to wait til Monday to call about the bupe, and Tuesday to get in for the shot, when I could have just done the oral at home when he needed it over the weekend.. sighhh.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.