Mr. Big Eyes low BG. How to handle later today?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kathy and Mr. B.E., May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Mr. B.E.

Kathy and Mr. B.E. Member

Hello,

Mr. Big Eyes seemed normal this morning, but when I tested, I got BG 62. I doubted accuracy of test, so did it again and got 60. I tried to feed K/D, but he doesn't like it anymore, so gave him his regular food which he snarfed down.

I waited an hour to test again and got 83 before I left him to come to work. Also my brother checked him a about 90 minutes later and said he'd eaten most of food I left and seemed fine.

Of course I gave no insulin this morning. I'm wondering how to proceed tonight at the next time for insulin. Assuming he's come back up over 200 do you think I should I give a smaller amount of insulin like 1.25U?

Thanks,

Kathy

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Seems to be the morning for low pre-shots! He'll likely be high tonight. The dose is tricky though: 1.5 wasn't enough. 1.75 gave you a long cycle. I'm inclined to think that sticking with 1.75 would be your best approach, but it is a little hard to say with certainty. Will you be around this evening and tomorrow morning to keep an eye on things?

3. Kathy and Mr. B.E.

Thanks. I will be around this evening, but need to be at work in the morning so if it happened again I wouldn't be able to stay until I was sure it was coming up.

Assuming he's back up this evening maybe I'll try a "strong" 1.5U (really hard to judge even with the 1/2 marks on the U40 syringes.) I may eventually get some U100s and convert, but I'm so tired sometimes in the morning and at the end of the day I got the U40s with 1/2 marks because I was afraid I'd get mixed up and make a mistake converting.:(.

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I totally understand about the conversion. I was pretty nervous when I finally switched too! Once you figure it out though, you can figure out what it looks like on the u100 while you're awake, and then I wrote it on a sticky note and put it on the syringe container so I could just remind myself in the mornings. :coffee:

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

When/if you do convert, I suggest hiding your u40s from yourself and posting the conversion chart on the fridge to refer to. :) That way, you won't be able to use the wrong ones and the conversion will be right there!

6. Kathy and Mr. B.E.

Yes! I would definitely do that! I've got quite a few syringes now, but when I need more I may switch.

Rachel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.