"Muffin" may be surrendered

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN), Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN) Member

An email I got last night from the Montgomery County MD SPCA:

2. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping that someone in that area can help her. I'd really hate to see Muffin put down since we all know that she can have a wonderful quality of life like our own diabetic babies. I'm sending tons, and tons of prayers for anyone to come forward to help care and love this little baby like we all do with ours.

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

PS, just so you know, I have invited Muffin's owner to join us here.

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

If they have a script or can get a script for Levemir, I'll donate a couple of Lev pens to help with costs.

5. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Venita, Did you ever have a chance to obtain any pictures of Muffin? My heart breaks when I hear of these cats that the owner/s have to give up.

6. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Hi, sorry I've been MIA. Bronchitis. Better now.

Muffin's family appears willing to try to work on keeping her. It's a complicated situation so surrender prevention may not work, but I will keep my fingers and toes crossed. I do not have a picture of Muffin.

I have, of course, continued to recommend that Muffin's family visit the FDMB, and they could be lurking.

7. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

This story unfortunately keeps repeating over and over again with this economic situation. It reminds me of Simon. Has anyone from DCIN had any direct contact with Muffin's owner? Keep us updated . I just wamt to be sure the owner is willling to work with you before I make a donation.

8. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

There are some very tough stories due to the economic conditions. Thankfully, the SPCA contacted me (that is the shelter where Currier is) and I was able to contact the Bean and talk about options.

I have had a few lengthy email conversations with the Bean. I don't think this surrender prevention (if it turns out that way) will require much in the way of financial resources. I am working with the Bean to try to get hometesting in place; that will offset the cost of the vet-based curves. The issue at present is that the owning Bean has placed Muffin with family members (due to the Bean's move into a home with a dog), so it is the family members who would have to take on the home testing. There are other family members in Utah willing to take Muffin if there is a possibility/probability that Muffin could go into remission. Hence the recommendation for hometesting. You can't see the need (or lack of need) for insulin without hometesting. Also a recommendation to get Muffin off dry food.

The family members in Utah also expressed interest in finding a local FD mentor "who could educate and help them in taking care of her." If anyone knows anyone with experience in Salt Lake City, please let me know. Muffin is on a PZI insulin.

Whenever I email the Bean, I do provide a link to the FDMB and encourage visiting and joining the site.

And talking about Simon, he is getting his dental tomorrow. He's been doing well on Lantus; his SS is here. That's the SS I keep when alipuffs sends his numbers. (She can't get into Google docs.) Alipuffs says he is much more active since he has started Lantus and the wet food. He's down to .5U Lantus BID.

9. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

Any updates on Muffin? I hope you are either able to help Muffin's Mom keep him or get kitty a new forever home :) !

10. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

I sent a follow-up email to touch base. I hope I haven't "lost" the bean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.