Murphy - End of Two Weeks

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by msmurphy2010, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Well, we did start testing at home earlier this week because I think the advice is validated by all of you. I noticed that Murphy started sliding back to the ravenous, thirsty kitty, getting on top of my bed in the early morning, pawing my face for food. Last night, she was getting frosty paws again, so her glucose curve is scheduled for tomorrow because it is increasing from what it had been. She does not take lightly to the home testing, that's for sure. I think I'm looking at all the things that can be symptoms of an increase in glucose, including the frosty paws. If there is something I am missing, could someone let me know.

L and K

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Increased water consumption, increased urine output, decrease in condition of coat, lethargy, etc., are all signs. I have never heard of frosty toes, that sounds circulatory to me.

I understand you have difficulties testing but

A. A vet curve might not be totally valid if she is stressed
    B. Testing at home tells you if it is safe to shoot at shot time

Can we help with testing?

3. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

I think for most of us, testing at home was difficult at first. I know I was scared to death, and Donovan was nervous and uncooperative initially. Now it takes probably less than 30 seconds and most of the time he's asleep and barely wakes up when I test him. Be patient with yourself and Murphy. It takes some time, but it will be worth it. Let us know what's happening and we can help you through it.

MJ&Donovan

4. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Well, believe me, if she can take the Aerokat for her asthma with inhaled meds, she can do this too, although she knew she needed the Aerokat, with the pins and needles, she doesn't understand, and for some reason, she is starting to have more symptomatic asthma issues, I am not sure if it is because of the insulin or not. Her breathing is very raspy.

Frosty paws is not circulatory. It is because the cat's glucose/sugar seeps through the paws creating an almost like super glue and when they use the litter box, the litter sticks to the paws and will not come off!!!!

I'm learning the signs slowly.

5. Jen & Squeak

Um....I've no idea what you are talking about. Sugar does not seep out of the skin. Glucose is in the blood and in the urine, and cats who urinate a lot may have wet paws that collect litter.

6. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Oh, no it does seep through the paws. I only know now what it is because I consulted with Cornell this a.m., because Murphy's situation is somewhat different with her suppressed immunity, thus the consult with Cornell. We got to talking about the kitty litter being almost glued to the paws, and that's when they told me it is called "Frosty Paws," and I confirmed it with Murphy's vet.

7. Jen & Squeak

Ok, I've been here since 2002 and have NEVER heard of this, but now you have me curious!

8. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

I have seen it called "frosty paws*" but we usually call it "cement booties". It is a result of the cat peeing so much that her feet get wet and the clumping litter sticks to her paws. I have never seen- and cannot find (even on the Cornell site)- any literature that suggests sugar is seeping from the paws. I think that may have been a simple misunderstanding.

* http://hubpages.com/hub/Feline-Diabetes

9. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Yes, you are correct. I mistated last night and it was backwards. What I meant to say is that because of the glucose in the urine in the litter box, the sugar from the urine causes the litter to stick like glue to the paws, especially if they are hock, which in Murphy's case, she is hock in all fours. It is like cement, and Cornell stated it was something to the effect of a "super glue," adhering to the paws.

10. Jen & Squeak

Whew! I was really questioning myself there :lol:

11. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Glad that's cleared up. I also in 5 years of dealing with diabetic cats had never heard of sugar seeping through the paws. I was so curious, I subscribed to this topic to see how it turned out.

12. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Yes, do an internet search for demodex cati, or d. cati (the mite that reacts from FIV, feline leukemia and diabetes in cats). It's very rare and uncommon and Cornell is mystified by it. For some reason, each of three diseases, if not caught (or treated in my case) can case immune suppression that leads to this little viper!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.