MURPHY'S MONDAY MORNING

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by msmurphy2010, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Well, Murphy woke me up this a.m., rubbing her little white furry paw on my cheek, wanting breakfast, and as I was getting up, she started to throw up a little bit of foam. I had to feed her -- thought it might be empty stomach. We're trying to gauge towards 12 hour feedings, but I think it's a little much for her right now, but on the other hand, I can't leave dry food out during the day because it's just going to keep her hyper-g. I don't think it would be from the pancreatitis - her PLI went down so much, from like 25 to 5.7 last week. But, that's the other disease I don't know much about. I hope that there's nothing else going on. I tried to prick her little ear this a.m., and I just can't get it right.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

it's not in murphy's best interest to only feed twice a day.
    please try to get in at least a third meal, especially since you are shooting 2u's and not currently testing.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

do you live in so. cal? I thought you mentioned that once. it would be so easy for one of us to get out there and show you how it's done.

4. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

I talked to Murphy's vet today, she's so wonderful, she doesn't want me changing her diet, whatsoever, until further notice. And, she can stay on the Purina OM rather than adjust a dietary change that might affect her adversely. Matter of fact, before Purina came out with DM, OM was used for diabetic felines.

On another note, I think I was really screwing up the ear testing thingy. I printed out some information on this website, wow, what a vast amount of information -- and, I think it hurts her too much to prick the outer edge of her ear vein, so we are doing the top of the ear, and tonight, it worked! 290 b/f din-din. I'll check in another hour before I go to bed, but she appears to be doing fine. I'm guessing, according to her vet, that this is just going to take some adjusting, and I have to stop stressing out. The ear thing was driving me crazy and I was getting so upset, and I kept trying, and well, today, I am down to about 10 OTU strips and I just bought them on Saturday! Poor girl, I was just messing with her little ears so much, and it hurt her, I know.

Then, she was flinching on the injection sites, so my vet told me to give at the scruff of her neck, and she didn't feel a thing.

So, a little progress today, and the PLI numbers have went down dramatically, which is a really good thing.

This is way different than feline asthma. I can hear that, with this, well, this take a totally different spin on things. She's a very patient little baby girl, and I'm so proud of her for all the beatings she takes with meds, injections, etc. I just love her and want to save her and hope she will be a happy kitty once again, which I haven't seen in a long time.

Does anyone have information on B12 methylcobolomin? Her neuropathy is still bothering her, and we started B12 injections, but I know I take it, and I have neuropathy from a damaged thoracic nerve from surgery last year, and it truly does help. If so, is there any significant research on this?

So, tonight -- well I feel better, and I think she does too. Amazing how they pick up on our stress and feelings.

Lisa

5. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

You really need to get in another feeding or two somehow.....it's very risky not having food to back up that insulin.

The two best things you can do right now for Murphy is learning to test and a diet change. You are doing great on the testing and you'll get the hang of it in no time.

I love my vet to death and I had to prove to him that a good quality, low carb food made a HUGE difference in the sugar levels...WD and DM was his first choice and all we did was increase the insuling to compensate for the carbs. His insulin dose dropped by half with a good diet.

Methyl B12 cured Houdini's neuropathy along with getting his BG's down of course. I don't know if there is any scientific data to back this up but many here have had a high success rate. This is another thing that I had to prove to my vet with Houdini and another patient of his that was completely unable to walk from FD induced neuropathy......hind legs splayed out to the side and in 3 months and he was running and jumping again!

6. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

We discussed another feeding and since she can't go all day, I will have to leave some dry out, plus I've got Oscie to contend with and his struvite problem. What I meant about dietary change is that we are keeping things as they were prior to the Dx. She's too fragile right now.

I take MB12 10,000 mcg per day (at night). I think I ready that MB12 5000 mcg is okay for kitties. Do you know what dosage? It sure has helped me tremendously.

Hey, if I conquered feline asthma with her, and she has been event free for over two years, we WILL get a handle on this. And, with Oscie, my siamese, he's been struvite free for over 10 years now thanks to Purina Veterinary Diets. I know them quite well, and they are terrific at consultations. As for now, the diet stays the same, two wet meals a.m. and p.m., and some dry during the day so she doesn't get sick or nauseated.

:)

7. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

I used methyl B12 in tablet form 3mg divided into two doses crumbled and mixed with food.

All you have to do is look at the indgredients on the vet diets..........

8. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

I use Superior Source "No-Shot B-12" because there are no additives, just straight B12, microlingual, and it sure does help me. I get mine from lexorhealth.com. I was thinking I would start w/ 1000 mcg (1 mg) for her and see how she does. That way, it's a safe dosage.

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

If you are feeding wet other than during the day when you leave out dry, you can certainly freeze the wet and put it out for her. Then she can graze on it as it melts. (Much better for her than the dry.) We use a silicone muffin pan, fill it up and freeze, then pop them out and put them in a plastic bag in the freezer for the future.

10. msmurphy2010

msmurphy2010 Member

Freezing the food is a very good idea to get them both off the dry kibbles and when I talk to Murphy's vet tonight, I'll see what she has to say about it.

Darn it -- tested 1/2 hour before dinner and she's at 309. Seems like she is just hovering at the 300s. I hope this gets better. This morning was better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.