My cat and her freakishly bloodless ears

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lynn & Prudence, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynn & Prudence

Lynn & Prudence Member

I have tried for five days to get blood from my cat's ears and only succeeded twice.Warmed them up, tried them with lancer and without. Her ears look like little pin cushions. She is catching on and even with a treat she squirms away. She won't let me near her paws with it. I'm going to give it a few days and try again. Can I possibly be the only one who is having this problem? So many sweet people on here have helped me, guided me and assured me, but am I the only one who can't get a dang blasted drop of blood?!!! Her ears are extremely thin, could that be the problem? She pulls her paw right out of my hand when I take it to shoot.

d.eileen.d and Julia Rae like this.
  2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Lynn the ears have to "learn" how to bleed. Keep trying, it will happen.

3. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

Lynn first you are not the only one with that happening and big hugs your doing great. I have had the most success using Magellan's paws as his ears where just too fussy. You might want to try wrapping in a towel making a kitty burrito or kitty bondage both work. Magellan no longer needs to be bundled and no longer runs and hides from me they do learn it is for their good.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Are you using large diameter lancets? Like 27-27 gauge? Not the thin or ultra thin ones. The larger diameter ones are typically identified as for alternate sites (other than finger tips)for humans.
    Also, are you firmly backing up the ear behind where you are poking? I use a cotton cosmetic pad. Some use cotton balls but those may not be firm enough and thus the ear may deflect more than be penetrated.
    Some cats are easier to tst than other. I have had little problem with getting blood fro the 16 diabetic cats I have had so far. My patches II seems to be the worse but I still can get blood every time.

5. Lynn & Prudence

Lynn & Prudence Member

I'm using Relion ultra thin lancets. I tried using just my finger to back up the ear and it actually went through her ear and into my finger. Then I lowered the "length" and it still didn't work. I've used everything to back up those little ears of hers. Cotton balls and warm, dry washcloths to name a couple. I've gotten so much wonderful advice from this site, and I just wondered if it was completely abnormal to get NO BLOOD WHATSOEVER. lol Twice I got nice drops, but only twice.

6. Lynn & Prudence

Lynn & Prudence Member

I'd cocoon her, but that's how we get her into her carrier for vet visits and she hates to be wrapped up in anything because of it. She really is one smart cookie.

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Try larger diameter lancets, not thin or ultra thin ones.

8. Nederland

Nederland Member

The ultrathin won't give blood. Use 27 or 28 gauge lancets, that will work a lot better.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

My vet tech used an almost depleted roll of tape behind the ear for support. Personally I found it clumsy but it might work for you. When I first started testing I used the plastic top off an old film canister for support.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I use a piece of folded up paper towel for support. Because it's folded, you can give fairly firm support to the ear with it, with no risk of stabbing your own finger! I would definitely go with bigger lancets though - the ultra thin are almost impossible to get blood with to begin with. If you look for lancets labeled 'for alternate site use', those are the bigger ones and are the most likely to get you a good result.

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Lynn & Prudence

Lynn & Prudence Member

I never thought of getting bigger lancets! Wow. Good advice. I will check those out tomorrow. I have the ultra thin ones. Her poor little ears, though. I hope those won't hurt. Thanks for all your help, everyone.

12. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

What gauge are the one you have Lynn? I have the 30 gauge utlra thins.put a cottonball or some cushion behind the site you are going to prick so it doesnt get your finger

Attached Files:

13. Lynn & Prudence

Lynn & Prudence Member

I'm using the Relion 30 gauge ultra thins, too.

14. MrWorfMen's Mom

Our kitties have very few nerve endings in their ears so they don't notice the difference with the bigger lancets. Believe me, your fingers are far more sensitive than Prudence's ear. To her it's like a mosquito bite. To you it's more like a paper cut! :)

Critter Mom and manxcat419 like this.
  15. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

I'm not sure why those aren't working. As long as I prick the sweet spot and I mean just touch the top my cat bleeds.

16. Lynn & Prudence

Lynn & Prudence Member

That's what I mean. I have tried everything to get them to bleed. I think I've ruined her. She hears or sees me grab my little glucose case and treats and she takes off. I touch her ears and she wiggles away. I tried again this morning. I even managed to get her wrapped in a small blanket. I lanced her ears several times, holding the cotton ball. I see where it goes in, but no blood. I squeeze gently, still no blood. She then scratched the heck out of me. I will admit to feelings of defeat and discouragement. She sits, right next to me, licking away, happy as a little clam. The vet wants to see her next week. I'll have to wait and see her glucose levels then.

17. Lynn & Prudence

Lynn & Prudence Member

Oddly enough, she's terrified of tin foil, too. Go figure.

Critter Mom likes this.
  18. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Just take your meter and supplies to the vet and have them try. Don't get discouraged.

19. Lynn & Prudence

Lynn & Prudence Member

I will. Thank you.

20. MrWorfMen's Mom

This may be a silly question, but are you poking on the outside or inside of her pinnae? Black cats can be a bit problematic as far as seeing a tiny bead of blood. Poke on the inside of the pinnae where there is less fur and try putting a very thin skim of Vaseline/polysporin on the sweet spot before poking. This helps to get the blood to bead up. Some cats ears just bleed better than others but with time they all improve as they grow more capillaries. I'd definitely try larger lancets as it can make a world of difference if you have a cat that doesn't bleed well in the beginning.

21. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

If you've been able to use those from the start, then your cat must be a natural 'bleeder'. Most people can't get those to work at all, especially to begin with. It took me months to be able to switch to the smaller lancets with Rosa, though her twin does bleed easier and I've been able to use the ultra-thin on her from the start - she's had no chance to learn to bleed as I've only tested her 4 or 5 times in total.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  22. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Lynn I could not get a single drop from Cooters ear earlier with the 30 gauge, went back to walmart and picked up the larger lancets, eureka! Personally I am not going to be using the lancing device, tried it for a few minutes and finally just did it with the lancet, worked the first poke :) Hope the larger ones solve your problem!

23. Lynn & Prudence

Lynn & Prudence Member

You know the saying, "Can't get blood from a turnip." It has a whole knew meaning to me. Bought the larger lancet. It was the same thing. No luck. I will try again with just the lancet and no lancing device. Oh geez Louise.

Sarah Smith likes this.
  24. Lynn & Prudence

Lynn & Prudence Member

ps. I'm renaming Prudence. Her new name is Turnip Ears.

Critter Mom and Sarah Smith like this.
  25. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Wishing you luck! I wound up taking it from his paw pad earlier today, even got a big enough drop with the 30g lancet. Hope it works out soon :banghead:

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.