My Cat Deserves Better

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jen&Rem, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen&Rem

Jen&Rem New Member

Hi,

Remi (4 years old) just got diagnosed with diabetes. He had an extreme case of feline triad disease this summer which I believe led to his current condition. Poor Remi just got out of intensive care in June needing a feeding tube and IV drip to restore him. Since then, he's up to a normal healthy weight with a great love for playtime. When I noticed him draining his kitty water fountain and peeing A LOT, I brought him back to the vet quickly and here we are.

He's only been with me a few months. When I first heard the news, my main concern was money. I've put a lot of time and effort into bettering his health from the start. His misadventures in June were easy for me because the shelter covered his pre-existing costs. This time is different. Unfortunately, I make very little money and hardly make rent at the end of each month. I spent $200 last week just for diagnosis, $40 for vet-approved diabetic dry food, and they're saying his first insulin kit will be another $350. I've already spent two months worth of rent & utilities this month because we're moving into a new place next weekend.

I'm scared. I can't afford any of these expenses and I'm diving into debt to make it happen. I'm scared that I will have to give up Remi. Not that I'm giving up on him, but that I simply can't be the one to help him when my money is so tight. I love him so much. This news has been very hard on me. I feel like if Remi had a sponsor, I could move forward with his treatments w/out worrying about a thing. Like the old commercials about sponsoring a child in Africa. "X amount of money a month will save Remi's life and get you 100 cat pictures of him doing well," you know?

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to you both. I am sorry Remi has not been well.
    I am going to tag @Chris & China as she can tell you about ways to save on costs.
    There are many people here who are on a strick budget and they will be able to tell you ways to lower the cost.
    You don’t need the special diabetic dry food. Low carb canned food such as Fancy feast pates and Friskies are much better and cheaper. Tell the vet your cat won’t eat the dry and you will get your money back.
    Don’t buy the insulin kit yet. Talk to Chris first and she will be able to tell you where to buy the insulin cheaper.
    Hang in there. We can help and support you through this.

3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

There is always a better way of doing anything. Some imagination, compassion and your own research helps as well as the people here who are more than willing to help. Most of us have been where you are right now. One of the hardest things is putting your faith in a bunch of internet strangers when someone in a labcoat with multiple degrees says otherwise.
    We'll get into details later but for now;
    You don't need over priced vet-approved diabetic dry food.
    The $200 you spent on a diagnosis had to be done but now it's over.
    What constitutes an "insulin kit" that costs $350? You don't absolutely have to buy a cat meter, that's one thing. You will need syringes and lancets but not from your vet, this is Walmart stuff. We all use different types of insulin, each has it's own benefits and some are cheaper than others. Almost all can be found somewhere at a lower price.
    You don't have to feel as though you're practicing discount medical care, none of us have money to burn. We're happy to have you here, you'll never be shamed, there's no such thing as a stupid question, we all laugh and cry together. Gather your thoughts, take a deep breath and know you're in a good place.
    I'm Dickson, that's one of our cats Nigel. Welcome to the club. :bighug: :)

4. Jen&Rem

Jen&Rem New Member

Thank you. I've spent a few hours researching today. I don't know yet what kind of insulin he needs until the vet briefs me tomorrow. @Noah & me (GA) , I have no idea what comes in the kit until I arrive for my appointment. Only the cost was given to me and I haven't paid for it yet.

I'm seeing a lot of Walmart solutions for medical supplies which is making me feel better.

Is it true that Fancy Feast classic pate counts as diabetic food? Remi used this exact wet food to get back on his feet last time. I'm sure he won't mind a permanent switch back to this. What if my vet highly disagrees with this food alternative?

5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I've had two diabetic cats who both ate Fancy Feast. A cat has to eat at certain times and if he wants something stinky and cheap that's generally okay. I still get the odd dirty look at the market, "Oh I never feed my cat that awful food" but they're not dealing with a diabetic cat. It's no fun arguing with a doctor but he runs a business. Our vet is a close friend but that's rare, most vets are quoting from a textbook and feline diabetes is a one day lecture at most colleges. Explain to your vet again that you want what's best but you are entitled to ask about alternatives. There is no shame in this, too many people just give up and get a "new" cat. You don't have to be belligerent, just be informed and don't be intimidated. It's too long of a story but we've had 14 cats and 2 dogs in this house and I've seen all kinds of over priced and un-needed procedures, food, everything.
    That insulin kit can't be any kind of special order that you can't back out of. The only things I bought from our vet were prescription meds and insulin.
    Sorry, I'm doing this in a big rush. This doesn't have to be complicated or a tragedy. Good luck tomorrow.

6. Jen&Rem

Jen&Rem New Member

Thank you

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you need help with insulin and testing supplies, please contact me by Private message. Just click on my name and choose "start conversation"

I'm a case manager for Diabetic Cats In Need and we help low income caregivers keep their kitties at HOME....where they are loved and cared for!!

8. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Friskies Patés are probably the cheapest cat food that are low in carbs. Ask your vet if you can return the dry prescription food . Dry prescription food unfortunately has more carbs than Friskies or fancy feast Patés . Friskies is cheapest. That’s is what we recommend for those folks who are on a tight budget.

Hope this helps. And be sure to contact @Chris & China . :bighug:

Bellasmom likes this.
  9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes!!….You can also use Friskies pate's or even Special Kitty pate's from WalMart (even cheaper)

First of all, take the dry back and tell them he won't eat it. It's guaranteed (even if it's opened). You can use the money to buy some testing supplies or other foods!

Most of us have had to deal with vets who don't know what they're doing. To a certain extent, you don't owe them any explanation....if your cat won't eat their "prescription" garbage, you're going to feed your cat something they'll eat. If they don't like it, may be time to find a new vet.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  10. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

What Chris means is, some vets are not as knowledgeable about the carbohydrate content of non-prescription food. They are busy with their practice and don’t often have time to research carbohydrate content of all the foods on the market!

However, since you have come to a website of cat enthusiasts, we happen to have a vet who calculated carbohydrate content for most cat wet food out there! Check out Dr. Pierson’s chart on top of the Main Forum posts, and feel free to share it with your vet!!

Here is the link to her post: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-pierson-new-food-chart.174147/

11. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jen & Remi, welcome! I think it would be a good idea to carry your questions to the Main Health forum, so that we can share our experiences with good, reliable and cost saving glucose meters, strips and supplies. Most of us use a human meter because it's less expensive and so are the strips. We can help you learn to test, and give you some pointers about how to use and store the insulin. My DH & I are seniors, and have to watch pennies also. I wish I had found the board before we purchased the food at the vet (which we returned), the vial of insulin, and a pet meter and strips. Here is a link to the Main forum: MAIN
    This forum is mainly to say "hello" and not as many members monitor, so we want as many members as possible to meet you and Remi, and provide some additional info.
    I know Chris will help as much as she can in regard to DCIN, and you will find that others have many cost savings tips that will help you. Plus, we all love our furbabies too, we know how you feel, and it's a very supportive community.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.