My cat has diabetes, but no insulin as of yet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Paw Paw, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paw Paw

Paw Paw New Member

My Vet told me five days ago that he has diabetes. I notice weight loss and not eating the last few months. Never did I put two and two together with diabetes. He was 23 pounds during the winter, he is a big cat, and is now down to 16 1/2 pounds. This Monday got him in and did the blood work and so on, and found out his glucose was 400, but should be 100. My Vet said that he might not have to do insulin by changing what he eats. He's on a high protein, no carb diet, using Sheba whitefish and tuna. I worry about protein, fat and carbs, Sheba will not let this information out. Does anyone out there have a good wet food for a diabetes in cats?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the FDMB!! This is the best place you never wanted to be if you have a sugarcat!!

Here's a Full Food Chart that lists a lot of the foods available in the US and their breakdown. You want to keep it under 10% carbs (Column C)

The Sheba isn't on it because the makers of Sheba refuse to release the information, but their Pate's are low carb

The thing I'd worry about with the Whitefish & Tuna is that we don't recommend feeding fish flavors more than about once a week due to the problems with mercury in the fish. Also, fish is very addicting and it can cause your kitty to want to ONLY eat fish

Would love to know your name and your "extra sweet" kitty's name too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.