My cat is displaying odd symptoms

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CaitlinGreene, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaitlinGreene

CaitlinGreene New Member

hello, I was advised to post on this board by a friend, any help is greatly appreciated.

my cat was recently taken to the emergancy bet with symptoms of stumbling, disorientation, drooling, and rapid side to side eye movement. He was examined but by the time the vet got to him the symptoms had passed. She cited a likely ideopathic vestibular incident and we went home. This was last Sunday, now today he is exhibiting the same symptoms. I videotapped him during the episode so I can show the vet exactly what happened but what could be causing this? He is a 4-5 yr old likely Maine Coon male who has been neutered. I found him abbandoned aprox. 2 years ago and to this point he has been healthy. He is an indoor cat and I have no evidnece that he has gotten into any cleaning chemicals or other things he shouldn't eat.

thank yu so much

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

It does sound like ideopathic vestibular but at the same time, being a Maine Coon, it also might be heart related. If possible and affordable, I would have a cardiologist do a blood pressure reading, and echocardiogram and ekg. Maine Coons are known for having hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Usually with vestibular they can present like that but they also can have a head tilt, lose balance, and it takes a while to settle down and disappear. Some cats will be left with a head tilt to a degree. Mine that have had it have never had it start, stop and start again. It starts and with time eventually goes away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.