My cat just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bruin, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruin

Bruin New Member

Hello,

I have stumbled upon this forum and after reading many posts, it seems to be a helpful and caring place for " parents " of cats with diabetes.
    My 12 year old cat, Bruin, was just diagnosed Saturday with Feline diabetes. I am devestated and scared. I start insulin treatments on Wednesday and it seems very overwhelming and complicated. I would do anything for Bruin. Any words or thoughts as I embark on this?

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I just want to say that everyone on this site knows what you are feeling right now. It IS scary and overwhelming, but you will soon master this like a pro, and won't think anything of it. I'm sure others will be by soon, with a lot more information on testing, feeding, insulin information then what I can give you, but I just wanted to say HI and let you know you aren't alone!

3. Bruin

Bruin New Member

Thank you so much. It is comforting to know there are people out there who care and who are going through this as well. I appreciate your reply....

4. PeterDevonMocha

Do you know what type of insulin your vet will be giving to your kitty? Also, what kind of food are you feeding your kitty? I am sure by now on this site you have noticed that we strongly recommend wet cat food (low carb) and home testing.

A lot of cat's that are recently diagnosed and go with the human insulin Lantus (prescription only, at local pharmacies, wal mart, rite aid, wal greens, etc.) do very well with it.

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

I realize that a diagnosis of feline diabetes is scary and overwhelming, but I just want to let you know that it is very managable with diet and insulin. You have found a great place to help you through the process.

Can you tell us more about Bruin? Do you know what insulin you will be giving him and what dose? Some good insulins are Lantus, Levemir, PZI and ProZinc. Please start at a low dose - either 1/2 to 1 unit twice a day. It only takes a tiny amount of insulin to affect the glucose levels and we always recommend "Start low & slow".

Also what are you feeding him?

On this site, you will find information about insulin, diet and hometesting. I don't know if your vet discussed hometesting with you, but it is something we highly recommend to help you manage your cat's blood glucose levels. Please consider learning this as soon as possible. It is not difficult to learn and you can use any human glucose meter. The benefits are 1) help you manage your cat's glucose levels, 2) help determine if the dosage is working, 3) greatly reduce the chance of your cat becoming hypoglycemic and 4) reduce the cost of unnecessary trips to the vet just for testing.

I realize that you may be overwhelmed by all of the information on this site. Don't feel that you have to try to learn everything at once. This is a learning process, but one that can be accomplished in a short amount of time. At any time you have any questions, no matter what the question may be, please feel free to ask. As you said we are caring parents for our cats and we are always happy to help someone new through this process.

Lisa

6. Bruin

Bruin New Member

I am not sure what the Vet will start me with. I go Wednesday to get the insulin, learn how to give the shots, and pick up the syringes. I have read quite a bit on here about home testing and it is something I am very willing to do. It makes sense to test at home and monitor - especially now.

Bruin is on a diet of dry IAMS. She has been on a free diet ( she has been eating when she wants ) all her life. The vet did say that I should start a schedule with her but did say that she could stay on the IAMS. Now after reading up on this site, I am not sure what to do. I have another cat ( her sister ) who is healthy and they have never been seperated when eating or on seperate schedules. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this so Tigger doesn't invade Bruin's food or diet?

I have many questions for my vet and I like him alot. I just didn't realize the depth of all of this until now though. I want to do the right thing.

7. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Since you have until Wednesday before you see the vet that gives you lots of time to read up on diet and other aspects of this disease. Here is a good place to start - Dr. Lisa has been helping out on this site for around five years, volunteering her time to educate cat owners on proper nutrition, especially for diabetics:

http://www.catinfo.org/felinediabetes.htm

You will get lots of info from people here that will help you. You and your kitty will be fine.

8. Bruin

Bruin New Member

Thank you all so much ! I am so touched the way people are responding. I am so glad I found this site ! I will check out the site....

9. PeterDevonMocha

also, if you do decide to go the route with wet, low carb cat food, there is nothing wrong with your non diabetic (civvie) cat eating it either. It is much healthier for her anyways. I have two cats that were always free fed dry (and don't feel bad about this because I'm sure 80% of us all did that) and we made the switch over to wet cat food. Unfortunately my civvie cannot eat wet cat food, she gets mouth sores, but they do understand whose food is whos'. Of course, when they eat we stand guard to make sure mocha does not get into twix's dry kibble. It raises her numbers up and out of this world, even from just a few pieces! But they still eat together so not much has changed in that department. Your kitties will get used to eating on a schedule ... in fact, small mini meals are very good for diabetic cats as it helps their pancreas out. I hope this isn't all over whelming for you. I know it's a lot to take in!

Where are you located at? Sometimes it's nice if you are nearby someone, they can come and help you out the first time or two, to make sure you got the home testing down pat ... if that is something you are interested in!

10. Lisa211

Lisa211 New Member

Just wanted to say hello and wish you well....my 13 year old cat Cujo was also diagnosed on Saturday and the last three days have been such a roller coaster of emotions. Gave my first shot tonight and was pleasantly surprised how straight forward it was.

11. jeanene and chase

jeanene and chase Member

Hi and welcome! It seems like a lot at first, but after a short time, it becomes simple to just go through your routine. This place is great and you're right, the people do care about you and your cat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.