My cat won't eat tonight - help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cheri123, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheri123

Cheri123 New Member

I am new to the Board. My cat won't eat her food tonight. I give her the insulin after she eats but she only ate bout 1/4 of her food so I am afraid to give her the insulin she is suppose to get. She ate fine this morning and is acting fine. She did not want treats either but did eat about 1/4 of a piece of cheese. Do you think I should give her part of her insulin or just wait and do it in the morning at her regular time.

2. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

Can you test her BG level? I’m new here also but I know that’s going to be asked. Find out where she is if you can. I give Gretchen’s shot as she eats too and one night she hardly ate any after I got it in her

3. Cheri123

Cheri123 New Member

Yes we just got her checked her BG was 431.

4. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

Ok, that will help one of the more experienced people answer. I feel I am way to new at this to give advice :)
    When I gave Gretchen her shot when she wouldn’t eat it didn’t hurt her...but I have Young Again dry kibble out for free feed and she may have eaten...

5. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

what insulin are you using? if it is a long lasting insulin like lantus and levimur (i am unfamiliar with the others) at a high bg like 431, i personally would still give injection as scheduled even if didn't eat but, leave food out for her.. HOWEVER, when you say you just got her checked, do you mean that was what VET tested her at or it is what you tested her BG at with a home meter tonight?? if from VET than disregard my comment and follow your vet's advice until you can start home testing her BG before her injections.

6. Cheri123

Cheri123 New Member

We give her vetsulin 12 hours apart at 8:30am and 8:30 pm.. We just checked her BG at home with our own testing supplies.

Sylvie likes this.
  7. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

8. Cheri123

Cheri123 New Member

Thanks I am reading the info about vetsulin now.

9. Cheri123

Cheri123 New Member

We have decided not to give her any insulin tonight. If she does not eat her breakfast in the morning as usual then we will check the BG and if it is high still we will give her just a small dose and then monitor the BG to see what it does.

Thanks!

10. Cheri123

Cheri123 New Member

Just wanted to follow up, this morning our cat ate just like nothing had been wrong and was given her shot. :) Boy how they can worry us when they do things like this.

Sharon14 and Sylvie like this.
  11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

In the future with a bg that high I would have shot even if she ate less then usual.

Is great that you are home testing. Would you mind seeing up a spreadsheet like the ones you see in our signatures? It will help with future dosing questions.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

12. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Also setting up a signature would be helpful so we don't have to ask you the same questions repeatedly.

Click on your name at the top right corner and choose signature. Add info such as your pets name, date diagnosed, insulin type and dose, food you're feeding, meter you use, and any other health concerns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.