My civie has a heart murmur

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tim & Chris, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim & Chris

Tim & Chris Member

Hi,

Haven't posted in several months because my computer has been down. Was just wondering what special care Amy may
    need. Took her to the vet 2 weeks ago and the vet found heart murmur. Her blood work all came back good. She had a senior profile. She needs an electrocardiogram. I just managed to come up with the money to pay for it so I will be doing that soon.
    Is this necessarily serious or will she just need special care?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

A lot of murmurs are benign and cause no problems. They are usually graded on a scale of I through VI. Are you getting an electrocardiogram (electrical leads attached to body) and electrical signals graphed) and/or echocardiogram (looking at heart via ultrasound).

Here is a link on murmurs

edited to add link.

3. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

As Larry said, a lot of murmurs don't cause problems at all; my Gwyn was diagnosed with one when she was four months old and she lived 20 years. But I understand that other types/grades of murmurs may be more problematic, so getting it checked out would be a good thing when you can afford it.

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Make sure blood pressure is checked also.

5. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi

Unless your cat has an irregular heartbeat, if you have to choose between echocardiogram (sonogram of the heart) or an electrocardiogram (EKG, a tracing on paper of the heartbeat), go for the echo. This will tell you definitively what is causing the murmur.

6. Tim & Chris

Tim & Chris Member

Thanks so much for your input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.