My first day

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by shellbell, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shellbell

shellbell New Member

My Jersey was just diagnosed with Diabetes. The vet said his fasting blood sugar is well over 400 :( I'm giving him his first insulin shot tonight. 3 units, so the dosage is light, but I'm still scared. I'm really glad there are others here to talk to about all of this.. I practiced with sterile water at the vets office today, but I'm just freaking about doing the real thing on my own tonight... nailbite_smile

2. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Welcome to our FDMB family and be patient with yourself. You sound like you really love your cats, so you have come to the perfect place. Get some chocolate, sit back and get ready to read. Also, remember Every Cat Is Different. (ECID) Also, remember opinions may vary sometimes on this board, so you may get different views. Unfortunately, that is human nature.

Sorry this is very long, but there is a lot to say! Also, remember we were ALL newbies once and are feeling just like you are right now! OK……..breathe……….

What kind of insulin are you giving? 3u is kinda high to start with? Others will be along with their opinions?

You do not need any type of prescription food or “special” diabetic food. Janet & Binky’s chart is on the top of this page! Low carb is best for diabetics. I try to stay around 10% or under. I feed Whiskas, 9-Lives and mostly Friskies. Diabetes is very treatable and does not cost as much as you would think. If you are giving a high dose of insulin and feeding dry, be careful with switching to canned food. You MUST reduce the insulin at the same time you switch to canned food.

Please create a profile if you have not already done so. It will help us to help you. We need to know what kind of insulin you are on, what needles you are using (U-40 or U-100), what are you feeding, how much insulin you are giving and when, BG test results, etc. There are many people on this board from all over the world, so it will be helpful to know what area and time zone you are in.

Remember that your cat is YOUR cat, and YOU are paying your VET to help you take care of him; diabetes was probably a day or two worth of notes when the vet was in college; it is probably NOT a day-to-day existence with his own cat trying to maintain a quality of life. Sorry to say, but I would have overdosed my guys on insulin if I followed my vet's advice. Vets, unfortunately are not as knowledgeable as they should be on diabetes.

Sometimes, as I did, you have to take a leap of faith and trust these people on this board who deal with diabetes day in and day out. Trust me. You will not be disappointed. OK………..breathe again……….get some chocolate……..

Also, please realize that it takes insulin about a week to settle. START LOW AND GO SLOW!! The usual starting dose is 1u twice a day for at least a week. You have to be patient, as I also had to learn!! Do not adjust the dose upwards based on one test. Don’t freak out based on one test result. As long as the levels stay on the high side, keep the same dose twice a day for at least the initial week period and you should see improvements. When you have some time (hee hee), read my profile.

If you are not hometesting already, you really need to start!! Hometesting is VERY important. Think of it as a human diabetic does. *If it were you or a child of yours, you'd be testing blood glucose levels at home prior to each shot; you'd be working with your doctor to determine a proper dose based on those shot results, correct?* Some vets do not agree with hometesting and I cannot for the life of me understand why. Most vets, sadly are not knowledgeable enough in feline diabetes. Insulin is a VERY powerful drug and you NEED to hometest before giving a shot. This is very important. The vet would rather have you bring the cat to them, stress it out more, which may spike the levels anyway and then they can charge you $$. Hometesting saved me a lot of money and it is VERY important for you personally to know the cat’s levels and how it is reacting to the insulin before you shoot so you do not pass up your ideal dosage.

Thanks to everyone's help here I learned to home test 2 cats and they both got off insulin within 3 weeks with diet change…but of course, they reacting both DIFFERENTLY with the process. If I can do it with 2 cats twice a day (and more on curve days), ANYONE can do it. It does NOT hurt them as much as you think it does. It just stings for a moment and then it is gone, you can try it on yourself. Also, put pressure on the ear after poking and it should minimize the nub. They won't mind it once they start feeling better. I use the True Track meter (CVS or Walgreens brand) which I love. And, the strips are also reasonable. Also, remember to give them a treat after the test. Here is a link to a member videos on hometesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ6iXetR398

I would not feed DRY food if at all possible. Of course, it is better than nothing – you MUST get them to eat if you are giving insulin, but if there is any chance, get them off the dry. I took my guys off dry and within a month they were off insulin. Again, remember that switching from dry to wet can cause a drop in blood sugars, so you MUST reduce insulin at the same time to make sure you are not giving too much insulin. I truly believe also that I saved some of my many others from developing diabetes. I also saved so, so much money changing them all to regular canned cat food.

When Blackie and Jackie got diagnosed, I was afraid to start shots. The people on this board made me realize it was no big deal. (They went on PZI insulin around 3-25-06 and went off on 4-18-06! Please also realize that diet plays a BIG, BIG part in insulin needs. I switched my cats off dry food to all wet and I was never so happy. It was a challenge to try to regulate 2 cats at once.

Welcome to the Sugar Dance.
    Welcome to the Vampire Club.

If I can do it, ANYONE can!!!
    It does get easier. Trust us.

You need to test BEFORE you shoot. It usually goes: Test, Feed, Shoot

There's a saying something like "better the sugar level is too high for a day than too low for a minute".

3. shellbell

shellbell New Member

Thank you for your reply. The Insulin is Lantus Insulin. The vet said it was such a small amount it wouldn't even affect him???

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

PLEASE don't give the insulin yet. Unless there are some other health problems, 3 units is a large dose to start with. We urge people to start low and go slow (usually .5 or 1 unit) One of the reasons your vet may be starting so high is that he may have gotten high numbers. But we are often concerned that kitties are stressed at the vet, and stress raises bg levels. Basing dosages on those numbers is dangerous.

5. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Welcome.

I'm working now so I can't write a detailed response, but wanted to let you know that 3 units of Lantus might be considered a high starting dose. I'm not sure why your vet thought it was a light dose.

I'm not trying to scare you but you need to be aware of what to do in case you see symptoms of hypoglycemia.

Please read Melissa's post on how to treat Hypoglycemia.
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1637

Best,
    Pam & Layla

6. shellbell

shellbell New Member

Do you think the dosage is high because he weighs 15.5lbs? Would that have an effect on anything?

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

No. Weight is considered in dogs, but not cats. There are many cats here at that weight who started at a low dosage.

The issue is you are treading on scary ground if the dose is too high. There are few downsides to starting low.

8. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Many vets do believe it should be based on weight, but no, it should not be based on weight. Cats do not metabolize insulin the same as dogs do.

9. shellbell

shellbell New Member

Ok now I'm freaking out..

Should I call him and ask him?

He said the insulin won't start working for a week or so,so I didn't need to worry about him reacting to it and that I need to bring him back in 10 days to have him monitored all day.

10. ceil99

ceil99 Member

what are you feeding him? dry or wet?

Sorry, hun, but I think your vet is very misinformed. The insulin is a very powerful drug and he can react very quickly to it :(

11. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Cats are not dosed by weight.

If you start at too high a dose, you could go right past the ideal dose and get into a serious
    situation known as 'rebound'....won't go into that just now.

The safe and usual starting dose of any insulin for cats is 1unit 2x per day.

The insulin will take a while to 'settle' and for your kitty's body to learn to utilize this new
    and wonderful resource.

You might see improvement within 4-7 days. The best way to know if the dose
    needs adjusting (up or down), is BG testing at home.

Good time to progress towards home testing. Then you can really tell what is going
    on. And based upon your home tests, you can raise the dose gradually, if warranted.

By gradually, I mean .5 to 1u raise in the dose.

Most cats are regulated on 1-3 units 2x/day.

Tests at the vet are often off, because the cat is stressed and the BG readings there
    will be higher than in the cat's home environment.

12. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I don't want to freak you out. But I am concerned. You gave the insulin, right? Did you copy off the hypo info that Pam gave you? Do that and watch him for any unusual signs - like odd noises, or sleepiness or extreme hunger. There are a list of the symptoms on Pam's list.

If I were you, I would go get a glucometer. (Or do you have a diabetic friend who might let you borrow theirs?0 Walmart sells a good cheap one called ReliOn. We can take you through the steps. If you have blood glucose numbers tonight, you can see what the insulin is doing. If he goes too low, you will have ways to counteract it.

Your vet felt 3 units was okay. I don't think he will change his mind tonight. It's going to be up to you to keep him safe. We do know about insulin and diabetic cats and we can help you. Lots of people are on line and have experience.

13. shellbell

shellbell New Member

He told me to give him 3 units every 12 hours...

Ohmigosh.. I'm so confused and scared now. I don't want to do anything wrong.

I feed him wet and dry... Kind of a soup thing he likes.. LOL

14. shellbell

shellbell New Member

No, I haven't given him anything yet.. I'm supposed to start tonight.

Is there any harm in giving him 1.5 units instead? Can something bad happen with that?

15. Sue and Oliver (GA)

So glad to hear you haven't given a dose yet. Why don't you take some time and read through the Lantus information on the Insulin Support Group forum. That will give you lots of good information. Read the FAQ's on the site. It is alot of information to absorb, but I am afraid that you will need to become the expert here, not your vet. Ask lots of questions. You can decide for yourself how much insulin to start with. Your vet isn't expecting you to check in for a week or so. By then, you could be hometesting and have lots of data to take back to him.

Often people come here with advice from the vet that is not the best. I know it is hard to take our advice over the vet, but we have a great rate of success. And lots of us have educated our vets on insulin dosages and hometesting. My vet started us on a high dose. Luckily we were hometesting and could adjust fast. My vet wasn't sure about my hometesting, but now refers people to us for help.

Edited to reply to the 1.5 If I were you, I would start with 1 unit at the most. And I would learn how to hometest now. But, as I said, do some reading first. Not giving a shot tonight would not be awful. Educate yourself first so that you are confident in what you are doing.

16. shellbell

shellbell New Member

17. ceil99

ceil99 Member

is lantus u-40 or u-100?

18. shellbell

shellbell New Member

Im not sure, I'm just looking at the prescription and it says "lantus insulin 10ml bottle give 3 units Bid"

19. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I think Ceil and I both are PZI users. I will ask some Lantus users to come over and give you information on it, specifically.

20. ceil99

ceil99 Member

I read the lantus info and i think it is u-100

21. shellbell

shellbell New Member

Thank you so much! Were you guys all a mess like this in the beginning?? I'm sitting here shaking...

22. shellbell

shellbell New Member

Is that good? What does that mean?

23. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Lantus is a U-100 insulin (100 units of insulin per ml of liquid).

You should be using insulin syringes 'for U-100 insulin'.

You can get insulin syringes at any pharmacy....don't have to purchase them from the
    vet. Cheaper at pharmacy.

A unit is a unit, the world around. So no confusion there.

Hope you give only 1unit at most tonight.

24. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Just to mention....put this on a list of things to address later.

Next time you buy Lantus, ask your vet to write a prescription
    for the cartridges or pens, rather than the 10ml vial.

You will not come anywhere close to using all of the 10ml vial before
    it 'goes bad' after opening. You will be tossing out a lot of expensive
    insulin.

The cartridges or pens are cheaper in the long run.

Ask a Lantus user for more information.

25. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Absolutely! No one on this forum wasn't a basket case when they got the diagnosis and for weeks afterward. Our vet was on Christmas break and no one in the office wanted to give us diabetic advice. We came here and the people on this forum literally save Oliver's life.

The best way to get calm is to read and read. And print out what you have read so you can read it again. It's a steep learning curve but you can do it. And we can help you.

26. shellbell

shellbell New Member

You have no idea how much I appreciate this board ( or maybe you do) I came back from the vets - googled feline diabetes and you were the first place that came up.. and I'm so glad!

27. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Lantus is u100. How a cat responds is going to be different depending on the cat, but there are problems with starting with that high a dose in that 1) you are possibly going right past what your cats optimal dose and cause various problems as earlier stated and 1) some cats are super sensitive and may respond right away with a big drop. We've seen that with a couple of cats on lantus. I'm wondering how your vet decided on that particular dose. If your kitty is a dry food eater, I'd guess he may end up on a higher dose, but in general, the lantus protocol is to start at 1 unit twice a day. Now, here is the thing, you really need to test a cats blood with a meter (any human glucometer with sipping strips will work) to know what is going on. The insulins lantus and levemir *tend* to gradually bring a cat's numbers down, but most of us who have used it have seen improvements pretty quickly, even if the numbers haven't come down yet. Most people increase that dose very slowly, as close to .25 units as you can eyeball.

You are probably feeling really overwhelmed right now, but that is normal. If you can get a hold of your vet, you can say "I'm just more comfortable starting with 1 unit and working up. Do you think we can do that?" After all, you are the one treating the cat, at home with the cat and who would have to deal with any adverse situation that might happen if the dose is too high. For the vet to say "it wouldn't affect him" is, I suspect, an attempt to keep you from being too anxious but any amount of insulin could affect him. It just depends. The only way you are going to know though is by testing. I hope you feel up to trying that! It may seem overwhelming at first, but it's one sure way to make you feel more comfortable and less anxious.

28. ceil99

ceil99 Member

oh my goodness, yes, I was most definitely a big mess of confusion and totally afraid. I had 2 cats at once diagnosed and boy, were they different. bcatrun_gif

One of my boys almost hypo'd the first nite. Went from 422 down to the 40's with 2u - HIS FIRST SHOT - and my other boy was ok with 2u. So, they really kept me on my toes!! :lol:

29. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

hi and welcome.

he didn't develop diabetes overnight and you can't cure it with one shot so take a deep breath, get your wits about you and yes, lets get you some lantus people before you give that shot ok. you don't have to jump in guns a blazing and worry about that shot getting done right away. you can take a little bit and talk to some people here and do some reading if you'd like so you feel more comfortable with all this ok. breathe :smile:

30. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

My hands shook for a week, and I didn't even think I was really that freaked out. (I try to be matter of fact about everything) Ha! It's ok. We were all like that in the beginning.

31. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Okay, now that you are not so freaked out, I am going to nag you about hometesting again. (I'm a mother, I nag....) If you want, you can post your city and state. Maybe we have someone who lives nearby and could come help you out the first time.

32. shellbell

shellbell New Member

Thank you so much for you advice. The vet seemed really confident in this dosage, which had me really confident until I came here.. LOL. I asked him what signs I should watch for and he said nothing, at this low dosage there is no chance of him going hypoglycemic or anything, and that there was nothing to watch for. I'm not trying to discredit him - he has always been bang on in treating my cats, so I'm just really confused now, reading all of this.

33. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Oo. Well, I'm sure that he means well - means to soothe you, but it's just a bad idea to say there is "no chance". He *did* at least explain to you what hypoglycemia might look like and how to treat it, yes? I'm sure chances are that no, it wouldn't provoke it, but it's always *possible*.

34. shellbell

shellbell New Member

Im in British Columbia Canada.. I think I'm on my own.. LOL

35. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi there, if ur in Canada u can pick up syringes at any Walmart or pharmacy like Shoppers Drug Mart.

You'll want to get 3/10cc's 1/2 unit markings 31 gauge approximately
    go to a pharmacy and ask for them...BD is one brand that most use here.
    The packaging is a light purple/pink colour, 10 in a bag. Approximately $4

You're not on ur own, we have some members in BC as a matter of fact!

36. shellbell

shellbell New Member

I think I'm going to wait, and not give him his first shot tonight. I really need to know more about this stuff.. and I dont' want to mess him up ~ he is my best friend and I want this to be as smooth as possible for him.

37. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I don't know. We have quite a few people in Canada. Let me go looking. Where exactly? I know we have a couple people in Vancouver.

38. Ronnie & Luna

Relion is not available in Canada...ur best bet is the ONE TOUCH MINI meter, when u buy a meter, u usually get the strips with it,,however ur really only paying for the strips which are about $75 - $80 for a box of 100

39. Ronnie & Luna

Victoria is over in BC she might be around the board tonight

40. Sue and Oliver (GA)

And Sweetgrass is in Victoria.

41. Ronnie & Luna

huh? lol

sorry that was kinda cute!

Anyway, yes, there are members around BC!

42. shellbell

shellbell New Member

I'm in Kelowna, it's in the Okanagan.

I can not thank you all enough for all of your help.

43. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Tell us about Jersey

How old is he? she?

What kind of cat?

When did you get him? her?

44. shellbell

shellbell New Member

Honestly, he told me I don't have to worry about it until after the 10 day followup when he dosage is regulated...

45. shellbell

shellbell New Member

Jersey is my dogcat... LOL. He is just like a dog. Comes when he is called, and is all over me, all the time. My other cat is a typical cat ~ everything on her terms.. but not my Jersey... haha.

I'm not sure of his age, he literally followed me home 11ish years ago, and at that time the vet thought he might be around 3 but couldn't be certain. I don't even know what type he is other than black and white LOL

46. Sue and Oliver (GA)

47. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Another person in BC is Blackie; look for Team Blackie - they are in Coquitlam.
    In your profile, you can put your whereabouts in Location.

I am thinking that if your vet said 3u is just fine as a starting dose for Jersey, I would be concerned. That dose is too high to start, but I am sure others have already mentioned why it's too high.

For sure you need to be home testing so that you know your Jersey's BG before giving the shot.

Your vet said Jersey will be regulated in 10 days? I must be missing something because nobody can predict when a kitty will be regulated. My shadoe has been on Lantus for awhile and is nowhere near being regulated.

With the food, get rid of the dry food right away as it is not good for kitty's numbers. Just by taking the dry food away from Jersey you will see better numbers. The method used to treat food to dry it is bad.

48. shellbell

shellbell New Member

sorry.. regulated was the wrong word. He has to go in for 24 hours and get monitored regularly to watch his levels.. I'm all over the board here... ugh..LOL

49. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Just to add to Gayle's info - do not change from dry to wet if giving insulin without hometesting. Wet lo carb food can really bring down bg levels fast, and you would need to be hometesting to know that you should alter dosage.

Hey, we don't expect you to learn everything the first night. We give you a day or two..... :mrgreen:

Another plug for hometesting. You won't need to take Jersey in for a day to have the vet check his levels. You will already have a spreadsheet with your numbers. Saves money and keeps the kitty happy.

50. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

And to add to me LOL when I first got Shadoe's dx, I was like UGH! Too much info! I can't get it all straight!

Yeah, you can; just take it slow because it's not a race so postponing that first shot till you are ready and able to test before and have read all the stickies with info about Lantus, is OK.

I have to tell you that the vial you got, that big huge hulking 10ml vial will lose its punch way before you get halfway through it. Those big vials are for humans who consume more insulin I believe. Nobody had told me that the life expectancy for that vial or any other cartridge of Lantus is about 28 days. After that point, it is doing nothing. How do I know this? Because it happened to me.

I was using this big vial for Shadoe's shots and then her numbers stopped progressing. People asked me how old my vial was and I had gone way past that 28days, so to be sure, I went to Shoppers Drugmart (I am in Toronto) and got a package of 5 cartridges - each of them are 3ml so the other 4 cartridges are fine being kept unopened in the frig, and only that 3ml cartridge that I am using will be good for 28 days or so.
    Anyways, the very first shot I gave Shadoe from that new cartridge lowered her numbers, so I confirmed that my big 10ml vial had expired or rather stopped working.

Take your time, get your spreadsheet all set up, read all the stickies on Lantus, have caro syrup and everything needed on hand in case Jersey goes too low, and have your meter for hometesting handy with lots of strips.

And Sue is right about the switch from dry to wet; you could see a huge improvement just from cutting out all the carbs from Jersey's diet.
    Again, I know firsthand that the dry makes a big difference because I have another cat who eats only dry food. Early one, Shadoe got some of the dry food and her numbers shot way high. That's when I was forced to cover up all the dry food when I was away and it made a big difference in Shadoe's numbers.

51. shellbell

shellbell New Member

I'm not ignoring the hometesting stuff.. I promise.. just trying to absorb all of this at once... It's an awful lot to take in..

52. Sue and Oliver (GA)

No problem. We will wait. Keep asking questions, keep reading. This is an international board; someone is on 24/7 to help.

53. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Maybe we should change the name to

The INTERNATIONAL FDMB????

Good idea?

54. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Hi and welcome.

I am here in Victoria :) I am Sweetgrass, otherwise known as Kimmee.

it looks like you are trying to form a plan you can feel comfortable with while you learn more on your crash course to Feline diabetes.
    If I may add to what has been said, perhaps a goals list is a good start.

Since your sweeter than sweet furry is not yet on insulin, now is a great time to change the diet to wet food, lower carb.

so first off, while you are reading through the faqs..http://www.felinediabetes.com/fdmb-faq.htm

1 -change diet to low carb before starting insulin. more info here... http://www.catinfo.org/
    we gave fancy feast grilled chicken feast ( no gravies ) and tuna
    ketone testing during this quick changeover is important, you don;t want to hold off insulin if ketones are present at all

then, learn how to hometest, we used an ascencia contour, and were very happy with it..

2 -hometest ( you have been given those inks yes )
    ideally hometesting and diet change will happen at same time so you can note the difference from "before" change to "after" change

3 -second opinion?
    your vet sounds a little outdated in his thinking, perhaps calling around and seeing if there is a feline specialist with experience with feine diabetes may be the next step? if not, lots of vets are open to learning and hey, he did give you lantus...yay... so read and educate yourself and then share stuff, as gently as you can.

4 -insulin
    Should the levels remain higher than normal, ( normal is about 60-120 ) or as we read in Canada 4-7 then a gentle starting dose and check in at the lantus insulin support group would be what I encourage. gentle is much less than 3 units and more like 1 unit, depending on levels, and your hometesting will show you.

So a shopping list...
    -meter, lancets, ketodistix ( for testing for ketones) and chocolate ( for you :) )
    -low carb canned food, many samples to tempt your baby, with janet and binky's charts in hand... http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetic-cat-diets.htm
    a vet you can work with who is on board
    first tip off *vet offices should not be running a 24 hour curve....hometesting shows the levels without the added vet stress.

How does that sound? any questions?

Do you all have snow now? :)
    Kimmee

55. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi shellbell
    Welcome to the wonderful world of FD.
    I am new to this board since Nov. The information you recievd befoe my post is excellent.
    It is very overwhelming but there is eonugh info and support to get you through this.

My Max is 18 pounds. He was first on Caninsulin for a few weeks but I wanted to switch to Lantus.
    My vet recommended starting at 2 units but all I heard on this board was to start low and go slow.
    This is what I told my vet and that I wanted to start at only 1.u. She was okay with that. Now we are at 4.25 but I know we did this the right way.

Your kitty did not become diabetic overnight and it will not go away overnight.
    I have been told many times on this board that we must be patient, which is not always easy to do.

Just to let you know, in Canada you do not need a prescription for Lantus or the syringes. The Lantus I purchased at Walmart however I believe Walmarts are hard to come by in BC and the syringes are the BD's. Not the best or cheapest. You could order online from Hocks.
    You are in the right place here.

56. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Where in Canada? I'm in Calgary and there are others across the country.

I know it is tough to hear from complete strangers that your vet's advice is wrong, but it is. 3 units of insulin is a powerful dose and it can affect the first time or the 10th, you don't know. Now if you are feeding a dry food 3 units is a little less risky but it is still too much. The thing is, starting at 1 unit twice a day is like starting at hte beginning and then you work your way up PATIENTLY. By starting too high, you run the real risk of overdosing your cat.

There is a much lower risk at starting at 1 unit and working up to the right dose, than starting too high and risking.

Jen

57. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Well, that's concerning. At any rate, all diabetic parents should have this on hand, printed and on the fridge or at least handy:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1122

I am sure he does fine with other more common things but he just does not seem to be very savvy regarding FD. IT's not uncommon and if he is open minded he can learn a lot.

58. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Hi Shellbell -

I know this is hard, and confusing at times. I'm a relative "newbie" myself, here since the end of November.

I also was confident that my vet knew what she was doing when she raised Porky's dose of Lantus from 1 unit to 3 units in the course of a couple of days. But after reading, reading, reading all the info here and taking to heart the advice of other members on this board, I decided to start all over with 1 unit, and I'm so glad I did! Take a look at Porky's spreadsheet (the link is below). You'll see that even at 1 unit, he had some hypoglycemic close calls (a blood glucose reading of less than 50), and I continued to reduce his dose until two weeks ago, when I was able to stop giving him insulin. Porky is now officially OTJ (off the juice) - his diabetes is in remission! Check out his party: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1598.

I did immediately change Porky's diet from all high carb dry to low carb canned, but I was home testing at the time, so I felt it was safe. And my Porky is a big guy - he was 20 pounds at the time, down to 18.5 - but like the others have said, weight is not a factor for the insulin dosage.

I just wanted to relate part of my experience here, in the hopes that it helps you in some way. Hang in there - it will get easier! :D

59. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Poor thing!
    Yes, I was very shaky in the beginning too. My cat was diagnosed Nov, 11th 2009. I'm here since Dec I think. And home testing after she crashed a couple of times. You know... you only know your kitty is suffering, and dealing with powerlessness is so not my thing. I guess that's what made me very shaky. And stressing out about whether I will hurt her with all the things I'm doing. I didn't study pet health did I??
    So yep. I was absolutely shaky.

I'm glad to see your cat on Lantus. It seems a more stable kind of insulin than the stuff I have my kitty on (for now).
    So already a huge plus for you!

Start your cat on wet food only as soon as you can and let those wonderful people here guide you. It's going to be okay!
    Try not to worry too much if you can. You know, my cat has been diabetic and having high number for at least a few months. So a couple of day's before I'm getting it right wont make so much difference. With that in mind I've got myself a bit more relaxed. That way I could better absorb all the info I was giving here (and still get).

Good luck to you. And keep in touch

60. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

I agreed. :smile:
    Different topic though... :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.