My Grandbaby Lucky

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lucky Lou, Jul 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou New Member

Hi. My daughter has decided that the care of her diabetic cat will now be my responsibility 100%. I love this cat and think of him as my grandchild due to my daughter assuring me that she doesn't want children. Im learning a lot but I know I have a long way to go, before I'll be completely comfortable with the testing, monitoring and treatment of this disease. Im anxious, terrified and filled with worry. But most of all, I am determined to give Lucky the best possible treatment, care and love that I can. My hopes? Remission. We'll just have to wait and see. I thank all of you in advance for your advice and information you may share. Its all valuable.
    Luckys Grandma

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Lucky's Grandma! I have a "grandpuddy" too and I love her unconditionally, so I understand where you are coming from.
    Of course you are hoping for remission, but there might be some work to do before that can become a reality, if it's possible.

I also understand the anxiety, worry and terror, I have to admit I was not at all sure a couple of old duffers like "old man" and myself would be able to handle care and treatment for a diabetic cat. But, I found FDMB and read and read and read, then I started asking questions. The best information was here (the vet didn't even know what they know here) and the support was just what I needed.

We will help you learn about a good diet for a sugar cat, learn to test, work on injections if you need that, and provide information on the Lantus insulin you are using. It's a steep learning curve at first, but Grandma..you raised a child so you have vast experience already in the coping department! You aren't alone, hanging from a limb with your knickers flapping. :)

If you will take a few minutes and create a signature so that Lucky's information is available each time you post, we won't have to ask the same questions repeatedly.

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Next, post in the Main Health Forum, so that more members can read and respond. Many more eyes on that forum than this Intro forum. If you like you can simply copy your message here, start a new thread there, enter your title and paste.

I will be looking for your future posts, we Grandmothers have to stick together. :cat:

AliceMeowliss (GA) and Lucky Lou like this.
  3. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

A huge welcome. I understand the fear, uncertainty and worry only too well, as I'm sure nearly everyone here. You have come to the right place for information, help and support. This is a fantastic community of knowledgeable and caring folk.:bighug::)

See you around the lantus board.:bighug::banghead:

4. Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou New Member

Thank you for the warm welcoming. Im waiting for the testing supplies to arrive so I'll wait to create our signature once testing begins. But in the meantime here is most of the information that will go into our signature: Luchy Lou (Lucky), Nutered male, 14 years old, diagnosed 10/24/17, Prozinc 22 units on a U100 syringe every 12 hours (twice daily) Lucky weighs 18 lbs today. Wet Friskies and Dry Iams Indoor formula. Had been having recurring UTI but is clear of infection today.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  5. Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou New Member

One more thing, we live in Marshalltown, Iowa. Lucky is an indoor only cat and lives with his 15 year old dad. Lucky has alot of dandruff too.

6. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Is it possible you mean 2 units and not 22? Even with the conversion that seems like an awfully high starting dose! I just wanted to check! :)
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...prozinc-pzi-insulin-for-diabetic-cats.164995/
    Here’s the starting info for ProZinc!

This board has so much help and support and information. It’s truly been a lifesaver, for Alice. I hope Lucky is on his way to better diabetic regulation soon! :D

7. Jerry dutchboy

The dandruff can be caused by the diabetes. My cat had awful dandruff on his back for a long time and now that his numbers have come down the dandruff has disappeared. You can always edit/change your signature at any time btw. Beautiful cat, love the little white mark on his forehead reminds me of Harry Potter:)

Lucky Lou likes this.
  8. Idjit's mom

I made an error, why did I think you were using Lantus? So sorry. Cassandra @AliceMeowliss&Cassandra caught that...thank you my dear, and she has referred you to the correct insulin support group for further information.

As Deirdre @Jerry dutchboy told you, it's very easy to edit the signature when your testing supplies arrive, it's helpful to have as much of kitties info as we can when we read your posts.

Lucky Lou is a big boy, I can identify as Idjit is a large cat too. When he sleeps with me, he takes up a very large part of the bed!

You replied about diet: "Wet Friskies and Dry Iams Indoor formula. Had been having recurring UTI but is clear of infection today."
    Diet is a very important component of effective diabetic treatment and a low carb all wet diet has been proven to lower blood sugar levels. Dry food is usually much too high in carbs, and can contribute to urinary issues like UTIs and crystals because of no/very low moisture content. We all need lots of water in our systems for urinary health. In addition, not all canned food is low carb, there is a food chart at the top of the Main Health forum and we recommend using food under 10% carbs. Idjit's favorites were the shreds and fillets with gravy, which I learned were too high in carbs, so we changed to the pates and Fancy Feast Classics.

If you would, please read information HERE about dry food and you can visit www.catinfo.com which is a wonderful website about feline nutrition. If you consider changing the diet and reducing or eliminating the dry food, and even if Lucky is a dry food lover, we can help with tips on transitioning. However, it's best to be testing consistently before taking the dry food out of the equation, as it can significantly reduce blood sugar, require less insulin, and you will want to know "real time" what the effect is. This will help protect Lou from a possible hypoglycemic event. Same goes for replacing higher carb wet food with lower carb varieties.

Please start posting in the Main Health forum, so that more members can meet you and Lou, and help you with additional support and suggestions. This forum is just the welcome mat, and to help you to start posting in other forums for more exposure and information.

"Granny" Lou and Idjit

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  9. Jerry dutchboy

I did it too Lou thinking Lantus.

10. AliceMeowliss (GA)

@Idjit's mom and @Jerry dutchboy , what about the dosing and conversion that was mentioned? Was that caught right? I went and looked up things and did math, I remember vaguely....!

11. Jerry dutchboy

Not really sure what conversion/dose you mean Cassandra. I saw you comment on the 22U and have not seen a reslonse. I certainly hope that was just a typo.

12. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Okay, that is what I was asking, that should be a typo right? I had to go and review the conversion chart and ProZinc info before giving the earlier response so I wanted feedback from someone wiser than I! :)

13. Jerry dutchboy

Ha ha wiser than you...your funny

14. AliceMeowliss (GA)

......”more experienced” ?? “More knowledgeable” ?? “Extra triple super sure” ?? :p :D

15. Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou New Member

I wish it was only 2 units. Its definitely 22 units. I thought the same thing about being too high of a dose. He started at 10 almost 2 years ago. Thats back when my daughter took care of him. He recently went to 22 units and Im hoping that once testing begins that dose will come down. I think he might need a test for insulin resistance. I dont know for sure. The only thing I really know is that I want him to get better.

16. Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou New Member

Regarding Luckys diet.... I was told, just as you suggested, to wait till testing begins before removing the dry food. Thanks for the info regarding the filet variety vs the pate'. Lucky LOVES wet food and would LOVE to go to just wet. He's not too picky at all. Just as long as it IS cat food.

17. Idjit's mom

That 22 U puts a different light on the subject. There are tests that can be done to diagnose cats with conditions that require high dosing. Please get the signature set up so that people can see Lucky's info. I gave you the instructions in my first reply to your first message. Have you started testing his blood sugar at home yet?

You can visit this forum that addresses conditions that require high doses of insulin and read the information at the top of the page. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/acromegaly-iaa-cushings-cats.12/

As soon as you start testing you can record insulin and testing data on the spreadsheet we use here:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Then please start posting in the Main Health forum HERE , more members monitor that forum and you will get much more and quicker response. You need more help than I (or most of the others that try to keep an eye on new members' introductions) can give you.

@Sharon14
    @JanetNJ

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  18. Jerry dutchboy

Even funnier...is that how I come across jeez:D:eek:

19. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! 22u is a lot of insulin. Hopefully you can get your glucometer and start testing so we can see what’s going on. A change in diet should certainly help, and I’m glad you know to begin testing before the switch. My cat had acromegaly and required a high dose, and there are a couple other conditions that can require high doses as well. The testing and diet change will give us a clue as to whether Lucky may have one of them. As Idjit’s mom said, set up your signature, then post in the Main Health Forum where we can better help you.

20. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Is that how I do? :p:cool:

:bighug: This is the best place to find support and knowledge to help him, so I am glad you are here. Keep reading and asking any and all questions.
    As you were new I wanted to be sure and clarify dose just in case there really was a misunderstanding! I agree that testing for high dose conditions may be beneficial then, for him. @Idjit's mom gave you some great links to start with. I hope with more support and info that we can help you to get Lucky feeling much better soon!!
    If it gives you a little hope, my Alice was down to 4lbs, a walking skeleton, was hospitalized, but when I started really testing and getting more help on here and figuring out her doses and conditions, well.... now she is 7lbs of fluffy happy again. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.